Power standard engine can handle?

dean66

Jun 23, 2012
Elgin Morayshire
I have mk3 Ibiza cupra, I am currently in process of buying all the parts I want to get more power but to make up my mind on what I want I would like to know what sort of power the standard engine can handle? As far as I'm aware the weak point is the rods is this correct? Would love to forge it but don't have money to at moment :(. Any info on this would be great :)

Thanks dean

Aug 22, 2011
aberdeen
use the search bar dean. :). you will find plenty of pictures what happen to standard rods when you get abouve the 280lb/ft mark. it is a lottery some engines handle it fine and have been running with high power for a long time, others lasts weeks and end up with bannana rods.

dalegolf215

UNbanned
Jun 3, 2010
Rov'rum
if youre planning going big power then save for rods first, ...itl be cheaper in the long run not having to buy a new block

dean66

Jun 23, 2012
Elgin Morayshire
I have a ko3s to go on so was just gonna max that out but been thinking maybe ko3 hybrid instead to get 280 290bhp, so if decided to do that would I def need to do rods?

dean66

Jun 23, 2012
Elgin Morayshire
And ginge I've downloaded tapatalk app so I can get on forum as dont have Internet at home just now and don't think it has a search bar on here :(

Tucker157

Nov 20, 2010
Falkirk/Central Scotland
And ginge I've downloaded tapatalk app so I can get on forum as dont have Internet at home just now and don't think it has a search bar on here :(

Tapatalk does have a search function!

If going hybrid yes you will need rods, if just 'k03s' then if its aggressively mapped then you risk killing rods, if its granny mapped then it could be ok.... I say could be... It's torque that kills it, not bhp... And torque spikes are particular culprits!

These cars are 11+ yrs old now... Rods were a weak point when new!

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk HD

xedan

Oct 3, 2010
essex
just do rods its cheaper to do them before they go rather then thinking i should have done the rods once they have gone like my brother did

dean66

Jun 23, 2012
Elgin Morayshire
Think just go for maxed out power from ko3s then. Hopefully engine be okay at that. Don't have money to do rods just now :(. If it goes its fine know a boy with 2 or 3 engines so will get one then forge it.

dean66

Jun 23, 2012
Elgin Morayshire
Buy an engine and stand and forge it in a garage

Lob the k03s for the time being.

Im jusy banging rods in mine atm :D

Not got a garage or enough money for that just now.

Already got a brand new ko3s, got it cheap cheap :). So want to get that on, fit my s3 fuel pump and just need to buy a silcone tip. Then think got all same parts as mate ginge so go for a stage two map :). Last me for while maybe do more after ;)

Was looking through your thread chambers really nice cupra you have!! Really like the c pillar brace, did it come with everything you needed and just bolt straight in?

Apr 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
For all the hassle putting a K03s on its worth a shot, you might be happy enough with it. Then if you get bored of its power swap it out for hybrid or BT.
As for progressive maps, I can vouch for them, and it wasn't "mild". Perhaps depends on the mappers abilities

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.