Newbie about to buy a 1.8T 20V FR

-Rob

Hi there,
I'm going to be buying a '56 Ibiza 1.8T 20V FR next week.
The car is currently manufacturers standard, but I will be changing that! :happy:

It'll be a a couple of months before I do anything major, but I'll make a project thread (if you have a section on this site).

Rob

-Rob

Thanks mate, I'll get a thread going when I've bought the car. Is there anything in particular I should check before I buy the car? I've had a search on the forum, but can't find a thread that's relevant.

thehawk18

Nov 26, 2010
Lincoln
welcome to the forum :) make sure it drives well on the test drive, not really aware of a common fault as such. I know mine had eml for an intermittent purge valve which has cropped up a few times for people but its hardly a car ending problem. sooo all in all hopefully you get it and enjoy it :)

-Rob

Thanks! I've taken it for one test drive so far, and loved it! I'm used to a 1.2 Clio, so its a bit of a difference! Going for a 2nd test drive on Thursday! :)

Crafoo

Crazy Fool!
Apr 30, 2005
At home
Welcome to the site mate.

Pretty bullet proof cars to be honest, the engine is good and responds well to mapping, there isn't too much that goes wrong, you get the odd rattle and clunk from the suspension/drop links/bushes, MAF's can be flaky and coil packs are a fairly common point of failure but none of those things are mega expensive, in reality if all those things needed sorting you'd probably be looking at circa £200 for parts.

Depending on age of the car just make sure all the service bits have been carried out and on time, plugs, belts etc.. and you are pretty much good to go.

Enjoy.

-Rob

Ah thanks man! It's on 60k, but in immaculate condition. It's been well looked after.
Is there a thread or site outlining when certain parts should be replaced? The only thing I ever had to change on my 1.2 clio was the cambelt! :)

Crafoo

Crazy Fool!
Apr 30, 2005
At home
At 60k you're right on the button for cambelt replacement, don't take the car unless it's been done, get them to do the water pump at the same time too.

I was going to say look in your service manual but I guess as you don't have the car yet that's a bit daft ;)

I don't think from memory there is that much else that needs doing apart from the standard plugs, fluids and filters that you'd do on any other normal service interval.

thehawk18

Nov 26, 2010
Lincoln
very true, check its had a cambelt change. As luckily for me mine needed changing within a month of buying my car thus was done under warranty!

-Rob

As I'm a cash buyer, I'll ask the dealer to do a full service (inc. cambelt & waterpump change), tax for a year and a 3 month warranty. Might even be cheeky and ask for a bit of money off the listed price too! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

thehawk18

Nov 26, 2010
Lincoln
As I'm a cash buyer, I'll ask the dealer to do a full service (inc. cambelt & waterpump change), tax for a year and a 3 month warranty. Might even be cheeky and ask for a bit of money off the listed price too! ;)

haha may aswell be cheeky! they always put the prices up in order to leave room to negotiate anywho, and if the cars been on the forecourt a while they may want rid of it to make room for newer cars.

-Rob

Unfortunately, I can no longer afford the 1.8 plus insurance. I have however found a 1.4 sport that looks good. It's already been debadged, fitted with coilovers (need to check manufacturer), and fitted with a twin exhaust (probably just changed the tip, but I'll check before buying).

I'll be doing loads to the 1.4, so look out for the readers ride! :)

Crafoo

Crazy Fool!
Apr 30, 2005
At home
Insurance is such a big factor when getting a new car and something that often gets overlooked when people budget for a new car, shame you couldn't get what you wanted but it sounds like you've found a good substitute, all the best with it.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.