Newbie about to buy a 1.8T 20V FR

CraigFrTsi

"Dude I almost had you"
May 23, 2013
Stapleford, Notts
If you're planning on the cupra then save your money on the sport as there's no point, that way you have more to spend on it plus as you said insurance will be cheaper so there'll be a little bonus when you change ;)

thehawk18

Nov 26, 2010
Lincoln
As said above ^^^ if you know you want to get a cupra in a years time then theres no real point in spending money on modding the 1.4. Try and find one your relatively happy with for a year then invest more in the cupra!

-Rob

As said above ^^^ if you know you want to get a cupra in a years time then theres no real point in spending money on modding the 1.4. Try and find one your relatively happy with for a year then invest more in the cupra!

Yeah not a bad idea mate, I might just get a K&N filter and perhaps a Whiteline ARB. One thing I will definitely do is change the speakers, if the standard ones aren't good.

CraigFrTsi

"Dude I almost had you"
May 23, 2013
Stapleford, Notts
Not a bad idea but I'd keep it to things you could transfer to the cupra so you don't end up out of pocket for the mods as say for the arb might not be compatible between the 2 models so you'd end up paying for 2

-Rob

Checked all the parts earlier,it's got a Powerflow twin exhaust tip, TA technix coilovers and JBL rear speakers. Putting the deposit down on Monday, to buy it at the end of the week.

-Rob

Here are a couple of photos:

IMAG0564_zpsda8a37d6.jpg

IMAG0562_zpsc74dce27.jpg

Silentnight*

Mar 20, 2012
newcastle
My cheapest was £1300. I'm a 20yo with no points, 1 non-fault accident and 1 year NCD.
I'm planning on swapping to a Cupra this time next year (I'll be 21, 2 years no claims).

I'm 20 I pay £1152 2years ncb. 21 in 3 days and insurance renewal on September 1st praying for a good drop!

GreyUm

not sure if you do it already but make sure you have your mum on the insurance as a named driver. If she has not had a claim or police charge in the last 5 years it will drop. :) Even if she doesn't intend on using it you also have the nice reassurance that if you do get pissed then someone else is fully covered to pick the car up for you :D

Silentnight*

Mar 20, 2012
newcastle
not sure if you do it already but make sure you have your mum on the insurance as a named driver. If she has not had a claim or police charge in the last 5 years it will drop. :) Even if she doesn't intend on using it you also have the nice reassurance that if you do get pissed then someone else is fully covered to pick the car up for you :D
mother doesn't drive thank god! Couldn't imagine letting her drive it even if she could! She would aim for potholes, bottom out on speed bumps and probably eat McDonald's inside and spill chips everywhere. Haha. Good idea though! I thought my quote was good considering I was paying £2483 on a 1L 206 0ncb and the year after £1800. (Adrian flux, was the cheapest out there who would cover me.) AA wanted...£8000 to put me on my dads fully comp!!

I'd pay more than have my mum drive my pride and joy, lol
Damn right!

GreyUm

haha. Think you both missed the point. :p
She doesn't have to drive it being a named driver.

I insured my mum and my dad the first two years (1ltr yaris) as I found that just naming them on the insurance brought it down by £700. (Mum £500 and dad £200). Prices are/were stupid for a 17 year old in a 64bhp car. *Rolls eyes*
They are after my time but what about these black box things that monitor your driving? Potential money saving there I believe.

Pimped up vario

Cordy Cruizer
Nov 20, 2009
Belfast N Ireland

I insured my mum and my dad the first two years (1ltr yaris) as I found that just naming them on the insurance brought it down by £700. (Mum £500 and dad £200). Prices are/were stupid for a 17 year old in a 64bhp car. *Rolls eyes*
They are after my time but what about these black box things that monitor your driving? Potential money saving there I believe.

The stepdad has one and I think it brings it down next year if he's good but in my opinion it's the first rung on the ladder towards automatic speed controllers. The type that set the max speed of your car as soon as you enter that zone.

Silentnight*

Mar 20, 2012
newcastle

No no I get what your saying dude and yes it does make sense to bring the prices down dramatically but if she was to be a named driver this would give her the chance to drive it without my permission causing mayhem! Haha. As for that black box I wouldn't bother. They can tell how you drive: acceleration, braking, speed also heard they can feel what G your pulling (not a gangster on a night out) but don't know how true this is. Also you apparently get specific hours to drive in?! So say a 1.8t is going to be your first meaty car I can imagine this black box would rape your wallet...1st gear-waaaaaaaaaahp..2nd gear-waaaaaaaaaaaaaahp you get my drift? :p

GreyUm

Also you apparently get specific hours to drive in?! So say a 1.8t is going to be your first meaty car I can imagine this black box would rape your wallet...1st gear-waaaaaaaaaahp..2nd gear-waaaaaaaaaaaaaahp you get my drift? :p

fair play. I see your point about mum having the 'possibility' to drive it. Technically if she did take it without you knowing you could get her arrested for TWOC (taking without consent) but that might not go down too well :p

Yes - but currently black boxes only charge you if you go over double the speed limit. For me going from a 1ltr to a 1.5ltr 102bhp I found myself speeding very easily so yes, 1.8 and beasting it might hurt your pocket if you think you will hit 60 in a 30 zone.

Limited in certain hours of the day - some yes and some no. You can request 24 hr units.