Vagcom changes

GTunney

May 28, 2013
Newcastle Upon Tyne UK
Due to get my Leon SE around 29th October and was wondering if anybody knew of any changes that can be done with Vagcom.

I know a lot of modern cars these days allow you change settings through the car menu. But does anybody know of any changes which can't be done via the car menu but through vagcom?

Thanks.

StylancePaul

CUPRA Owner
May 31, 2006
Cambridge, UK
Be interested to know what else can be done, perhaps like enabling alarm chirps on lock/unlock.

I guess all this stuff is fairly standard, as most of the instructions seem to be the same across a lot of models.

Anyone know where the VAG COM port is on the car, then I can have a little nose around, I really miss the beep when the alarm activates from my Ibiza.

nokiauk

Feb 9, 2003
Edinburgh
I guess all this stuff is fairly standard, as most of the instructions seem to be the same across a lot of models.

Anyone know where the VAG COM port is on the car, then I can have a little nose around, I really miss the beep when the alarm activates from my Ibiza.

On my SE it's by the drivers right knee just under the pull down flap, if you kneel down you can see the blue connector.

kugaman1

Mar 6, 2013
Aberdeenshire
Ive got an aftermarket vagcom....
Problem is I dont think the software can be upgraded to the newer version. I think mines 10.1 or so.
Prob wont work on e Leon, but it worked OK on my Scirocco, Golf and wives Polo!

Andy

dw911

Mar 30, 2013
Your correct, you need the very latest vagcom,its a beta version and very much a work in progress and is very limited at the moment

dw911

Mar 30, 2013
Just to add I had the vagcom 11.6 and it just would not read anything on the mark 3, I've just upgraded to the beta version, but not had time to test it, soon as I do I'll post up what it can do on the mark 3
I mainly wanted to add in a rear veiw camera like the golf 7 has, the golf is quite easy to add one, as the seat is the same platform I thought it would be the same but after pulling the dash out it turns out that the seat head unit is not a whole unit like the golf, its just an alpine screen and the brains are in the glove box and are panasonic so if I'm going to fit a camera I need to hook it into the cambus which is not straight forward

Tripod

Hi guys, a newbie to Seat ownership and this forum but not to playing with Vag cars.

Having had my Leon MK3 Tdi SE with numerous extras about 3 weeks now I decided to have a 'play' with Vag-com.

Having downloaded the Current Beta version from Ross-Tech I found that this will indeed speak to the car and allow changes in some areas.

It's not perfect but it works.

I have enabled the needle sweep 'staging' and it works perfectly. Looks good too.

Cant seem to get the LH mirror to dip in reverse yet but am working on the Long Coding to enable it.

Am also trying to get the vehicle to recognise an aftermarket device via the cambus to enable the OpticalmParking sensors to be displayed.

What I do know is.....no one out there in the world of cars seems to know anything about the MK3 and how it works. It seems that nothing similar is out there.

Having removed the quad lock from the back of the glovebox entertainment system I was staggered. Never seen anything like it! Oh well, I'll keep trying........

Tripod

Mine does this as is, just put the mirror joystick thingy onto the L mode and put in reverse.

It would seem after some more investigation and 'playing' that this is standard on FR but only an option on SE etc.

I believe with time I should be able to 'Long code' via Vag-com to allow it to work on all models fitted with electric mirrors.

I may well have in the next few weeks an engineer from a well know vehicle electrics/equipment manufacturer coming to look at my car as it would seem that they have never had one and as such none of their equipment or manuals are set up for the new Leon.

They believe that they could get 'ahead of the game' by examining it now, as other areas of the VAG could/will go this way.

We'll see...

kugaman1

Mar 6, 2013
Aberdeenshire
Hey tripod,
Are you able to enable beep on lock/unlock?

I had this on my golf and scirocco. Its also done on my wifes polo, Id like it on the Leon!

Cheers

Andy

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
I was told by a VWG tech that the new MK3 doesn't user Can-Bus or KKL it uses a new technology hence why VCDS hardly works with it, im guessing they are re-writing it to work at the moment

dw911

Mar 30, 2013
Please let us know how you get on and the long coding for the mirrors if you manage to work it out.
How easy was it to do the needle sweep? Is it much the same as on the mk2 leon?

I too removed the unit from the glove box and thought the same as you
I noticed there are some spare pins on one of the plugs, but I can find no info on that unit or the screen in the leon, even the manufacturer Panasonic were not really sure if they had even made a unit like that when I emailed them

What I have found out, as I've been looking to fit the ops system as my plan to fit a reverse camera has not worked out as the leon unit is different to the vw golf head unit
To connect the ops you need to connect to the can bus , which you probably know
I have found you can connect to it via the front headlights wiring, I've got a wiring diagram and I'm just trying to work out which wires I need, so once I have I'll post up the info
Once its all in the hold up will be the vagcom software to make it work, so hopefully that will be sorted soon by ross tec or your people
Regards

Tripod

Hey tripod,
Are you able to enable beep on lock/unlock?

I had this on my golf and scirocco. Its also done on my wifes polo, Id like it on the Leon!

Cheers

Andy

Hi Andy,

The problem is with the Beta version of the VAGCOM out at the moment is that it doesnt give any assistance with the long coding, so this means that it is really trial and error and doing it blind.

To enable the beeps should be very easy when the VAGCOM update comes out with the coding assistance on it. But in short....No, not yet.

Tripod

I was told by a VWG tech that the new MK3 doesn't user Can-Bus or KKL it uses a new technology hence why VCDS hardly works with it, im guessing they are re-writing it to work at the moment

Thats not far off. It does use Canbus and KKL but with limited functionality. ie it has 4 canbus wires instead of 2 and it seems that some data uses one pair and other data uses another pair1 weird.

Ive spoken to a Seat mechanic who stated that the first time he fitted front parking sensors it took him over 8 hours of fiddling around to get the car to recognise them. He still doesn't really know what he did to get them to work...trial and error basically.

Tripod

Please let us know how you get on and the long coding for the mirrors if you manage to work it out.

I noticed there are some spare pins on one of the plugs, but I can find no info on that unit or the screen in the leon, even the manufacturer Panasonic were not really sure if they had even made a unit like that when I emailed them

What I have found out, as I've been looking to fit the ops system as my plan to fit a reverse camera has not worked out as the leon unit is different to the vw golf head unit
To connect the ops you need to connect to the can bus , which you probably know
I have found you can connect to it via the front headlights wiring, I've got a wiring diagram and I'm just trying to work out which wires I need, so once I have I'll post up the info
Once its all in the hold up will be the vagcom software to make it work, so hopefully that will be sorted soon by ross tec or your people
Regards

The needle sweep was easy (ish). It rejected the change 3 or 4 times before it went through. Didnt change anything at all but it suddenly accepted it. It said "out of range" the first 3 or 4 times.

Its path is;

17 - Instruments
10 - Adaptation
Click the drop down arrow.
Choose 'Staging' from the very long list.
Change the status to 'Yes'
Click 'Do it!'

Then turn the ignition off, lock and unlock car. then turn ignition back on and it should work....

It looks very smart.

Re canbus...see my previous post re it having 4 wires instead of the usual 2. Let me know how you get on.

Mark

wiganlad81

Mar 27, 2013

Picking up on the Panasonic bit - could this be related?!?

http://www.engadget.com/2013/08/13/qnx-panasonic-in-car-infotainment-partnership/