Faulty Electrics (immobiliser issue)

Jan 28, 2009
Glasgow
Posted this as a new thread but after reading through this I think it is more appropriate here.

Looking for a bit of help.
Mk4 ibiza cupra tdi etc etc
I go to start the car, turn the key, all lights etc come up and the relative ones go out as expected, turn the key and it fires up but dies right away.
This will happen on subsequent tries. I figured it was the immobiliser cutting in but the immobiliser icon does not flash.
The car will start after some time but can vary between a couple tries or a couple hours of trying.
Last night I spent hours trying to get it to start with no luck.
I've never really dealt with this type of issue, hence why I thought it best to ask. I've read mostly that it is immobiliser related and the cluster needs to come out to check it out and re solder the pins on the board, but not sure as my immob light is not flashing.
Before I try anything I thought if get some feedback because I'm sure this exact problem has come up before.

Vag com doesn't throw anything up, cam timing is fine, syncro angle set to around -1

Cheers guys.
Uzi

I removed the cluster just to have a quick look and give everything a wiggle. Put it back together with no luck.
Might just take it back out to check the solder on the pins but wanted to ask since I can't get to it again till tonight...

BigDave67

Having gone to the effort of removing the dials I would have re-soldered the pins. You can't always tell from looking. Although you don’t get the immobiliser light come on it can’t hurt to try soldering the pins.

Jan 28, 2009
Glasgow
Having gone to the effort of removing the dials I would have re-soldered the pins. You can't always tell from looking. Although you don’t get the immobiliser light come on it can’t hurt to try soldering the pins.

I agree, but unfortunately I had no gas in my solder that i keep in the car, and I was in the middle of nowhere...

DavieTDI

Brain dead
Aug 3, 2013
kilmarnock Scotland
You need to get the link for the image as that link just takes me to my gallery.. click on image then press get link and paste in here.
Do you have vagcom in when you try to start it.. could be that the transponder is duff on both keys or could be a wire some where that has came lose..
Try what i said in your last thread about moving the wires down at the fuse box ontop of the battery.

Jan 28, 2009
Glasgow
Yea I can't post the image as I'm using my phone.
It's the first photo which shows the cluster and the pins people talk about re soldering. The transponder isn't goosed because I tried the spare key with broken transponder and the immobiliser light flashes, whereas with my key it doesn't. I took my transponder out my key and replaced it with a coded one I have that was supposed to be used in my new flip key but never got round to getting the key cut. That transponder definitely works because after I coded it I tested it in my existing key and it worked fine.
I tried moving the wires around and checked the fuses on the battery. Will try all other fuses, try soldering the cluster pins and check other wiring tomorrow.
Cheers
Uzi

DavieTDI

Brain dead
Aug 3, 2013
kilmarnock Scotland
no that link does not send us to your pictures. it sends us to our picture library.
I dont think its your immobilizer if the light flashes with the other key. could be air in the fuel.

Jan 28, 2009
Glasgow
Here is the pic I was talking about.

m9d3.jpg

Ran full scan and no faults at all found. I touched both terminals to reset ecu and gave all wires a good wiggle, checked all fuses and even changed relay 109 as I had a spare.

DavieTDI

Brain dead
Aug 3, 2013
kilmarnock Scotland
immobilizer would show up a code as it did with my car. my car would start then cut out after a second or 2 and that would be it. when does your have the trouble.. is it random or is it when its been left for a while.

Jan 28, 2009
Glasgow
immobilizer would show up a code as it did with my car. my car would start then cut out after a second or 2 and that would be it. when does your have the trouble.. is it random or is it when its been left for a while.

my car was running no problems at all. the other day went to start it and it fired but died almost right away. this happened a couple times after which it started no problem.
happened again at the gas station, but started again after a few tries.
same day later on that night it happened but this time did not start after trying for so long.
Now it WILL NOT start at all, just cranks and cranks...

Its getting dark outside too so not got much more time to do anything...
Will put the cluster all back together and build it all back up.
Tomorrow I will test the crank sensor and see if the cam sensor is showing a reading on vag com during crank. Might try unplugging the cam sensor and trying to see if it starts and then trying the same thing with the crank sensor unplugged. that might tell me if one of them are at fault, because car can run on one sensor, as long as the other is not interfering.

Uzi

combatdude

Hello i made video on dissasembly and soldering faulty pins in 6L (mine had problem with fuel gauge, outside temp, no range and immo.) Also there is video of how to remove cluster from dash. Because i cant post URL's yet, You have to look for my videos in youtube channel named "PLcombatdude" (some1 may post links on this forum if they are helpfull)

Best regards from Poland :D

bald_eagle

yeah its blue but i like
Mar 25, 2007
Hello i made video on dissasembly and soldering faulty pins in 6L (mine had problem with fuel gauge, outside temp, no range and immo.) Also there is video of how to remove cluster from dash. Because i cant post URL's yet, You have to look for my videos in youtube channel named "PLcombatdude" (some1 may post links on this forum if they are helpfull)

Best regards from Poland :D

cluster removal link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztlAQO6ciBY&list=UU6CydCVJJbYhyqKfbH1qfvA

soldering link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9qgK23vSgM&list=UU6CydCVJJbYhyqKfbH1qfvA

Thanks for the guides im sure they will be useful :)

BMc

Dec 1, 2014
electrical fault???

I have a "58" plate seat ibiza and have what ithink may be anelectrical fault....when I go into the car and put the ignition on all is well with lights etc but when I start the engine my rear lights,interior lights,side lights,indicators,washers,horn all don't work...can anybody help me with this prob??....:(..anyone had a similar problem???......

Barn

Nov 25, 2016
Not strictly an immobilizer issue but I have a early 03 TDI Sport where the whole cluster now powers off after a couple of minutes. LCD panels go blank, no lighting, dials freeze at whatever speed & rpm I was doing at the time. Won't then come back to life & restart until I disconnect & reconnect the battery. Before I strip the cluster has anyone got the pinouts & details for the 8 pin black power connector which has an earth and 4 other wires connected?

regards, K

have this exact problem on mine now, had dash sent away for repair,resolder etc.

as a quick and dirty fix for this, couldn't i just wire up a switch to the live and earth wires that feed the cluster, that way every time the dash powers of, i can just flick the switch inside the car , rather than have to disconnect the battery?

cheers

Priezti

Auto-Electrical Monkey!
Feb 11, 2009
Doncaster
You could, it would mean testing for the ignition live and possibly the constant live behind the clocks. Other option and less chopping is, if the fuse for the clocks just powers the clocks and nothing important, you could extended the wiring out of the fuse box and stick a switch (whilst still having a fuse inline) in between the fuse contacts. That way when it comes to the clocks being sorted, you just unplug the loom you've made, stick the fuse back in and you're back to standard. You would only need a few terminals, some wire, the switch and some crimps.

Hopefully that makes sense

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.