new 1.2 tsi fr cam chain or belt?

x9moto

Oct 6, 2013
hi, as the title i did some digging on the internet and im getting conflicting reports, is the new tsi 1.2 a cam belt or a chain?

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Yes the new generation EA211 1.2 TSI and 1.4 TSI engines are using a Cambelt but these are only fitted to the Leon. The older 1.2 TSI fitted to the Ibiza has a chain.

Ah Ha, I think that I suspect "progress" - ribbed belts were only ever introduced to allow for more flexible engine designs and to reduce noise - well that was the industry "speak" back in the late '70s. (and here is me feeling smug having bought an Audi S4 with chains which will save me a £600+ bill every few years, well that is what changing the belts on my old VW/Audi V6 used to cost me!)

Baggik

Global Terminator
Oct 24, 2013
Slovenia
Chain is good, only if it is strong enough. If not, it is better to have ribbed belt, because replacing the belt is cheaper than replacing a weak chain plus the new leon tsi has an interval to replace belt every 210k kms and will probably sell the car before replacing the belt.

Sent from outer space using taptalk

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Right, one easy way to check is by lifting the bonnet and checking to see if you can see a black plastic oil filter cover/container, if so you have an earlier chain driven engine.

Another way is to check the engine type from the front sheet stuck inside the service book or under the boot carpet, if it is a CJZD for instance, it is a later engine and has a belt driven engine.

Another way will be to lift the bonnet and see if the LHS - looking in from the front - of the engine has a black plastic timing cover, if so it is a later belt driven engine.

The engine type I've quoted is a 110PS version, the corresponding 90PS version will have a similar looking type number.

dm222

Dec 7, 2013
Belt and it must be changed every 4-year/ 40k miles. They are seriously weak on the 1.4 16v and when they go cause catastrophic engine damage.

can't find the reference for the 4 years in the manual.
mine has 4 years now

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I thought that the handbook said something like 5years 40K miles, not certain just what I "thought" from memory.
I changed my wife's old Polo 1.4 9N belt at 4 years, probably about 36K miles, my daughter's late 2009 Ibiza 1.4 got its first belt change at 4 years 4 months and 32K, basically because I had read something about that engine being okay until 5 years 40K miles due to the deletion of one of the pulleys, so a bit simpler and maybe more reliable that the earlier engine version.

Now, I don't want anyone to take this as being the safe thing to do, but I've read on the Skoda forums that these belts are safe for a lot longer well beyond 7 years - but is it worth the risk - also it was said that "when you hear the tensioner pulleys getting noisy, it is time to think about replacing the belt etc" - again, I would not risk that, it could get very expensive!

dm222

Dec 7, 2013
at the manual only says 90k kms, no mention about age.

mine has 50k kms and 4 years.

Last edited:

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I would always include "years" as all the components will wear out with age, engine starts etc that comes with lower annual mileage - and the general advice is 4, or as I've suggested 5 years max.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.