ZBOYD's Mk3 Leon SC FR 1.8TSI DSG

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
This weekend I welcomed my latest SEAT, the Leon SC FR 1.8TSI DSG.

LeonFRSC_007.jpg

This is my 5th SEAT overall and my 4th Leon in succession, having owned a Mk2 Ibiza GTi 16V, Mk1 Leon Cupra, Mk1 LCR and a Mk2 Leon Cupra that now lives with Badger Bill. :)

My primary attraction to the Leon FR was mainly because I wanted to run a DSG, I've been struggling for a few years with problem painful joints in my feet. The arthritic flare ups have become more common sadly and were making it difficult to drive a manual (especially one with a performance clutch) it just became a bit too much to deal with, especially as much of my daily commute is stop/start town traffic. To the point that I wasn't driving the Cupra very much at all. :(

That aside the other factor that has pushed me toward the FR is the cost of living, I wanted something a bit easier on my pocket, both for tax, insurance and fuel costs. The FR fits all those aspects perfectly without losing too much of the fun factor I had with my Cupra's.

Not to say I won't look at Cupra's in the future, I'll certainly be keeping my interest alive and look forward to seeing how the new Leon Cupra develops if they do an R in the future I maybe interested in trading up.

However I don't feel like I'm slumming it in this FR SC. Its a stunning car to look at and to drive, the build quality, details and interior is so good and wow just so many toys to play with. :)

Got to thank the team at David Cook Motors who were a real pleasure to deal with, I was really happy with the deal and the service I have received.

They get a big recommendation from me. :thumbup:

Strangely this is my first Reader's Ride thread, despite my old Mk2 Cupra and the Mk1 R being quite liberally modified. I tended to share their developments across the forum really rather than in just one place.

However there won't be very much happening with this one, certainly nothing on the scale of my past cars. I'm looking at this car as a nice runabout for a few years, while I do some serious saving up for something lairy in the future. ;)

I'm looking forward to getting back to regular driving. :)

Anyway spec as follows:

2013 SEAT Leon Sport Coupe FR

Engine & Transmission
1.8 TSI - 7 Speed DSG

Colour:
Nevada White metallic with Titanium Pack

LED Headlamps and Technology Pack

Options:
Titanium Pack 18" alloys and titanium grey door mirrors
Electric Sunroof
Alacantara/Leatherette Bolstered Sports Seats
Convenience Pack
DSG - Flappy paddle steering wheel
Winter Pack - Heated seats
SEAT Sound system, subwoofer in space saver spare wheel and extra centre speaker in the dashboard.
Driver Assist pack, lane assist
LED interior illumination pack.

KK

Ibiza FR & 205 GTI
Nov 24, 2013
Stoke
Very nice!

Seen a few with the LED light set up and they look mint :D

Gotta say personally i think the light blue is the best colour for these but that white looks amazing

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Almost twice the fuel efficiency on the morning commute this morning. All stop/start traffic. Run it in Normal mode.

28mpg via the cars consumption info versus the Cupra that used to indicate around 14-16mpg on the same journey.

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Very nice. Good results on the fuel and not run in yet. :)

Yer not bad at all really, pretty much bumper to bumper. The start/stop activated a couple of times on the journey, at traffic lights mainly.

I was lightly braking when in the slow moving start/stop traffic so it stayed running.

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Very nice looking car, and a great write up!

Hows the ride with the DSG box? :)

Very smooth changes, runs really well but still getting to grips with how it performs.

There has been the odd occasion where its been a little hesitant. Albeit this is in Normal D mode not Sport.

Example, yesterday I was slowing at the approach for a junction to turn left, and looked to the right see if I was clear as I approached, nothing coming clear road, so i didn't fully come to a stop and just went for the left turn.

As I'd slowed the box obviously started to make its down changes, but then i got back on the gas it had a little pause where it was trying to decide what the hell i wanted it to do.

We are only talking a split second, but when you've put the action into motion your thinking crikey could of drove a bus through that pause. :D

dephead2004

Aug 3, 2013
Honest John has a piece on the hesitation at junctions. I have the 1.2TSi and have to say I've not noticed it. The theory is that it's to do with fuel delivery.

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/answer/28713/dsg-gearbox-problems
It stems from VW's ridiculous nannying mechanism that means you have to press the footbrake to move the selector from N to D. The switching can be slow to react and can make the assumption that because you were just braking you don't want to accelerate

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.