Common Mk4 Problems

DavieTDI

Brain dead
Aug 3, 2013
kilmarnock Scotland
Passenger window just made a noise but would not wind window down.. new regulator
Passenger door would not lock or unlock... Fixed itself after new regulator fitted
Fuel.volt and temperature gauge works when it feels like.. cleaned fuse connections on battery tray and moved cables over to the left and works fine now.
knocking from front end..still to fix
boot wont open..Still to fix
sluggish under 2000 revs.. egr to be cleaned and full decoke
rear washer jet dont work..Bugger that for now
Back later when new faults come to light

N4ome1979

I have just bought a 2002 Ibiza and have an issue with the blowers. I can hear them working but there is nothing bowling through any of the vents just the blower noise coming from the passenger footwell also it's very warm no matter how low it's set it will only blow hot air. Any one have any ideas?! :think:

bluemarvin

I got my 08 FR TDi 3 years ago - now done 44k. Issues have been:
- rear washer (twice - usually in winter when frozen)
- blown lower intercooler pipe
- broken front bushes
- Headlight flasher/stalk not working

(any ideas on the last as not yet fixed? - switch costs £90 & labour about the same!)

other minor niggles are noisy aircon and slight hesitation at low throttle.

welshmn

Oct 24, 2012
I have stupid hissing aircon. Blown intercooler pipe lots if smoke no damage and now dropping coolant and gunky oil on oil filler cap. But that could be down to short trips

snk

Jul 29, 2012
hi guys, i'm having a water leak in the boot, from the top of the roof in both side, its not for me the antenna, is from the inside of the struture itself, somebody know anything about this?

d11o.jpg

the leak comes from the red circle in both sides!

thks!

Last edited:

bluemarvin

Might seem silly - but have you checked your rear screen washer? The pipe for this runs up above the rear hatch then into the door via black flexible hoses (just above & to the right of your red circle). The washer system is known to 'disconnect' itself - particularly when the pipe freezes somewhere. Mine has popped a couple of times - but in the 'usual' place which is by the off-side wheel-arch.

If your washer isn't squirting (but you can hear the pump working) then this could be it.

Not sure how to fix it up there but hopefully someone else can advise.

Once fixed, make sure you use plenty of screenwash additive in frosty weather to reduce chances of happening again.

cheers

snk

Jul 29, 2012
hey, thk for your post but its not the washer, its only leaking when rains

2003v5

Picked up my Ibiza last Saturday. Lovely car but the steering wheel controls don't light up. Are they supposed to or not. Can't see what I'm doin when it's dark.

bluemarvin

Nope - at least the ones on my FR don't light up either - not only that, but in daylight I find the ac display difficult to see - so I end up switching sidelights on to get the display 'backlight' on.

After a few days of operating the wheel buttons (in daylight!) you sort of get used to where they are & what they do - so don't be too disappointed.

Have a good one

Mustang2044

Nov 2, 2013
Hi, I went to get my jack, etc out of my boot this morning and the boot wont open. It look like it hasn't been closed properly. Any one know what might be wrong with it? Thanks, Aaron

Tom_H

1.8 20VT
Jan 19, 2013
Medway, SE
Hi, I went to get my jack, etc out of my boot this morning and the boot wont open. It look like it hasn't been closed properly. Any one know what might be wrong with it? Thanks, Aaron

Try locking and unlocking manually with the key, had to do this on my old car.

Mustang2044

Nov 2, 2013
Try locking and unlocking manually with the key, had to do this on my old car.

Thanks. I went to my car yesterday for the first time since it would not open and then it opened just fine. Not sure what happened, thanks anyway:)

Entharion

My 2006 1.4 (74KW BBZ) Ibiza 93K has/had these issues in a years time:

Foggy headlights and taillights (common)
Lots of wind noise from the windows/doors (common I think)
Noisy rear suspension (not fixed because it's minor)
Tight lambda sensor cable giving engine faults (a new cable fixed it)
Knocking hydraulic valve lifters (fixed with some oil additive)
Groaning gearbox sound (help me figure this out in topic 393980 I can't link it...)
Something rattling in the recirculator (still figuring this out)

Last edited by a moderator:

BenjyButton94

Jul 7, 2014
Aylesbury

Hi Guys,
New to the site.

recently purchased a ibiza 6L 1.4 16V 75 sport for my first car

Engine management light seem to be a common issue

went to a garage and they said that the lambor sensors aren't communicating.

would it be advised to get the lambor sensors changed?

any help would be great :)

thanks in advance
Button

geoff.owen

Jul 21, 2014
Rear Wash Wiper

Seems to be a common fault. The fluid tube disconnects from the wiper arm and then sends the contents into the boot.

Fixed under warrenty

Same problem on 2008 Ibiza, after 2 hours trying to locate reason, discover pipe blocked between pump and rear wheel arch, so left it . Now have to use a plastic bottle, hand job!!

Kman.J

Apr 2, 2015
3 door mk4, front passenger seat will not fold down anymore to allow passengers in and out of the car. Getting really frustrated with this problem, have tried to tighten the cable on the inside of the seat by shortening it but this did not work. any suggestions?

seatibiza1.205

Apr 20, 2015
newcastle upon tyne
any ideas on when starting the car theres no compression at all currently been told its a timing chain issue and trying to get the pulleys off to have a look but cant seem to get them off to get to the housing cover right pain in the back side any ideas on location of crankshaft sensor so can lock the engine to get pulleys off?

edpgc

Dec 12, 2013
3 door mk4, front passenger seat will not fold down anymore to allow passengers in and out of the car. Getting really frustrated with this problem, have tried to tighten the cable on the inside of the seat by shortening it but this did not work. any suggestions?

I had a pound coin wedged in the tooth mechanism on mine that was stopping it from releasing the catch, have a close look at the mechanism from the rear footwell.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise