Towbar install

rdhma

Sep 3, 2004
Limerick, Ireland
Hello, longtime Ibiza FR owner here, currently looking at a Leon FR TDI 184.
I'm planning for a towball mount bike carrier.

Has anyone fitted a towbar to a Leon Mk3, any issues with it?

There's a towbar wiring pre-install option, but not sure it's worth it if an installer wires it anyway.

sweetfr

Misty
Nov 24, 2007
Co Durham
I have a towbar fitted to my 184. I wanted a detachable so that when the towbar is not in use it does not spoil the back of the car.

After a lot of research I decided to go for the genuine seat towbar and cover. Got towbar fitted by a local towbar installer who I had used before. No need to use Seat genuine wiring. Opted for 13 pin socket and used 13 to 2 x 7 adapter lead. A couple of pics. One with towbar hook in and one with cover on.

Hope this helps.

phileddy

Nov 2, 2013
The detachable tow bar in the picture, how much is this from seat and what was the damage to have it fitted and the electrics? Looking at having this fitted to my fr

sweetfr

Misty
Nov 24, 2007
Co Durham
Hi Phileddy welcome to the forum

Here are the costs,

Towbar £186
Cover. £ 60
Fitting & wiring up. £165
Paint cover. £ 25

Make sure you get the correct cover for the FR as it is different to the S/SE because of the shape of the bumper.

Doug_m

Jun 6, 2014
NE Scotland
Hi,

Im looking at fitting a detachable towbar to my SC, how does it work with the lower bumper?
Do you buy a new piece with the detachable cover?

Thanks.

sweetfr

Misty
Nov 24, 2007
Co Durham
Hi,

there is no new piece of bumper to be bought just the cover. The rear bumper has to be removed for the towbar to be fitted and while it is off a hole is cut into it using the template that is supplied with the towbar.

Doug_m

Jun 6, 2014
NE Scotland
Hi,

there is no new piece of bumper to be bought just the cover. The rear bumper has to be removed for the towbar to be fitted and while it is off a hole is cut into it using the template that is supplied with the towbar.

Ok thanks.

So how good quality is the cover for fitment etc?

Wont fall off kinda thing.

Guess you bought all from the seat dealer? Installed aswell?

Cheers.

tjdixon

Jan 24, 2002
Suffolk
Visit site
Hi,

Im just about to have a Tow Bar fitted to my FR, does anyone know the part number for the cover plate?

Is it only available from SEAT or does anyone know of another supplier?

I'm a little worried about having my bumper cut but I hope it will all be fine, they are professionals after all....

Instead of painting, I was thinking of Matt Blacking the under side of the bumper, following the lines of the already Matt Black number plate surround, if that makes sense, would this look naff? I was going to do it with sign writting vinyl as opposed to painting...

or should I just paint the cover to match for the sake of a few quid?

Also what bike carriers are you guys using?

rdhma

Sep 3, 2004
Limerick, Ireland
The cover is 5F0.803.595.A

I use an Atera Strada DL3 bike carrier, which I found to be the best trade off between weight, convenience and price.

tjdixon

Jan 24, 2002
Suffolk
Visit site
The cover is 5F0.803.595.A

I use an Atera Strada DL3 bike carrier, which I found to be the best trade off between weight, convenience and price.

Thanks - I had the bar installed yesterday, they cut a lot less bumper away than shown above, at some angles you can't see it so I am tempted not to bother with the cover (although the Seat one will not fit now)

I did a bit of research on the racks and opted for a Thule 9502, put it together last night and it looks ok - the real test will be when I try it out at the weekend.

dids

Apr 5, 2015
Stockport
Hello to tjdixon, do you have any pictures of your towbar and which make did you go for and swan neck or detachable ?

Conal

Sep 10, 2014
I have a detachable Witter fitted to my ST FR, no cover needed as the bumper cut is totally underneath so not visible at all when you are standing up. Have had problems with the factory pre wired electrics but that is another story!
Conal

dids

Apr 5, 2015
Stockport
I was thinking of going for a Westfalia swan neck type but I don't want a hole that's why I thought I go for that,now the guy who fitting it says that it may need a cover,great !

Muddybum

Mar 10, 2015
Hi guys,
I have bitten the bullet after quite a bit of research and ordered a Westfalia detachable bar with the full end to end wiring kit to a 13 pin end. This includes the split charging also, something not included on the manufacturer wiring as standard!

I am hoping to post up a photo guide to fitment once it all arrives, hopefully my privileges will permit on the forum.

Incidentally I use a Pendle bike rack and it is superb!

Cheers
Simon

Muddybum

Mar 10, 2015
Conal I was going to message you regarding those photos but I can't respond to PMs yet. :(

Cheers
Simon

dids

Apr 5, 2015
Stockport
Hello Simon can I ask how much the full kit is and where you have ordered it if you don't mind and are you fitting it yourself ?

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise