Help! Oil leak!

MikeHollis

Dec 9, 2013
Scarborough
This is posted in the Engine Section but I really to get some advice do I'm gonna have to post it too!

I've pulled off my drive and about 6 metres down the road a horrible beeping noise sounded with a red light by the Oil Temperature gauge.

I shut the engine off immediately and let it roll back down to outside my house. I've had no warning from the car about this, no oil spots on the drive but I opened the bonnet and spotted this:

2ns6e5j.jpg

It's a 2001 Ibiza Cupra. I'm going to pop to Halfords to get some oil, what's going to be the best to put in it?

Any help as to what it is would be great!

5w40 fully syn oil.

You need to find out why the light came on and you losing oil or your be wasting money on 10L of oil

I had a oil cooler hose shoot off and spat oil everywhere and smashed sumps on the ground losing all the oil, there the only reasons I've lost oil or had the light bing on

MikeHollis

Dec 9, 2013
Scarborough
I checked the dip stick when it's on level ground and it doesn't seem to have lost much if any.

I checked the coolant and that was really low. So I don't think it was the Oil temperature! Anyway, I topped the Coolant up with a bit of water and started it up, no lights or beeping.

I'm going to mop up the oil, see if it comes back and I'm going to check it every day this week!

With the coolant, is there any special type it needs for the engine? I'm going to drain it and fill it back up, is it a sealed system? Will it need bleeding?

Needs to be G12 coolant. Leave cap off till it over flows so all the air comes out and the secondary pump will do the rest.

The coolant shouldn't affect the oil light tho! :confused:

Could be the engine having no oil pressure which could be a faulty switch too a oil pump problem which you don't wanna over look.

Tucker157

Nov 20, 2010
Falkirk/Central Scotland
Check your oil level, Add oil to the mark, start it, watch for it pissing out somewhere and then fix the leak...

Could be a rotten/split turbo feed pipe and spaying oil ontop of the gear box... Or a hundred other things...

Which light exactly are you taking about? One on the dash? Or an aftermarket gauge? Is your oil level low?

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:
Even the oil return would have to be rotten near the turbo end to leak on the gear box like that. I'd thought the sump end would rot. Only thing near the to of the gearbox will be the PCV system (mainly the 90degree elbow on the rocker cover) rocker cover/head gasket or catch can if there.

I wouldn't be hung up on the oil on top of the box. I rebuilt my engine had coolant over flow bleeding the system which sat on my top of gear box, like your pic. I drive it to the Nurburg ring and back, broke down, got recovered 5 hours on a AA truck and the car got set on fire and the coolant was still caught ontop of the box when I broke it for parts.

The lights come in for a reason it just need investigating, like tucker basically said start at the beginning with adding oil and running the car and see what happens. Just be ready to switch it off.

Happy new year btw :thumbup:

Last edited:

MikeHollis

Dec 9, 2013
Scarborough
I think I was mistaken in a panic.

It was this light that came on:

2mnfxxc.jpg

It came on when the car was cold, the coolant was low and it never happened again after I topped it up.

I do have a separate Oil Temperature Gauge and it has never really gone over 90. It doesn't explain the oil on top of the gear box though...

Tucker157

Nov 20, 2010
Falkirk/Central Scotland
I think I was mistaken in a panic.

It was this light that came on:

2mnfxxc.jpg

It came on when the car was cold, the coolant was low and it never happened again after I topped it up.

I do have a separate Oil Temperature Gauge and it has never really gone over 90. It doesn't explain the oil on top of the gear box though...

Glad to hear it! And that's your water temp gauge! Haha, all good!

Just clean up that oil spill n keep an eye on your oil level and you can be sure you have no problems, if the puddle does not return!

Also change your oil and filter every 3-4 k you'll keep a much healthier engine!

Regarding your coolant change,the vag service procedure for bleeding the system is once you've drained it, fill it up, to the top of the bottle, cap it, start the car, turn the heaters off and hold it at 2k revs for 3 mins and then idle till the fans come on, once the fans turn off then turn it off and allow to cool for a few hours until all the pressure is gone from the radiator hoses and then top up your water if required!

Must be g13 and at least 40% concentration iirc (May be 30% will check for ya)

Last edited:

Tucker157

Nov 20, 2010
Falkirk/Central Scotland
Cool, Let us know if you find anything!

For reference :
G13 must be between 40 and 60% concentration, 40% being good for -25'c

Last edited:

andycupra

status subject to change
not the first time someone has made this mistake!

coolant level sensor - loads of people get this when the ambient temperature drops as the coolant will sit lower what cold.
top it up a bit, if you want you can wiggle and scrape the prongs, but 9 time out of 10 it just needs topping up a bit.
(if topped up to nearer 'max' when cold it may go above max when hot as the water/coolant will expland when hot, dont worry this is normal.

MikeHollis

Dec 9, 2013
Scarborough
Is G13 definitely what I what? I'm going to get it at the weekend, I'm changing a condensed headlight so I'll give it an oil & filter at the same time.

MikeHollis

Dec 9, 2013
Scarborough
not the first time someone has made this mistake!

coolant level sensor - loads of people get this when the ambient temperature drops as the coolant will sit lower what cold.
top it up a bit, if you want you can wiggle and scrape the prongs, but 9 time out of 10 it just needs topping up a bit.
(if topped up to nearer 'max' when cold it may go above max when hot as the water/coolant will expland when hot, dont worry this is normal.

Haha, I absolutely crapped myself when that loud beep went off! If I top it up to max will it sort it's self out?

Tucker157

Nov 20, 2010
Falkirk/Central Scotland
As wezza says, bumper off for headlight change. Did you buy a new one?

G13 is what your wanting, if doing a full coolant change iirc you'll need 2 bottles, I think its 4.5 litres for the system, so 40% of that needs to be g13

I list G12 coolant. But G13 super cedes all G12 coolant from memory.

Seems to list G12 upto 2002, G12+upto 2005, 2005 onwards list G12++ and 2010/11 onwards G13 with G13 covering G12 equivalents.

All red/pink antifreeze is 5year protection any lol

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.