DGJ's Leon Cupra TDI - Staggered Rims, AP Coilovers, 312mm Brakes, Milltek Turbo-Back

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
Just wanted to ask you mate, are you still running the 225s on the rears? im thinking about getting more stretch so think im gonna go for 205s all round on the 8j and 9js. do your rears rub at the min? Final one lol have you got a pic from front on, just wanna see if youre poking the front? i just want mine flush

Hey mate, managed to get some pics for you. Here's the front

From above

And looking down the car from behind

As you can see the wheels just pokes from the arch but it's nothin too bad, could probably go another 10mm or so with decent stretch.

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
Thanks for the kind words guys :) hoping to finish cleaning the side skirts and put them back on tomorrow.

Also need to find an annoying rattle coming from under the car/front left area. Have checked and tightened all the arb bolts, wishbone bolts and such and have tried wiggling the struts but everything seems ok so thinking either some other bushes or loose exhaust maybe?

hodge93

Oct 22, 2013
What boost gauge is that mate i want one it matched the red dash lights mine is white lol :(

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
What boost gauge is that mate i want one it matched the red dash lights mine is white lol :(

Hey mate, it's eBay item 370678178021, normally less than £30 but they must be out of stock.

It's a bit prone to buzzing at times but it's pretty responsive and the red matches the dials nicely.

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
Small Update:

A week or so ago I trimmed my bump stops on the rear struts and have got rid of the squeaking I was getting from the struts over even the smallest bumps :D took about half an hour, just jacked the car up, cut the top inch off the dust cover and cut the lowest 2 pieces off the bump stop. I then cable tied the dust cover back in place and lowered the car, no need to remove wheels :)

Another half an hour job I've just finished was putting a shim on to the mainshaft bearing in the gearbox, details can be found in Tully's thread HERE.

Was easy to do and has stopped 5th gear from whining when lifting off the accelerator. It's also made the gear selection feel more solid and only cost £10 :)

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
*Update*

As Ultimate Dubs is coming up and I didn't want my car looking tatty I decided on Sunday that it was time to try and sort my wheels out. As I haven't got the funds right now or know exactly what I want to do wheel wise I decided to Plasti Dip them for the time being to cover the white worming and scuffs as well as protect them from getting any worse.

They were starting to look pretty tired and there were even the odd patch of lacquer peeling/cracking on the machined lips of my wheels :censored:

A close up of the peeled section and the worst of my wheels!

I followed the videos and guides online and gave the wheels 5 or so good coats using "gunmetal grey", loaned my neighbour's garage for a few hours to do it and left the wheels on the car. It was dark by the time I finished and I didn;t have the best light but when I parked the car outside my house the wheels looked like this and I was excited for the end result!

After driving to work and parking up the next morning I realised that the "gunmetal" colour looked more battleship grey with a very blue tint to it :cry: It wasn't really what I was going for and the paint was a bit patchy, especially in between the (many) spokes :rolleyes: This was before I'd peeled the excess of the tyres or center caps.

It's been a few days now and the colour has darkened a little bit on curing and despite my patchy spray job and the colour not quite being right, I really like the dark wheels and am thinking of keeping them and going anthracite or even just going over the gunmetal plastidip with an anthracite plasti-alternative [B)]

Looking forward to Ultimate Dubs on Sunday and then not going to be doing much car wise for a while as I'm saving to go on holiday with my girlfriend and her family.

Comments/feedback welcome :)

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
Loving the darker wheels! Anthracite with colour coding would look awesome IMO. Especially on those wheels. Stance is spot on too :)

Thanks mate, me too although I wasn't sure I would like them! I'm thinking of a dark graphite colour, something a little lighter anthracite to keep the definition in the spokes. I still want your stance :p

very tidy car buddy .. love the colour

Cheers mate :D platinum grey is the best colour!

Hopefully see you on sunday mate :) imo you should do the faces body colour with polished lip ;)

Hopefully will do mate. I like that scheme and probably would have them done that way if I had stepped lip/polished lip or high end wheels. I think one solid colour works better on this design.

Crackin read mate, nice car.

When you fitted the big loop arb did you have to use different drop links?

Thanks mate :) no just new standard links and bolts.

Gutted though, I scuffed one of my dipped wheels already :cry:

tony08hooper

Oct 24, 2012
caterham surrey
Hi there,

Loving the leon mate looks really smart,

Could i bother you to give me some quick advice on fitting coilovers,

Going to invest in some AP coilovers next week and i was just wondering what else i will need?

I have a 03 cupra r and am planning to go quite low with it, will i need a new ARB and adjustable drop links? any help would be great

thanks

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
Excellent, I have been reading some did but I think its for the Cupras with the links that attach to the shocks instead of wishbones. Coilovers soon then lower a bit further once I get the bigloop.

Nasty! Maybe easy to "redip" spray them though?

The ones with the drop links on the shocks are the Cupra Rs, Cupras and standard models attach to the wishbone and have the driveshaft rubbing issues.

I looked at doing that but I'd run out of dip and need specific thinners to smooth down the rough edges first.

Hi there,

Loving the leon mate looks really smart,

Could i bother you to give me some quick advice on fitting coilovers,

Going to invest in some AP coilovers next week and i was just wondering what else i will need?

I have a 03 cupra r and am planning to go quite low with it, will i need a new ARB and adjustable drop links? any help would be great

thanks

Thanks mate :) if you're going for coilovers it's worth getting new top mounts and bearings, either powerflex or original cupra R top mounts as they're less harsh than poly ones.

If you have the Cupra R the arb sits below the driveshaft so there's no issues with knocking/rubbing.

Hope that helps :)

Gave the car a good clean ready to drive down to Telford tomorrow, lookin forward to a good show!

alcarp

The ones with the drop links on the shocks are the Cupra Rs, Cupras and standard models attach to the wishbone and have the driveshaft rubbing issues.

I looked at doing that but I'd run out of dip and need specific thinners to smooth down the rough edges first.

Gave the car a good clean ready to drive down to Telford tomorrow, lookin forward to a good show!

Yeah, I'm not after much more of a drop than 40mm but I want to er on the side of caution as I don't want a snapped driveshaft in 12 months after minimal rubbing on occasions.

I ordered some OEM top mounts and bearings today which will arrive Tuesday morning, so I'm all set, just need the coils to turn up!!

Weather is looking good for tomorrow aswell.