My Mk4 facelift Ibiza Cupra TDi

mjstokes85

Diesel Power
Nov 14, 2005
Long Eaton
Been a while since I updated, last month I got an interim service done, oil and filters. I also got new brakes fitted all round. Went with Brembo max discs and Pagid pads. Garage had a nightmare doing the front AP calipers, they had to drill the old corroded pins out and destroyed 2 hammers, a saw and a drill doing them. Very pleased I didn't attempt doing them myself!

Front:

Rear:

Only trouble is the front calipers could now do with a re-paint, which I will attempt later on in the month.

I also sorted out the gouge in my rear bumper I got from reversing in to someone in December, got the local chips away man to sort it, and must say I am very impressed with the work carried out. Trouble was about 3 weeks after him fixing it someone drove in to the back of me, fortunately the only damage they did was to smash my number plate and holder so had to sort some new ones out.

I have ordered some LED bulbs for the rear number plate so will get them fitted soon.

STILL need to fit the rear spacers I've had sitting around since December too.

Next on the list after that is the Forge turbo pipe and hard pancake pipe.

Last edited:

mjstokes85

Diesel Power
Nov 14, 2005
Long Eaton
Mj your car is amaizing I love it a loot man :) good work congrats :)

Thanks for the kind words!

Upgraded the rear number plate bulbs to LEDs the other day, will try and get some pics later when dark. Planning on an LED boot light too to throw some more light in there and ordering the black screen wash and coolant cap to tidy up the engine bay.

Car will be going in to the garage again Wednesday as my new brakes are squealing like a piggy at the front. Once they are sorted I will be repainting the calipers again, then fitting the forge hard pipe and turbo pipe and cleaning and polishing my intercooler and finally fitting my rear spacers :D

mjstokes85

Diesel Power
Nov 14, 2005
Long Eaton
Unfortunately Pagid pads on the front do not agree with the Brembo max discs, horrendous squealing that shows no sign of easing. So I bought these to be fitted tomorrow :p

mjstokes85

Diesel Power
Nov 14, 2005
Long Eaton
Got the Ferodos fitted today, so far so good. Also asked for the brake fluid to be changed but the garage can't remove the bleed nipples from the calipers so not sure what to do right now! I posted in the MK4 section about it: http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=398350

Also got a new toy in the post yesterday and just had a go with it. Autel Maxscan 405 which I have read good things about on here. Only got 28 quid on ebay.

No faults found so all good.

JayFR150

Fresh & Clean
Jul 20, 2008
Near Gatwick
That code scanner looks legit for 28 quid, there's so many on eBay... What is the difference between this and the ones that are 100 quid plus?

mjstokes85

Diesel Power
Nov 14, 2005
Long Eaton
That code scanner looks legit for 28 quid, there's so many on eBay... What is the difference between this and the ones that are 100 quid plus?

Not sure to be honest! I was just looking at the diagnostics section on here and the 405 kept getting bigged up as pound for pound the best value scanner you can get. It's even cheaper here: http://www.obdii.co.uk/vag-diagnostic-tool/maxiscan-vag405

I doesn't log any data like VCDS would but if it does find a fault it isn't just a generic code, it actually tells you on the screen the problem.

Earlesscube

Sep 10, 2013
Rep. of Ireland
Got the Ferodos fitted today, so far so good. Also asked for the brake fluid to be changed but the garage can't remove the bleed nipples from the calipers so not sure what to do right now! I posted in the MK4 section about it: http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=398350

Also got a new toy in the post yesterday and just had a go with it. Autel Maxscan 405 which I have read good things about on here. Only got 28 quid on ebay.

No faults found so all good.

Your ride looks sweet man!
I've a black MK4 too so now I can see what she looks like when cleaned up...

Great minds, I just bought this off ebay last night, is it easy to use.

And again awesome

mjstokes85

Diesel Power
Nov 14, 2005
Long Eaton
Your ride looks sweet man!
I've a black MK4 too so now I can see what she looks like when cleaned up...

Great minds, I just bought this off ebay last night, is it easy to use.

And again awesome

Thanks mate! I like to keep the OEM look as much as possible. Next up is the hard upper boost pipe and forge turbo boost pipe.
Yeh the Autel is very easy to use, just plug in, turn ignition on. Select the top option (VW/Audi scan), then it lists all the modules, select a module and select scan and see what comes up. Some modules of course don't exist on our cars like "All Wheel Drive" so it will just say unable to access module. You can erase codes for each module, if you have any. Cheaper than taking it to a garage for a scan so it pays after the first use!

mjstokes85

Diesel Power
Nov 14, 2005
Long Eaton
Used this air con cleaner at the weekend, only about £3.50 from ebay, car smells fresh now and have got rid of that horrible damp smell that you can get when the AC hasn't been used for a while.

Also just ordered the Forge turbo pipe and hard pipe from Awesome, they did me a good deal on the 2 so will get them fitted next week when I am off work and polish the intercooler whilst the bumper is off.

Lavery

Apr 12, 2013
Leigh, Lancashire
We are gonna have like for like soon! I bought some polishing bits last week to have a go at cleaning/polishing the cooler up haha.
Car is coming along nicely :)

mjstokes85

Diesel Power
Nov 14, 2005
Long Eaton
We are gonna have like for like soon! I bought some polishing bits last week to have a go at cleaning/polishing the cooler up haha.
Car is coming along nicely :)

Haha I know! I have some 15mm rear spacers I bought before Xmas I still need to fit as well! I am just going to use my meguairs all metal polish and some wire wool then a foam pad, that's what I use on my exhaust tip and that came up nice! I'm not fussed about it being a mirror like finish, I just want it visible through the bumper. Might paint the seat sport lettering on it red too if I can do it accurately.

CraigFrTsi

"Dude I almost had you"
May 23, 2013
Stapleford, Notts
Haha I know! I have some 15mm rear spacers I bought before Xmas I still need to fit as well! I am just going to use my meguairs all metal polish and some wire wool then a foam pad, that's what I use on my exhaust tip and that came up nice! I'm not fussed about it being a mirror like finish, I just want it visible through the bumper. Might paint the seat sport lettering on it red too if I can do it accurately.
Sorry for a slight high jack, MJ might have to give you a shout as need help cleaning car for a meet tomorrow at Chesterfield, gotta see how motivated I feel lol

mjstokes85

Diesel Power
Nov 14, 2005
Long Eaton
Not much happening of late, the forge boost pipes are on back order at awesome gti so gotta wait a few weeks for them to come, which means no intercooler polishing yet. Got a mixed grit sandpaper kit from Aldi for £4 so will use that to polish it up.

Borrowed this book from work, very in depth and hopefully can teach me a few things!

The rubber on one of my front wipers split, so bought a new pair of Bosch ones.

mjstokes85

Diesel Power
Nov 14, 2005
Long Eaton
Had a disaster on Tuesday, giving it some beans on the way to work and all of a sudden there was a cloud of black, blue then white smoke from the back and lost all power. Had the RAC out and confirmed my turbo had more than likely blown up. Got towed to a seat garage near my parents so I could walk back to theirs and borrow my dads car. Seat phoned the following day to confirm the blown turbo and quoted me a pant wetting £2700 for a brand new turbo direct from seat or £2000 for a remanufactured one.
I could not believe the price, however they explained I need a new FMIC as pieces of the turbo blades have damaged the fins, my intercooler pipework all needs changing, the oil needs changing, the oil filter and oil lines all need changing and possibly the pump need chaning, oil seals need changing, cylinders need inspecting for debris. Basically a lot needs doing. So I asked them if they would fit my new forge turbo hose and pancake/MAP pipe replacement whilst they are doing it and they said yes, so that saved me a bit more money. They are also going to refit my headlight cover that I can't get back on :D
The guy managed to source a recon turbo and the final price (unless anything else is bust) will be around £1850.
Looking on the bright side it could have been worse if I had runaway which the RAC man said I was lucky to avoid judging by the amount of oil in the IC pipes and smoke.
Car will be in the garage until early next week as the job will take around 10 hours.

mjstokes85

Diesel Power
Nov 14, 2005
Long Eaton
The garage phoned and the operation went very well, they need to keep the car for one more day to burn the oil out of the exhaust as there is a lot in there, should have it back either tomorrow or Wednesday.

mjstokes85

Diesel Power
Nov 14, 2005
Long Eaton
Got my car back today and it feels great. My annoying hesitation/stutter around 2k rpm has gone, no more turbo police siren noise and much smoother torque delivery, no massive dump of torque at 2krpm like before then nothing much before or after that. Turbo spools up nicely then delivers smoothly, before it was just nothing, then everything at once.
New intercooler looks awesome through the front bumper too, might polish it up for ultimate bling. :lol:
Car feels really smooth to drive it even idles better and is quieter.
The engineer at the garage said he can't fit the hard forge pipe because the end that connects to the rubber boost pipe is too narrow and the pipe flops around?! Now everyone here that's fitted it has the same pipes so I can't see why that would be the case, will have to do it myself, maybe he couldn't be bothered and just made an excuse up. Car is desperate for a wash now it's covered in tree sap and bird poop but tonight's predicted massive thunderstorm should wash that off for now.
Still a fair amount of smoke coming out, especially under load, but should be gone within 500 miles they said.

Lavery

Apr 12, 2013
Leigh, Lancashire
You've made me paranoid about my car now mate haha!
It's clean as a whistle under boost, no smoke at all but when engine is cold I get a bit of a siren noise. Although my power doesn't spike.
I know what the guy means about the loose connection to rubber hose on the forge pipe (behind head lamp) I had to really clamp down on to mine but there's no issue, it's because the pancake pipe requires some real persuasion to remove and I think the rubber pipe stretches a bit

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.