When do the dials light up?

Jul 17, 2004
West Lothian
Sometimes I notice they light up when you don't have the headlights on and other times they aren't lit up at all. Does anyone know when they light up? It's just something I've noticed recently.

I know I've not worded it very well!

shadak

Feb 13, 2014
I started noticing this too Im sure there is some kind of pattern.
Mine stay lit up going in to the tunnel for example but after couple of seconds they go dark. Im thinking it reminds me to turn the headlights on by leaving me dials in the dark lol (as I dont have the auto option).

Ant

Jan 19, 2014
North Somerset
The dials will dim to prompt you to turn your lights on when it's dark. If the headlights are on, or if it's light outside, they will always be lit.

shutcorea

Nov 22, 2011
Mexico
The dials will dim to prompt you to turn your lights on when it's dark. If the headlights are on, or if it's light outside, they will always be lit.

Not quite...this was covered on another thread but I cant find it.

The cluster has a light sensor, when it detects light....it lights up, when it's dark...it takes like 3 seconds to fade away. This when having your lights off.

Try it, if you have auto lights, turn them off (0 position) and when dark, you'll see only the red needles light up, then, with your cellphone or a small flashlight, point it to the dials, after a second or two, remove the light and you'll see the dials fully lit.

I don't know why they work that way, I prefer the way my mom's Altima work...cluster lits up all the time, auto lights on or off but at least since the MK2 leon they work like that...

jc_boc

Missing the CUPRA R!
Jul 18, 2008
Desborough
Not quite...this was covered on another thread but I cant find it.

The cluster has a light sensor, when it detects light....it lights up, when it's dark...it takes like 3 seconds to fade away. This when having your lights off.

Try it, if you have auto lights, turn them off (0 position) and when dark, you'll see only the red needles light up, then, with your cellphone or a small flashlight, point it to the dials, after a second or two, remove the light and you'll see the dials fully lit.

I don't know why they work that way, I prefer the way my mom's Altima work...cluster lits up all the time, auto lights on or off but at least since the MK2 leon they work like that...

I think it's a good system if it will get a driver to turn their lights on at night time. It seems to be an epidemic here in London where folk just don't bother turning on their lights at night time.

marjohn56

May 31, 2014
London
I think it's a good system if it will get a driver to turn their lights on at night time. It seems to be an epidemic here in London where folk just don't bother turning on their lights at night time.

Oh a man after my own heart, I thought it was just me!

Either no lights or side lights only. Have they ever read the Highway code, sections 113 to 116 if anyone wants to check.

There seem to be a lit of cars in London with faulty indicators too, stranage that.:shrug:

Last edited:

J888ohn

Apr 1, 2014
Falkirk
I've noticed that fault is quite common in BMW and Audis, maybe its just me.

Haha. Just remember the new Leon is essentially an Audi A3 in disguise. Funny enough my indicators dont always self cancel, must be the shock of being used. :D

leon1p

XBL - dervturbo
Jun 30, 2006
Aberdeen
www.simplyrc.com
Is the function of this not just the same as a smart phone.. in bright light auto brightness increases to counter glare.. then in darkness it dims down so as not to be too bright. This confused me when wiring up my boost gauge in my last leon.. couldn't understand why it should dim when lights are on. It's a bit like night mode on satnav I suppose.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.