Squeaky Windows !!

lumor

May 18, 2011
ah yes I can certainly see them breaking there. They are a different shape and don't fit square in the slot. Probably creating a weak spot.

Lewwy

L6 WWY
Feb 5, 2012
Bedworth, Warks
Its not the wire its the ends that wont hold on, the cables arent made as well as the OEM ones.

Deffo dump the £12 kit, the only proper way is the replace the whole lot, otherwise as said you will be stripping it all off again, and i think the Altea door mechanism and card removal is the most awkward I have done on any car. Full genuine regulator should be available for approx £90 from dealer.

Lewwy

lumor

May 18, 2011
what a waste of 3 hours of my life. I can't get enough tension to get the spoil on the regulator.

Dec 5, 2007
N W Leeds
I got the frame/kit from Eurocarparts £67 and did mine about 3 weeks ago. Probably not as robust as OE part but if it lasts 5 years (loads of white lithium grease sprayed everywhere!!) then I'll be happy.
Long job, but went back together very easily.
Little tips:
The slam/lock mechanism is on a very flexible piece of white plastic but you do need the spline socket to undoi from the door.
The little screw under the rubber cover in the end of the door releases the oval metal insert at the end of the door handle on outside, which then allows you to release the door pull cable. I put string on end to thread back thru when reassembling.
If door card won't come off you have probably still got a bolt in somewhere that you have missed!
You have to think about whcih part of the assembly slides back in first then jiggle this way and that to fit all the projecting ends in!

nikolas1

I fix my window on my own. One of 2 cables on a passenger door was on the end of his life. It is 3 h yob.
altea is 2005.
You need:
Bike cable 1,5 mm thick, 1.3m long
End for cable ( orginal end is 4x4x4mm hexagonal with hole in midle)
Butter knife
torx 10, 20, 30
Gedore 10
wrench ZX 8 (12 pins)

you need to take pictrue of every step, otherwise you are in deep sh....it
this helped also

partsbase.org

Last edited by a moderator:

SNAP-ON

May 24, 2009
Had squeaky front windows last summer when it was warm , got on my nerves so tried silicon spray etc etc down the window channels but no different . Then one day the passenger side went bang on way up then last week my drivers side done the same lol .
Since fitted oem regulators no prob and no poxy squeaking lol . Done them myself for about £85 a side from my local tps and a horrible job to do imo

Lacer

Ateca FR 1.4 DSG
Apr 29, 2004
Westbury, Wiltshire
Its that time of year again for this problem. I'm having the issue on both sides so thinking of taking the door trim off to have a look & see if it needs cleaning or greasing up before I commit to new regulators (which I get is the most likely outcome) but what geases or silicone sprays do I need?

Big Ejit

Wassamarranow?
Aug 8, 2007
Brum
Check out post #75. I used the light oils I keep for my Mountain Bike. It worked a treat until the cables frayed in the motor mech, then the reg had to come out anyway.

Greegiecee

Loving my SEATs
Oct 9, 2011
Glasgow, Scotland
My driver's window now has the dreaded squeal. I took the door card off (OMW I now hate the person who designed this car with a passion!). My cables looked fine, I couldn't see any sign of fraying. So I sprayed loads of grease on the cables and popped it all back together. The next day the noise was gone.

But, now 2 days later it is back. Also, the anti-pinch sends the window down when it is just near the top making it open all over again.

I presume this means I have to replace the regulator. Can I just check if this is the part I am looking for?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SEAT-ALTE...Car+Make:Seat|Model:Altea&hash=item461b94a4ba

I know it won't be the same quality as an OEM but given the love hate relationship I have with my Altea I am hoping it will get me through a few years. Unless someone can recommend an alternative?

Thanks

nikolas1

I did that yesterday on my drivers door. I put grease on every cabel, every blue wheel, on metal guides, on main wheel ( took apart a motor set).
For now the squeaking is gone.

Lacer

Ateca FR 1.4 DSG
Apr 29, 2004
Westbury, Wiltshire
Replaced my regulator this afternoon on passenger side. I recommend having 2 pairs of hands very useful. Cured the squeaking but on the way up kinks on something and ends up going back down. Took it all apart again and couldn't find anything obvious so will have to live with it. Still an improvemen. Broke a couple bits of trim ooops will have to be replaced

Jordan_Howie

Hi there have you checked the bowden cable that attatches the door handle mechanism from the inside is routed correctly. this causes a rubbing noise

Lacer

Ateca FR 1.4 DSG
Apr 29, 2004
Westbury, Wiltshire
Hi there have you checked the bowden cable that attatches the door handle mechanism from the inside is routed correctly. this causes a rubbing noise
I'll double check but think its ok.Thanks for the help though. It's wierd as the window kinks as nearing the top but ive tried adjusting everything but no change

nickjones1

Jul 21, 2011
What a great post by MWG,

fantastic breakdown with perfect pictures.

Thank you, did mine last night, 1.5hrs and it was all back to normal.

Thank you MWG, great informative post.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.