Cupra LED Side Sills

hubbly_bubbly

[center][img]http://i374.
Aug 18, 2008
Johannesburg, South Africa
Seeing this is the latest trend on most of the new cars today I wanted to see if I could make my own LED side sills.

The inspiration was this side sill from an Audi R8.

35he1l2.jpg

I drew up the sill design as I wanted it and had my cousin make the name plates for me. They are made from white Perspex with a gloss black vinyl sticker on top (chose these colours to keep with the theme on the car already).

6gacfl.jpg

35a7lz8.jpg

I pulled the plastic sill trims out the car, measured and marked the cut-outs and then using a dremel cut and ground the plastic to the desired shape. I neatened the cut out using a file.

2qjar93.jpg

w8kg9g.jpg

33pca3b.jpg

While cutting I made sure to keep all the clipping points in tact so the sill could still be clipped firmly back into place. I clamped the nameplates and then glued them into place using some high strength adhesive and silicone to seal all the way around the edges. Leaving it overnight to set.

vqnl8k.jpg

1gres5.jpg

To light up the sills I used strips of flexible LEDs, wired them to my interior lights (see my puddle lighting thread for wiring details).

2lmsxuo.jpg

2cp6tf8.jpg

Side sill fitted back into the car and end result.

2h2r221.jpg

eqqz2a.jpg

28h0jnl.jpg

I’m really happy with the way they came out, it’s exactly as I had hoped. They are connected to the interior lights so are switched on when unlocking and they go off when the car is locked and ignition switched on. The pictures make them look quite bright but in person they are more subtle.

Feb 6, 2014
Lincoln
Between this and the footrest mod, your leon will be bathed light. Lovely led goodness haha. Looks ace mate, wish I had the nous to make me some FR ones!

Stylance

Stylance
Apr 6, 2011
Ashford kent
Seeing this is the latest trend on most of the new cars today I wanted to see if I could make my own LED side sills.

The inspiration was this side sill from an Audi R8.

35he1l2.jpg

I drew up the sill design as I wanted it and had my cousin make the name plates for me. They are made from white Perspex with a gloss black vinyl sticker on top (chose these colours to keep with the theme on the car already).

6gacfl.jpg

35a7lz8.jpg

I pulled the plastic sill trims out the car, measured and marked the cut-outs and then using a dremel cut and ground the plastic to the desired shape. I neatened the cut out using a file.

2qjar93.jpg

w8kg9g.jpg

33pca3b.jpg

While cutting I made sure to keep all the clipping points in tact so the sill could still be clipped firmly back into place. I clamped the nameplates and then glued them into place using some high strength adhesive and silicone to seal all the way around the edges. Leaving it overnight to set.

vqnl8k.jpg

1gres5.jpg

To light up the sills I used strips of flexible LEDs, wired them to my interior lights (see my puddle lighting thread for wiring details).

2lmsxuo.jpg

2cp6tf8.jpg

Side sill fitted back into the car and end result.

2h2r221.jpg

eqqz2a.jpg

28h0jnl.jpg

I’m really happy with the way they came out, it’s exactly as I had hoped. They are connected to the interior lights so are switched on when unlocking and they go off when the car is locked and ignition switched on. The pictures make them look quite bright but in person they are more subtle.

I actually love this! Please take some money and send me some!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hubbly_bubbly

[center][img]http://i374.
Aug 18, 2008
Johannesburg, South Africa
Thanks everyone for the compliments!

Its difficult to sell as there was so much custom work involved (not everyone is happy to take a mini grinder to their plastics, are they?). I will be looking at ways to make a kit that will be easier and quicker to fit then they will be available to buy! Watch this space :)

Thanks everyone for the compliments!

Its difficult to sell as there was so much custom work involved (not everyone is happy to take a mini grinder to their plastics, are they?). I will be looking at ways to make a kit that will be easier and quicker to fit then they will be available to buy! Watch this space :)

Make up a kit with the plate, LED's, a template/tracing for where to cut and a decently written how-to and these will sell easy! (obviously you might need to make up some Leon FR kickplates aswell :D)

lsg60

Mar 31, 2014
Make up a kit with the plate, LED's, a template/tracing for where to cut and a decently written how-to and these will sell easy! (obviously you might need to make up some Leon FR kickplates aswell :D)

This :)

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise