Leon vs golf

chrispyvrs

Dec 25, 2012
Hi guys,

I currently own a mk5 gti and enjoy it. I however, am starting to look at seat Leon's and in particular the FR TDI. I've always liked the shape and know they are based on the same chassis as the golf.

I think with the changes in my mileage, the leon ticks all the boxes. I'd be after one with xenons, sat nav and if possible a sunroof.

Do you reckon it's a good change? Are they quite similar? Ideally I'd be looking for around 4k on my golf and maybe a further 5k towards it. What can I expect for around 9k?

I'd be interested to hear your views and thanks in advance.

Chris

Jul 1, 2014
Nottingham
Go for it, I've got a 170 Cr FR and i love it. It's got to be one of the best cars out there for combining power and fuel economy.
You'll be lucky to find one with xenons and sat nav for 9k though, and as for the sunroof, only ever seen one with a sunroof and that was in a pic posted on here from a car in France lol.
Instead of xenons you can get a HID light upgrade from the stock lights for around £50/£60.
Just keeping looking around, one should pop up for a decent price :thumbup:

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
I find the golfs tend to cost more but you get a higher spec for your money. I'd have a Leon 170cr without a doubt but the rarity of full leather and other high spec extras is a real shame.

They are wicked to drive though, especially with stage one Revo software.

J400uk

Jan 7, 2010
London, UK
I definitely prefer my Golf than I do the Leon Mk2 I had before. VW interior is much nicer and general build quality a higher standard. Yes it's the same mechanicals but the Golf is just a better ownership experience IMO.

Never2old

Jul 5, 2014
North East
I sold my mk5 golf gt 18 months ago for a seat leon fr and very happy with it, I would say the golf is finished off slightly better but for money wise get the Leon

Stylance

Stylance
Apr 6, 2011
Ashford kent
I definitely prefer my Golf than I do the Leon Mk2 I had before. VW interior is much nicer and general build quality a higher standard. Yes it's the same mechanicals but the Golf is just a better ownership experience IMO.

Depends on what you get? That's too broad.. My old Leon 1.9tdi mk2 stylance was 100% better than my friends mk5 golf as his was basic, no rear speakers no rear window switches etc etc.

Personally I think the models fair very much the same.. The golfs may lead slightly but this is reflected in the price.. Much of muchness!

Feb 6, 2014
Lincoln
My FR is very similar to our old mk5. The leon is better specced, but the golf was only an S so was pretty poverty spec. Quality wise, I doubt there is that much in it. Both are much better than any Alfa, Peugeot or Citroen, but not as nice as an Audi or BMW.

Last edited:

Stylance

Stylance
Apr 6, 2011
Ashford kent
My FR is very similar to our old mk5. The leon is better specced, but the golf was only an S so was pretty poverty spec. Quality wise, I doubt there is that much in it. Both are much better than any Alfa, Peugeot or Citroen, but not as nice as an Audi or BMW.

Hmm .. I'm obiviously biased being a Leon owner, but I had a break from VAG and bought a 2014 118d coupe (mapped), cost me 32k so you can imagine the spec.. Only two extras I didn't have (auto lights + auto washers) & yes the build quality was good but... I'd still rather my cupra r than that.. Or my dad's x6 or my uncles 14 320d... Preference & perticulars I'd say!

P.s... I wrote the bmw off... Flood damage.. Lucky I had gap, but still loved getting back to a Leon!

Stylance

Stylance
Apr 6, 2011
Ashford kent
I was purely talking about interior quality, but 32k on a 118d is serious optioning!

To be fair vw do include little goodies like footwell lights, fabric inside the door cards etc lol. & yeahh starting price was 26k silly mistake well recovered by a write off + gap lol

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.