Running rough - coilpack?

hergest

May 16, 2005
I may have a coil pack issue.

I recently experienced a very stuttery engine on acceleration; the engine management warning indicator came on. I left it for a couple of hours, and then it seemed to resolve itself. However, I can hear a slight rattling when I accelerate. I thought this was perhaps something physical, eg. exhaust mounting clips loose.

However, at a recent service they carried out a computerise interrogation which revealed intermittent misfiring fault in cylinder number 3. They carried out further tests which revealed all OK.

They advised possibly will require a new coil pack for number 3 cylinder if fault returns (£90.24 inc vat fitted), but also advised to replace all coil packs if 1 is required (£242.16 inc vat).

The garage say they are 90% sure that coil 3 was faulty, but seems okay now. Could this explain a slight rattling noise when accelerating? I don't detect any stuttery engine, seems to be running okay.

Do I really need to replace all 4 coil packs, or just the one that is likely to be faulty?

The car is a Cupra FR (2005), 70,800 miles.

Contemplating changing the coils myself (I'm no mechanic, but the guide made it sound fairly easy).

Any idea on current prices for coils? Should I go to my service centre to order standard Seat ones?

pugaudio

DO NOT PAY TO HAVE YOUR COILPACKS CHANGED ! it is so easy just get a flathead screwdriver pop the connector off and pull them out , you can get a set of oem coilpacks for around 70-80£

hergest

May 16, 2005
DO NOT PAY TO HAVE YOUR COILPACKS CHANGED ! it is so easy just get a flathead screwdriver pop the connector off and pull them out , you can get a set of oem coilpacks for around 70-80£

Thanks. Looks easy enough, but I don't know if this is really my problem.
It sounds like something is rattling a bit under the hood, only when I accelerate.
Garage said it could be that one coil is damaged, but don't know which one. Coil 3 was flagged as having a fault when car wasn't running right, but further diagnostic test showed it was working correctly.

skinny monkey

Apr 6, 2014
One of mine died from a bit of boost last week. Diagnosed by removing one plug at a time - was clearly number 2 cylinder as nothing changed when I unplugged it. Turns out the coil was the early type. My LCR was not covered by the recall (checked on the vin). Replaced that one by itself as I was in France and just wanted to get home, but have ordered a full set of 4 genuine ones. I understand part 06A905115D is the latest version? So I'll have one spare in the boot just in case.

Disconnected the battery for a little bit to clear the fault light as it stayed on (and might be my imagination but it still felt a bit lumpy until I did this)

Last edited:

hergest

May 16, 2005
I changed coil 3, as the garage said that one was flagged with a warning (but didn't come back when faults were cleared). Car is running okay, but I still hear a metallic rattling noise when starting car cold, or when accelerating over ~2500 rpm. When car is idling, even cruising in 5th gear at low revs, the car sounds fine.

I tried removing each coilpack (disconnecting the power lead) in turn, and each affected the engine at idle, so I assume I do not have a coil pack issue. I checked the exhaust, and that seems fine.

Spark plugs were replaced 1-2 years ago.

Any idea what could be causing this noise?

Miss Chief

Jun 4, 2011
Could a faulty coil pack cause very rough running on startup but if I let it idle for a couple of minutes to warm the engine a little it then drives, accelerates and boosts fine? Leon Cupra 180, 2004.

Bigjohn84

Intagram / johnyoung84
May 5, 2015
Miss chief your cool pack may be on the way out but only way to see is if you change them, take one out at a time and start your car you will find the one possibly two that are knackerd If your cool pack fails you no about it, it's constant juddering and rumbling noise, u can't pick up any speed atol, mines went befour and I got them out a Passat 2.0T I also carry two spare in my boot just in case.

Last edited:

Bigjohn84

Intagram / johnyoung84
May 5, 2015
Hi,

Anyone know if there is a 'how to' online, so I can change one of my coil packs, its gonna be number 3, so need to know how to take the bit above it off...

Robbie you just take ur engine cover of and unplug the coil pack then pull it out, plug 4 you will have to take a plastic case of top first 3 Alan key bolts. While ur there I'd pull ur spark plugs out also and clean them, make sure the gaps correct and not bent in. Make sure there's no oil on ur spark plugs also, Hope this help.

Chris D

1.8 20v
Apr 30, 2016
Struggles to start

Hi guys, every time I try to start my car it really struggles to fire up. I have to pump the accelerator abit to get it started, but once its started it idles perfectly and drives spot on. I have changed my CTS, I've had it plugged in and no fault codes appear, could it be a simple case of change my battery? As the light appears for a couple of seconds after it fires up then goes! I've been and had the starter motor, alternator and battery checked and they are all apparently okay though..? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Daveb77

Mar 19, 2008
I just had one coil fail, ran as described here with hesitation, struggling in neutral etc, EML flashing when on boost... replaced. less than a week later another two same fate... All now new as well as a damaged plug (replaced all 4)... Does seem like when one goes best to do the lot.!!!
Now running very well although I've got the fear to push hard until i get confidence in car again!
D

Reactions: Rich.T

Daveb77

Mar 19, 2008
So on way to work today, same issue, jerky on cold start first / second gear, idle seemed OK. Felt hesitation on boost around 4k, pulled back and cruised fine part throttle etc. Next acceleration around 4k more than part throttle and same, EML flashed and thereafter im convinced idle is slightly more less stable (if that makes sense) but car OK when 'normal' driving. Whilst i have just had 3 coils replaced, the final coil was judged to be 'not old' by garage and left as was (Bosch type though). Fingers crossed it is final coil now only... Should have insisted it was done last week i know...

Cat was running really smooth up until this morning (colder than recent) but to be fair i have not put more than part throttle as fearful of the above happening!!!

If not the last coil? MAF, sensor of some kind?

Cheers,
D

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
So on way to work today, same issue, jerky on cold start first / second gear, idle seemed OK. Felt hesitation on boost around 4k, pulled back and cruised fine part throttle etc. Next acceleration around 4k more than part throttle and same, EML flashed and thereafter im convinced idle is slightly more less stable (if that makes sense) but car OK when 'normal' driving. Whilst i have just had 3 coils replaced, the final coil was judged to be 'not old' by garage and left as was (Bosch type though). Fingers crossed it is final coil now only... Should have insisted it was done last week i know...

Cat was running really smooth up until this morning (colder than recent) but to be fair i have not put more than part throttle as fearful of the above happening!!!

If not the last coil? MAF, sensor of some kind?

Cheers,
D
Did/have you scanned the car for codes? You should get a code for the appropriate cylinder when you get a coilpack failing, seems weird to have all 4 go so close together, but it's possible.
First thing I would do is check and replace the spark plugs if not already done. Could be a plug causing a misfire rather than a coil.

Daveb77

Mar 19, 2008
Did/have you scanned the car for codes? You should get a code for the appropriate cylinder when you get a coilpack failing, seems weird to have all 4 go so close together, but it's possible.
First thing I would do is check and replace the spark plugs if not already done. Could be a plug causing a misfire rather than a coil.
cheers mate, car going in on Thursday for drag and fingers crossed simple fix... Had all 4 plugs replaced with last 2 failed coils... weirdly seemed a bit better today on boost (still took it easy really) but defo think idle and slow speed on cold start is more 'stutter'... taken shine off the motor for sure!

Will update once garage have had a look!
cheers for feedback / suggestions.
D

Daveb77

Mar 19, 2008
cheers mate, car going in on Thursday for drag and fingers crossed simple fix... Had all 4 plugs replaced with last 2 failed coils... weirdly seemed a bit better today on boost (still took it easy really) but defo think idle and slow speed on cold start is more 'stutter'... taken shine off the motor for sure!

Will update once garage have had a look!
cheers for feedback / suggestions.
D

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.