so the garage says

cubixgames

Apr 16, 2007
Co. Durham
So had the lcr in the garage today to get problems sorted witg thermostat to be told their is no problem with it.

Now got to take it to an auto election to see if theirs a break some where in the cabling to the fans at the front of the car.... starting to get rather annoyed at her.

They say thats their is no fan engagement at all not even when aircon is being used and would not fit the thermostat.

Any one else got any ideas on what it is and what i can do to get her back on the road ?

cubixgames

Apr 16, 2007
Co. Durham
Nope just tested to see if their was hot and cold parts of the engine. Checked all fuses and tried to trace wires they could see. Im a amateur when it comes to doing any of this my self and so far is costing a small fortune taking it too different garages to her checked

Dave_c85

Dec 1, 2013
Leave it idling for about 20 minutes and then fans should come on, first at low speed then at high if it gets too hot. My low speed fans don't come on, just high speed, although low speed does work with air con on, which is weird....

cubixgames

Apr 16, 2007
Co. Durham
Ive got none at all. Had it on two computers and both say its the cooling sensor so ive picked one of them up and now looking to find how to change it my self

cubixgames

Apr 16, 2007
Co. Durham
So ive replaced the sensor as per the error code. Topped her up with coolent. Let her run for a while. She gets to 90 and goes no higher does not drop but still no fans are kicking in.

I have no idea how to do this manual wire up of the resisters and would not even like to try it. Electric engineer says every thing is ok. Two garage's just give me the same **** excuse and will not fit a new thermostat.

So i give up. Is their any one close to the consett durham area who can give me a hand with this stupied bloody car or who wants to buy a leon cupra R before i get my bat out errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

cubixgames

Apr 16, 2007
Co. Durham
And now their appears to be a funny clicking noise coming from what sounds like the drivers side of the engine !! Stupied f*****g car !

teeburn12

Dec 13, 2013
bolton
to test the radiator fan you need to connect a 12v feed to the radiator fan motor. this will eliminate the actual motor.
from reading on here though its a common problem for the resistors to pack up, as said earlier on in the thread. the link above is a DIY fix instead of having to buy a whole new fan unit to change a cheap resistor.
there are a few guides about on changing your own thermostat if you have the tools needed if you still want to change it.
if you feel the bottom hose when the car is hot it should be hot if the stat is working. the stat is independent of any sensor so it should either work or not. aslong as water is circulating fine

grahams81

Oct 14, 2010
County Durham
If you can't fix the fans following the diy, or do any testing then your gonna have to bite the bullet and either book it into a garage that knows how to diagnose problems.... Or main dealer, be prepared to pay for a new fan assembly.

Or look for someone who's breaking one locally to you.... But as its a common fault the replacement you buy may be no better.

cubixgames

Apr 16, 2007
Co. Durham
Im going to have a go at doing the thermostat on sunday since i already have the part. And im going to strip the fans out and have a look at them on sunday too as i have a spare battery in the garage. Think i understand the other page a bit better now i actually slowed down and carmed down lol. If the fans buggered is it worth replacing it with an alternative such as a slim line fan or manually wire up a fan switch.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.