DGJ's Leon Cupra TDI - Staggered Rims, AP Coilovers, 312mm Brakes, Milltek Turbo-Back

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
Ah cool, maybe I'll try it then now I'm not needing to use my car as much!

Will keep that combo in mind, any decent set up isn't exactly cheap though! I'm liking the latest pics of your car mate.

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
Cool, look forward to seeing the updates! What you got planned while it's off the road?

I had a nice message from Demon Tweeks yesterday, my milltek back box has arrived and the cat-back system will be fitted tomorrow afternoon :dance:

Will try and get a before/after video to show how the non-res compares to standard.

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
Update

I had my milltek cat-back fitted today at Demon Tweeks, took less than an hour and sits snugly in the bumper recess.

je3ebemy.jpg

It does sit quite far back though so hoping I'll be able to move it a bit and get it sitting better.

First impressions are good, the turbo spools up much more quickly, there's a nice bubble on idle and a good rasp on full throttle. There doesn't seem to be any more cabin noise or drone when cruising and it looks awesome!

I am disappointed that it doesn't make the owl/pigeon sound though! Guess I'll have to get the cat gutted sharpish :p

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
Wow this is lovely

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cheers mate :)

Gonna have a look at the exhaust when I get chance, it comes in 3 sections so gonna see if I can loosen the back-box, pull it out and clamp it so it sits flush with the bumper.

Next up, new brake discs and pads, de-cat and hopefully a wheel refurb to either bright satin silver or gunmetal grey similar to the Rota matte gunmetal colour :)

Haydn1992

Oct 16, 2013
Manchester
Those exhausts look fantastic - something i am strongly considering!

How much did the system fitted set you back? (if you dont mind me asking)

Would also be interested to hear the noise it makes over the standard pipes

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
Those exhausts look fantastic - something i am strongly considering!

How much did the system fitted set you back? (if you dont mind me asking)

Would also be interested to hear the noise it makes over the standard pipes

Thanks mate, they do make a hell of a difference of the back of the car!

The system was £380, fitting was £57 but I had 2 tyres changed at the same time so it was only about £40 (all supplied/fitted by Demon Tweeks).

I've taken a before and after video, just need to edit them together and upload it! Will try and get it done soon.

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
Here's a quick video I put together of the exhaust before and after. I've tried to alter the sound levels so the difference is as close to real life as possible.

The original exhaust was definitely more muted and duller sounding, the Milltek is louder, more aggressive and actually reduced some of the cabin drone at idle!

Let me know what you think gang :) still need to move the back-box further back to sit the tailpipes flush to the bumper but really pleased with it otherwise.

Last edited:

Haydn1992

Oct 16, 2013
Manchester
Thanks for this - good to finally find a decent comparative video

You at any shows this year? Wouldn't mind having a listen in person

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
Cheers mate :) sorry for the late reply, haven't been up to much car-wise recently! Except for it freewheeling down a hill in to someone's wall, mounting the pavement and cracking the sump in the process :cry:

Got a new pattern part one on order with new oil, filter and gasket sealant so gonna have to get on my back under the car and swap the sump over.

I'm also in need of a front drivers side light, Platinum grey wing and Platinum grey FL Cupra bumper if anyone happens to have said parts going for a reasonable price... :D

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
So, another boring update... I'm back on the road, but my wallet is far lighter!

I managed to do the sump on my drive, took a while due to two fiddly bolts hidden up inside the gearbox casing. Took if for a test drive, everything was sealed properly, smooth running and no leaks, however the car was pulling to one side and thebstwering wheel wasn't tracking straight.

Had a look and the track rod was bent just where the threads start, looked like a boomerang! I got a new track rod, track rod end and booked the car in to have it changed along with my rear discs and pads to make sure I don't have any more handbrake failures! All was well until the guy went to refit the pads and found one of my calipers was seized...a new caliper and refit later and the car was up and running but not tracked yet.

I had a spare hour on Thursday mornin so thought I'd run the car to Demon Tweeks to get it aligned on their 4 wheel alignment system. First issue, I had 2 front tyres with threads showing where they were already low and had obviously been scrubbed from driving without proper tracking. Two new Toyo TR-1s were promptly put on and that was that sorted. Secondly, the castor between the damaged drivers side and normal passenger side was off by over 1° meaning somethin else was still bent. A new lower arm was ordered and fitted, the wheels tracked and now the castor is back to within 0.16° between each wheel :)

Unfortunately all these extra bits mean that the bill mounted to over £450 :cry: at least I'm back on the road and can concentrate on gettin the bumper, light and arch sorted. Have a new light sitting in the living room, just need to sort the bumper and watch now. I also have a milltek downpipe/decat on the way thanks to cocadave so will be getting that fitted when I get chance :)

Sorry for the lack of pics, haven't been doing all the work myself and it was raining when I did the sump.

Cheers for looking!

Sep 29, 2008
Bradford
So, another boring update... I'm back on the road, but my wallet is far lighter!

I managed to do the sump on my drive, took a while due to two fiddly bolts hidden up inside the gearbox casing. Took if for a test drive, everything was sealed properly, smooth running and no leaks, however the car was pulling to one side and thebstwering wheel wasn't tracking straight.

Had a look and the track rod was bent just where the threads start, looked like a boomerang! I got a new track rod, track rod end and booked the car in to have it changed along with my rear discs and pads to make sure I don't have any more handbrake failures! All was well until the guy went to refit the pads and found one of my calipers was seized...a new caliper and refit later and the car was up and running but not tracked yet.

I had a spare hour on Thursday mornin so thought I'd run the car to Demon Tweeks to get it aligned on their 4 wheel alignment system. First issue, I had 2 front tyres with threads showing where they were already low and had obviously been scrubbed from driving without proper tracking. Two new Toyo TR-1s were promptly put on and that was that sorted. Secondly, the castor between the damaged drivers side and normal passenger side was off by over 1° meaning somethin else was still bent. A new lower arm was ordered and fitted, the wheels tracked and now the castor is back to within 0.16° between each wheel :)

Unfortunately all these extra bits mean that the bill mounted to over £450 :cry: at least I'm back on the road and can concentrate on gettin the bumper, light and arch sorted. Have a new light sitting in the living room, just need to sort the bumper and watch now. I also have a milltek downpipe/decat on the way thanks to cocadave so will be getting that fitted when I get chance :)

Sorry for the lack of pics, haven't been doing all the work myself and it was raining when I did the sump.

Cheers for looking!

HAHA, I just spent all night on and off reading this thread to find its you I sold the Miltek to. Sorry to hear about your car and hope you're happy with the pipe...

I had a moment a couple of years back after driving home from work a bit fast and got my brakes steaming hot, got home and had a wash and got into bed, just about to fall asleep when my neighbour knocked on the door to tell me my car was sitting in the middle of the road and resting in-between 2 cars that normally back next to each other, I couldn't believe how lucky I had been..

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
HAHA, I just spent all night on and off reading this thread to find its you I sold the Miltek to. Sorry to hear about your car and hope you're happy with the pipe...

I had a moment a couple of years back after driving home from work a bit fast and got my brakes steaming hot, got home and had a wash and got into bed, just about to fall asleep when my neighbour knocked on the door to tell me my car was sitting in the middle of the road and resting in-between 2 cars that normally back next to each other, I couldn't believe how lucky I had been..
Haha thanks for takin the time to read it all! Yeah really pleased with it, it was in great condition and sounds nice!

Yikes, sounds like you were very lucky there! If I take off the cost of havin a new rear caliper and 2 front tyres then it hasn't been that expensive to repair, just need to get the bumper and light sorted now...

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
Ok, so small update and catch up...

The car is running well now, no more issues regarding the damaged parts and gave me chance to do a little bit of upgrading!

For those who are interested, here is the old sump that came off:

24f602412259818d32d42df47158bdc6.jpg

c11483d1e0487a3801f4490cd18dc788.jpg

4e34d36a6b9a89698c215a7b48a1395a.jpg

I don't think the huge hole is all from where the car mounted the pavement but it's still pretty sizeable and the speed the oil came pouring out then it could have all been from the impact!

Now on to the update part :D

I picked up a few bits recently waiting for some time to be fitted:

855d9ec5f199cf0a32a6323c6d250dad.jpg

Box number one contained some 3mm and 4mm silicone vac pipe to do the vac line simplification

69ba677d32498ad29058faac0718c7df.jpg

Next up was a Darkside EGR delete pipe and a 3/4" plastic outlet coupler from B&Q to join the 2 coolant pipes together from the EGR cooler

af868f7d9e5d2efcd198746a1dbd49cd.jpg

And lastly was a Milltek decat downpipe off cocadave, opened it up today to get fitted and it was in great condition, fits nicely to the rest of the Milltek system and definitely has a deeper note on WOT and that slight chirp sound on overrun. I had it fitted at Fat Dubbers near Wrexham and they managed to accommodate my annoyingly low car.

267aacb5237a6d6b94d8ec0f4c6764ec.jpg

I did the EGR and cooler delete along with a vac line simplification the other day, and it really cleans up the engine bay! The engine does give a little shiver when powering off but nothing I can't live with, and it idles nice and smooth and seems to pull a bit harder as well. This is the standard bay:

8b5753a91ff7e621784226b491945d0f.jpg

And with the EGR, cooler and most of the vac lines deleted. I followed the guide for PD engines on uk-mkivs and once I got stuck in it was quite obvious which pipes went where.

a3fc172c48dcc405eeb2112682ba7dc3.jpg

I retained the vacuum reservoir as I saw a few threads where tuners recommend keeping it (specifically Nicky at R-Tech where I could possibly be looking to go for a remap) and it hasn't had any ill effects yet.

So finally I've got some performance/upgrades done and can enjoy the car for a week or so until I can get it in to the body shop to get the bumper sorted out. I've been looking at some new wheels recently but with the winter weather on the way these will be waiting until the new year now. Any comments are welcome and thanks for looking :D

puchos

Apr 30, 2005
North Wales
Ok, so small update and catch up...

The car is running well now, no more issues regarding the damaged parts and gave me chance to do a little bit of upgrading!

For those who are interested, here is the old sump that came off:

24f602412259818d32d42df47158bdc6.jpg

c11483d1e0487a3801f4490cd18dc788.jpg

4e34d36a6b9a89698c215a7b48a1395a.jpg

I don't think the huge hole is all from where the car mounted the pavement but it's still pretty sizeable and the speed the oil came pouring out then it could have all been from the impact!

Now on to the update part :D

I picked up a few bits recently waiting for some time to be fitted:

855d9ec5f199cf0a32a6323c6d250dad.jpg

Box number one contained some 3mm and 4mm silicone vac pipe to do the vac line simplification

69ba677d32498ad29058faac0718c7df.jpg

Next up was a Darkside EGR delete pipe and a 3/4" plastic outlet coupler from B&Q to join the 2 coolant pipes together from the EGR cooler

af868f7d9e5d2efcd198746a1dbd49cd.jpg

And lastly was a Milltek decat downpipe off cocadave, opened it up today to get fitted and it was in great condition, fits nicely to the rest of the Milltek system and definitely has a deeper note on WOT and that slight chirp sound on overrun. I had it fitted at Fat Dubbers near Wrexham and they managed to accommodate my annoyingly low car.

267aacb5237a6d6b94d8ec0f4c6764ec.jpg

I did the EGR and cooler delete along with a vac line simplification the other day, and it really cleans up the engine bay! The engine does give a little shiver when powering off but nothing I can't live with, and it idles nice and smooth and seems to pull a bit harder as well. This is the standard bay:

8b5753a91ff7e621784226b491945d0f.jpg

And with the EGR, cooler and most of the vac lines deleted. I followed the guide for PD engines on uk-mkivs and once I got stuck in it was quite obvious which pipes went where.

a3fc172c48dcc405eeb2112682ba7dc3.jpg

I retained the vacuum reservoir as I saw a few threads where tuners recommend keeping it (specifically Nicky at R-Tech where I could possibly be looking to go for a remap) and it hasn't had any ill effects yet.

So finally I've got some performance/upgrades done and can enjoy the car for a week or so until I can get it in to the body shop to get the bumper sorted out. I've been looking at some new wheels recently but with the winter weather on the way these will be waiting until the new year now. Any comments are welcome and thanks for looking :D

Hi mate, I've been looking into this mod at the moment. Would you mind posting the link from the mk4 forum. Is this same as using the cooler delete pipe that darkside sell? Thanks

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
Hey mate, definitely worth doing and not too difficult a job once you get going. The hardest part is reaching the bolts that hold the cooler to the intake manifold but as you won't be re-fitting it then it's not too bad. The EGR kit is the one off darkside, I just used the plastic outlet pipe in place of darkside's cooler delete pipe (about £15 cheaper) and trimmed the coolant pipes to fit. They are slightly kinked but the water flows fine and the pressure holds the pipes open when the engine is running anyway.

I read these comments HERE regarding the cooler delete, the video is helpful as well.

And I also used the guide HERE to do the vac line simplification. As you'll be removing the EGR/ASV assembly then it's worth doing the vac lines and removing the obsolete valves as well.

Last edited:

puchos

Apr 30, 2005
North Wales
Cheers for the advice mate i think this will be the next mod!
On a separate note, do you know a garage around our area Wrexham/Chester etc that could check for boost leaks and do pressure/smoke test?

ArmzFR150

Jan 15, 2014
East Sussex
Good progress mate did all that lot to mine about 8 months ago. i had removed the vac tank for a while on the previous turbo but since fitting the new one i checked my target and actual boost on vag com and found it low. refitted the vac tank and has improved it,

A mate of mine does mapping now so ive had mine remapped 3 times with different tweaks. Now running 1.75bar of boost also built in launch control (not that i ever use it tbh)

Had it rolling roaded at AMD tuning in essex last weekend and made 190bhp 300lbft torque. pretty pleased with that.

If your planing on getting yours mapped how new is your clutch? when mine was first mapped it slipped straight away but was still the original clutch and flywheel.

Also i presume the egr delete has put the EML on?

Coming up wrexham way again next weekend but usually busy all the time when im there tbh or id say meet up....

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
Thanks mate :D I've not had much time/money to do things until recently so I'm really glad to finally make some progress on the car. I don't have vag-com but would be interested to see how my boost figures stack up because I'm paranoid about boost leaks!

Awesome, is that local to you? I'm looking to get mine remapped but want to make sure everything is as sorted as possible before then so I can do it right first time. That's a pretty nice figure and I bet it goes as well as some of the inflated "200bhp on standard turbo" cars :p

The clutch and flywheel are both original I think, I've not seen any paperwork to say otherwise. What clutch kit did you go for on yours? I don't want anything too expensive as I don't see me going for a big turbo build as things stand.

Yeah I've got the EML on but I've had the EGR vac pipe plugged for the last year or so now so I'm used to it and I just scan for other codes now and again. I'm usually around at weekends so let me know if you're free at all, would be good to compare cars :)

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.