Audi S3 GT3582R stroker Build (previously GT3071r)

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
Had a call from the Police yesterday.. they went to speak to the owner of the car involved and he wants to settle without involving the insurance... this is fine with me tbh as I am planning on getting the car fully resprayed next year and I'll just get an average cost for fixing the damage and stick that in the respray fund

<tuffty/>

Pimped up vario

Cordy Cruizer
Nov 20, 2009
Belfast N Ireland
It could be worse. Your four year old daughter, if you had one, could have peed on your handbrake and part of your cobra Daytona bucket seats, or alacantara, after you'd asked them three times if they needed the toilet. :cry::D:cry::D:cry::D:cry::).

Last edited:

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
It could be worse. Your four year old daughter, if you had one, could have peed on your handbrake and part of your cobra Daytona bucket seats, or alacantara, after you'd asked them three times if they needed the toilet. :cry::D:cry::D:cry::D:cry::).

Lol... mine have never pee'd in the car thankfully but your are right... that could quite possibly be worse ;P

<tuffty/>

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
Had the back end aligned on Saturday...
IMG_20140927_131905.jpg

Car feels much better now the rear wheels are pointing the right way lol

Today I did a few more little jobs...
IMAG0329.jpg

Haldex filter and oil change... the two bolts for the dogbone/subframe and the track rod end locking nuts as mine are pretty much seized...

Filter off...
IMAG0330.jpg

Replaced the haldex drain plug and sealing washer... think I got my moneys worth out of these lol
IMAG0332.jpg

Old (and original) bolts were just over 1mm longer due to stretching than the new ones... 20nm + 90 degrees and job done
IMAG0334.jpg

Span off the offside track rod end (after marking and measuring up and counting the turns to remove the track rod end)... nut came off with a bit of heat and cleaned up the threads with a wire brush...
IMAG0336.jpg

New nut on and a bit of copper slip for easing things up for when I get the front alignment done.. I also tweaked this side in a bit as it was toeing out a tad
IMAG0344.jpg

The nearside was a little more challenging... heat + disc cutter + air chisel and...
IMAG0339.jpg

Cleaned up but used the thread file to make sure the threads were clear as there was obvious corrosion where the nut had been... span the new one on to check and all is good...
IMAG0343.jpg

Checked the tracking once the car was on the deck... front and rear is at zero toe so all good there... sadly didn't really get a chance to check it all out properly on the way home but she feels so much better now...

<tuffty/>

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
The attention to detail, love big power builds

Thanks dude :)

Not much to report at the moment... went to Audi Drivers at Castle Combe this weekend

Rather nice shot of the car on the day...
1093745_357905011058571_2031474996034389140_o.jpg

Unfortunately the day didn't go all that well for a friend of mine JoJo who had a rather nasty off at Quarry and wrote off his S3 :(

So after Bill and I recovered his car back to Badger HQ I noticed he has LED bulbs in his fog lights and so asked Joe what they were like... ironically he had not long fitted them and hadn't actually tried them... Joe being the nice bloke that he is said take them and try them... if they work then I could have them...!! obviously I felt a little bad about this... but soon got over it LOL... ;P (thanks Joe)

The LED bulb next to the normal fog bulb
IMAG0362.jpg

These bulbs aren't really designed to give much light tbh
IMAG0364.jpg

...compared to the normal bulbs...
IMAG0366.jpg

Still... they look cool... :)

In other news... my FIS Control turned up along with a tee adaptor so I can run an oil pressure sender and OE oil pressure switch plus an oil temp sensor that will go in the top of the oil filter housing... the FIS Control supports external sensors such as the oil sensors I have already mentioned and others like EGT and a MAP sensor for boost...
IMAG0368.jpg

For those unaware of what FIS Control is, watch this...
http://youtu.be/pg43OPSZYvw

...then visit here...
http://www.fis-control.de/index_en.html

I will post a mini review on a separate thread once I have fitted it and found my way around it properly..

<tuffty/>

GTi T

May 8, 2005
North West
Careful of those particular type of LED bulbs, they are crap......I've had first hand experience of them....the tiny white/yellow plastic bits fall apart

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
Careful of those particular type of LED bulbs, they are crap......I've had first hand experience of them....the tiny white/yellow plastic bits fall apart

I have had this with a set of sidelight bulbs but tbh they were free and now I know how little light they put out I might look into some of these newer H7 high power replacement bulbs

<tuffty/>

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
Been collecting bits over the past few weeks....

Bi-xenon projectors..

IMAG0369.jpg

Double DIN stuff...

IMAG0371.jpg

Camber plates (that will be sprayed black!!)

IMAG0382-1.jpg

Soooo.... fitted the FIS Control... I won't bother with to many pics as the fitting instructions are pretty clear

The wiring looms connect up to the original wiring... I lodged the control unit in an available space for now and will remove the lower dash some point later to fix it in place
IMAG0400.jpg

Decided to scope out the bi-xenons to see what would be needed to get them fitted...
IMAG0408.jpg

Bought some new clips...
IMAG0409.jpg

The cut off jobber for xenons that halogens don't have...
IMAG0410.jpg

As you can see the b-xenon projector is much larger than the std S3 projector... I did do a test hook up and the bi-xenon produces so much more light...
IMAG0412.jpg

...however its obvious I will need to dismantle the headlight to stand a chance of fitting these so rather than potentially bugger up my lights I have ordered a single aftermarket headlight and see how I get on with that...

Really looking forward to sorting these though as it should sort out the really poor std xenons

Next... this happened!!!
IMAG0413.jpg

...so I could get to the oil filter housing...
IMAG0414.jpg

...and remove the bung...
IMAG0415.jpg

...to fit the oil temp sensor...
IMAG0416.jpg

IMAG0417.jpg

..and then removed the oil pressure sender to bung in this...
IMAG0418.jpg

...and fitted it here...
IMAG0420.jpg

Ran the wires back to the cabin... Need to get the wires through the scuttle cover here...
IMAG0424.jpg

...so removed the wiper mech...
IMAG0426.jpg

...and drilled a hole for a grommet to run the sensor wires through to hook up to the FIS control...
IMAG0427.jpg

Last job of the day was to finally get rid of my magnadisc tax holder
IMAG0428.jpg

IMAG0429.jpg

Productive day :)

<tuffty/>

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
Nice work as always mate, are the pressure / temp sensors designed to work with the FIS system ?

Thanks mate... yeah, these are the ones specified in the manual... the latest FIS Control has pull down resisters built in but the manual on the site is a bit out of date.

Need to have a re-read of some of your thread soon... got to swap the internals of a low mileage LCR gearbox into a quattro casing...

Those steel forks you got from USP Motorsports are just OE ones from a later box (02Q?) I have the part numbers somewhere. They work out at around £70 each from TPS

<tuffty/>

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
Todays mission was to see if I could get these bi-xenons in....

First of course was to remove the lens... sooooo much fun... not!... careful use of the hot air gun and worked my way round the lens with a plastic spatula.....

IMAG0435.jpg

...and eventually...
IMAG0439.jpg

Next remove the reflector...
IMAG0441.jpg

I removed the halogen projector unit and offered up the bi-xenon unit...
IMAG0444-1.jpg

IMAG0445.jpg

The bi-xenon unit is a little shorter so decided to mod the standoff pillers and make some brackets...
IMAG0446.jpg

IMAG0450.jpg

IMAG0451-1.jpg

IMAG0452.jpg

IMAG0456-1.jpg

Reassembled the unit... had to use mole grips and heat of course to pull the lens into the sealant nicely...

The other headlight should be arriving this week so will crack on with that one too then I need to wire the bi-xenon flap solonoid to the main beam for the 'bi' bit to work and obviously transfer over the xenon bulb/ballast

I was tempted to fit the headlight but my OCD wouldn't let me have just one new headlight fitted lol

<tuffty/>

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
Made a start on the other headlight today...
IMG_20141108_160520.jpg

Removing the halogen projector...
IMG_20141108_160941.jpg

Need to cut down the posts to allow the bi-xenon unit to fit...
IMG_20141108_162045.jpg

The bi-xenon unit is shorter than the halogen projector fitted to these lights... no idea if this would be the same on OE units...
IMAG0443-1.jpg

As I and a few others have mentioned before the cut off pattern is different on proper HID/Xenon units....

Halogen cut off pattern plate...
IMG_20141108_163013.jpg

...vs the xenon cutoff pattern...
IMG_20141108_163211.jpg

...and the b-xenon bit of course... the solonoid should be wired to be energised when main beam kicks in and then the flap drops giving more light out put...
IMG_20141108_163232.jpg

Have made a start on the brackets but run out of time to finish them off so thats tomorrows job...

<tuffty/>

Last edited:

Pimped up vario

Cordy Cruizer
Nov 20, 2009
Belfast N Ireland
You're doing well with the pulling stuff apart and making brackets. I'm refurbishing the cousins 1.4TDCI turbo at the minute but what your doing looks like much more fun. I've a wee update about my car. My steering column lower securing backet sheared, very wobbly steering, and the four year old vomited on the rear seat, lovely. Not a terribly technically contributitive post but you have to laugh.

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
You're doing well with the pulling stuff apart and making brackets. I'm refurbishing the cousins 1.4TDCI turbo at the minute but what your doing looks like much more fun. I've a wee update about my car. My steering column lower securing backet sheared, very wobbly steering, and the four year old vomited on the rear seat, lovely. Not a terribly technically contributitive post but you have to laugh.

:)

Stopped off to fill up on lovely (cheap at the moment) V-Power and grabbed this...
IMG_20141109_122330.jpg

Finished off the other headlight so set about fitting them...
IMG_20141109_160653.jpg

Need to cut off the plug for the H1 dip beam connection as you need to replace this with the cable that runs to the ballast...
IMG_20141109_161902.jpg

Also need to cut out these bits for the OE cable to run through..
IMG_20141109_162505.jpg

Soldered the cable on and spliced into the main beam to trigger the bi-xenon solonoid...
IMG_20141109_163648.jpg

Used a grommet for the xenon cable...
IMG_20141109_172258.jpg

Fitted them in and did a quick alignment...

And the result?... frikkin' awesome!!!... its such a difference its difficult to describe... now... this is compared to my tired S3 OE units of course but I thought the A2 lights were better than the S3's until now!!

Quick (and blurry as my HTC M8 has a fecked camera) video of the bi-xenon bit working (you can see the halogen main beams fade out as I switch)
http://youtu.be/5EYVyTHe-Ek

Conclusions....
Bi-xenons in context of the lighting I had are awesome... well worth the effort in fitting...

Stuff I would do differently...
I would use a new pair of Hella headlights... these are 'ok' in fairness but... there are a few things that are not quite right with them... for one they don't fit as well as OE... I might be able to sort the gaps out with a bit of fiddling but they are not an OE clean fit IMO...

I would set the headlights up properly before refitting the lens... the reason being one of the lights (nearside) doesn't look 100% horizontal so would ideally need rotate the projector just a tad... its not enough that I am worried about it or will fail an MOT but something to consider... also not sure if the normal main beams are aligned with the projectors line... will revisit this once I have had a chance to get them to my mates place and checked out with his MOT beam jobber...

I had to use the OE indicator bulb holders as the wiring plug was very tight on the supplied ones and didn't click in place... thankfully they copied it close enough that they fitted..

The other thing I have noticed is condensation in the lens... not sure if this is down to me not getting the lens sealed 100% or just due to them being cheap copies... will monitor that and deal with it as and when

All in all though I am happy... :)

<tuffty/>

Last edited:

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
IMAG0483.jpg

... although disappointingly I think they are going throw my fuel economy out the window....

IMAG0484.jpg

;)

Made a decision to borrow a mates tyre fitting jobber and have a crack at fitting these myself.... built not bought remember lol...

Whats the worst that could happen!!?? :D

Getting the old ones off was relatively easy... was starting to get the hang of it after the second wheel...
IMAG0491-1.jpg

Getting there...
IMAG0489-1.jpg

IMAG0490-1.jpg

All was going well... think I have scratched the wheels a little but nothing a polish couldn't deal with however... the last tyre was being a complete ass to get off and the inevitable happened!!
IMAG0493-1.jpg

Boooo!... wasn't massively fussed as to be fair I had already caught this wheel on a curb so was due to go back for a refurb soon but the Nankangs are hard as nails with very stiff sidewalls so next time I come to swap these I will leave it to the pros...

They need a bit of bedding in so did a couple of launches to warm them up and span up all four wheels... pretty cool lol... there might even be a video as my mate videoed me leaving so if he has it I will post it up

Initial thoughts are that they make the car feel more planted and no wafting about on soft tyre walls

IMAG0495-1.jpg

Bill got hold of a corner weight kit this weekend so thought it would be rude not to at least see how much the old girl weighs in at...

IMAG0501.jpg

IMAG0499.jpg

She had just over half a tank of fuel, all my stereo gear and the rather heavier NS-2r's...
IMAG0498.jpg

...scores on the doors...
IMAG0496-1.jpg

Was really surprised as was expecting well over 1500kg

Obviously there could be some work regarding weight distribution and of course I wasn't in the car at the time but that would require coil overs and faffing which tbh I have no real interest in... the camber plates are ready to go on over Christmas break hopefully and then I will get the front aligned to a fast road ish spec and that will be that... I am under no illusion she is lardy but turns out not as lardy as I thought :D

Then put Bill's Leon Cupra on (Mk5 chassis)... was rather surprised at the result...
IMAG0500.jpg

I didn't realise they were that heavy and this is FWD!!!

Obviously the Lupo had to go on too...
IMAG0502.jpg

Skinny little bugger lol...

So... power to weight is interesting....

Lupo: 370hp (ish, can't remember actual figure off hand but at this point largely irrelevant), 1047kg = 352hp/tonne
My S3: 477hp, 1475kg = 323hp/tonne

Can't remember the exact figure for the Leon either off hand... gonna go with 360hp for now, 1433kg = 251hp/tonne

I'll ask Bill tomorrow for exact figures and edit the post but irrespective of the actual figures its still interesting

Clearly I need to sort these cams out to nudge ahead lol

That said I do have a lot more torque and the means to deploy it plus the S3 is inherently more stable when venturing into triple figures than the Lupo but the skinny little pocket rocket is gonna be causing a fair few performance car owners to take their cars back to the dealers thinking they have suddenly lost power after going up against it LOL...

<tuffty/>

Pimped up vario

Cordy Cruizer
Nov 20, 2009
Belfast N Ireland
Tuffty weight 1475.5kg distribution 58.3%Front 41.7% Rear
Bill's leon weight 1433.5kg distribution 62.9% Front 37.1% Rear
Bills Lupo weight 1047.5kg distribution 64.4% Front 35.6% Rear

My C5 audi A6 1.8t FWD with autogas weighs 1465 kg and cordoba weights 1226 kg. I wonder what my weight distributions are. Can I come over for Christmas? :D It takes a bit of faffing about to get the height, spring tension and weight distribution set evenly as in that the weight distribution shifts with ride height and spring tension etc. I think it would be worth it though. I'll be interested as to how the camber plates go. Does the S3 have an inclined trail, I thinks that's it's description, like the mark 1 leon? As in when you turn the steering to the right that the inside wheel leans out and the outside wheel leans inward. This functions to offset the overall camber change with body roll. My cordoba doesn't have this feature and I was toying with the idea of putting leon hub flange carriers onto it. So the adjustable camber plates would be a good feature to go with stiffer antiroll bars that prevented body roll.

Last edited:

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
The S3's front suspension setup is identical to the LCR mechanically...

I'm not fussed about actually corner weighting the S3... would require me to have coil overs and that just isn't gonna happen lol... I am happy with the way the car handles tbh... camber plates were an impulse buy as they were going for a decent enough price that they were worth a punt...

The front setup will be conservative as I am not interested in extracting the nth degree out of the car... she is primarily a road car and I don't fancy having to replace tyres every five minutes from excessive angles that might get me 1/10 second round corners driving to work...

<tuffty/>

Pimped up vario

Cordy Cruizer
Nov 20, 2009
Belfast N Ireland
Looking forward to the details of your conservative setup. I had a mark 1 jetta which handled poorly until I changed the springs and dampers then the rear antiroll bar securing bracket snapped which made it handle badly again until it was repaired. The cordoba had mad camber with the 1st setup and didn't stop too well, locked up the brakes easily. The original suspension had the rear sitting high which had it coming round to meet the front once or twice. The lowering springs made the back end much more planted. My mark 1 leon had magic handling capabilties on standard suspension, antiroll bars and bushes with 17 inch wheels running 225/45/17 toyo proxes T1-s tyres. I took a run around some back roads and got a bit carried away with a 90 mph trip round a medium left hander with damp leaves on the road. I'll find the coordinates on google maps uk if you want.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise