A Possible Comeback - Opinions Needed - Leon Mk3

VRSLOZ

Formally SC16v
May 1, 2010
Costa Del Hertfordshire
Afternoon All :D

After a little bit of help!

After a few years away from Seat I've finally managed to get a job where I'm being given a company car! The list is quite extensive and there are a few Seat models on there to choose from. If I was to choose one it would be another Ibiza or the new Leon, of which I have little knowledge of.

Of course it's all down to what allowance I'm given but in the running is the 1.6 TDi Eco and 2.0 TDi SE/FR. It will be easy to say "FR all day long" as that is what I'm thinking but I'd like some constructive feedback on the pro points for the SE and ECO too if possible.

For the Ibiza I'll stick a post up in the MK5 forum.

Thanks all! :thumbup:

Last edited:

andrewpain

Jul 5, 2014
Meppershall Beds.
I used my own money and the 2.0 TDi 184 FR was outstanding value. It's such a world away from the 150 to drive (power, torque, multi-link rear suspension), and the package on the FR is great value.
If your budget runs to it...you need to find out what's "on the list". Don't drive a 184 if you can't have one because it'll break your heart.

andrewpain

Jul 5, 2014
Meppershall Beds.
I didn't look at DSG as my wife won't drive auto's - manual only.
so if you could live with the manual (and the 184 is a peach with manual changes - all that torque makes you lazy), you might be able to keep that contribution down, or trade up to seat sound, tech pack (unless it's still free) or whatever.

JackReacher

Jun 20, 2013
Does your company car have to be diesel? If not have a look at the 1.4 ACT petrol.

On my car scheme, the 1.4 is £40 a month cheaper after tax than the 2.0 FR, and £70 a month cheaper than the 184.

You'd have to do a lot of miles to make that back at the pump or love diesels to choose one over the petrol in my opinion.

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
After many Biza's mostly Cupra's and the last was a 2013 MK5 Twincharger, I bought my first Leon and it is a far better motor in every respect. I have the 280, but Auto Express has tested every model from the 1.2 up and nothing they compared them to has beaten any yet. It's a great car what ever variant you choose.:D:D

Last edited:

jc_boc

Missing the CUPRA R!
Jul 18, 2008
Desborough
Lozzie my boy!!!!! Welcome back man! :funk: If it has to be a derv FR184 mate...have i ever steered you wrong? ;)

Biker

Oct 6, 2003
Northumberland
Visit site
Welcome back mate! If you are coming back to Seat the Leon is the way to go. Like Seastormer I have progressed from a series of Ibiza's to a Cupra 280 and what an amazing car it is but even the lower spec cars are good. I had a 1.2 SE as a courtesy car and even that was a good car to drive.
If you can get an FR on your company scheme, do it! I'm sure you won't regret it......

VRSLOZ

Formally SC16v
May 1, 2010
Costa Del Hertfordshire
I didn't look at DSG as my wife won't drive auto's - manual only.
so if you could live with the manual (and the 184 is a peach with manual changes - all that torque makes you lazy), you might be able to keep that contribution down, or trade up to seat sound, tech pack (unless it's still free) or whatever.

Thanks for the input mate

Does your company car have to be diesel? If not have a look at the 1.4 ACT petrol.

On my car scheme, the 1.4 is £40 a month cheaper after tax than the 2.0 FR, and £70 a month cheaper than the 184.

You'd have to do a lot of miles to make that back at the pump or love diesels to choose one over the petrol in my opinion.

Afraid so, all the cars listed are diesels or hybrids :( thanks for the input though :)

After many Biza's mostly Cupra's and the last was a 2013 MK5 Twincharger, I bought my first Leon and it is a far better motor in every respect. I have the 280, but Auto Express has tested every model from the 1.2 up and nothing they compared them to has beaten any yet. It's a great car what ever variant you choose.:D:D

Great input. thanks mate

Lozzie my boy!!!!! Welcome back man! :funk: If it has to be a derv FR184 mate...have i ever steered you wrong? ;)

:lol: you again ;) love you really!

Welcome back mate! If you are coming back to Seat the Leon is the way to go. Like Seastormer I have progressed from a series of Ibiza's to a Cupra 280 and what an amazing car it is but even the lower spec cars are good. I had a 1.2 SE as a courtesy car and even that was a good car to drive.
If you can get an FR on your company scheme, do it! I'm sure you won't regret it......

Thanks mate, I remember your Ibiza MK5 from before. Thanks for the advice :)

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members