New temp sensor but same problem

fozzie1984

Feb 7, 2015
Got a new green temperature sensor and fitted it but i am still not getting a temperature reading until im static in traffic for a minute or two , however sometimes when i go back to the car and its still warm i will get a reading however this quickly drops off when i start moving.throws up a fault code of 17704 every so often as well

car is a 53 plate LCR anyone know what else i can do

Joell

Oct 21, 2013
Let me know if this works, I've had both replaced and mine does the same thing.

fozzie1984

Feb 7, 2015
Both OEM parts? I've heard of ebay replacement green sensors still being faulty once installed, stat should be fine though.

nope i got both bits from eurocarparts 8 quid for a thermostat and a tenner for the sensor.seems to work alright at the moment

Daedalus

replaced the thermostat today and it all works perfectly now :)

Good stuff! I've needed to change the thermostat in mine for a little while now. Went to change it the other evening using one of the guides on here but it was a little bit dark and it just looked bloody awkward to get at with all the hoses and brackets so I left it for a bright day.

How much hassle did you have with it? Did you have to remove lots of hoses etc. to get at it?

fozzie1984

Feb 7, 2015
Good stuff! I've needed to change the thermostat in mine for a little while now. Went to change it the other evening using one of the guides on here but it was a little bit dark and it just looked bloody awkward to get at with all the hoses and brackets so I left it for a bright day.

How much hassle did you have with it? Did you have to remove lots of hoses etc. to get at it?

ok basically i drained the radiator (plug at the bottom of the rad) took of the plastic trim piece around the dipstick (black dimply one) now i didnt have a set of metal clip pliers so i used a set of normal pliers which was a pain in the tits , if you can get the pliers for those clips its so much easier.there is a few electrical plugs to disconnect but they are just easy pull of ones.

Next i used the pliers to unship the clip from the hose that goes onto the thermostat housing and pulled the pipe off.now the fun began as i chose not to unship the alternator it was a massive pain in the tits to get the two bolts off of the thermostat housing you 100% need a universal joint and quite a few extension bars.the bolts once cracked will come off with your hands which makes the possibilty of dropped bolts a bit less.once they were off the housing pulled off and then the thermostat seal and finally the stat itself.took me about 30 minutes to do and scratched the hell out of my arms but the local garage wanted an hours labour and im an aircraft mechanic anyway so i cracked on myself.

fozzie1984

Feb 7, 2015
Ah grand, doesn't sound too bad so. Just shining a torch down the front of the engine it looks like hell :) I'll probably take the alternator out of the way if it makes things easier. Cheers!

i just couldnt be arsed to do that so ploughted on through

xJabZ

JabZ
Apr 14, 2015
I had this exact problem! changed the temperature sensor but the issue was still there, then changed the Thermostat and bam all sorted! :)