Rear passenger door wont open!

Dani_b19

Apr 8, 2009
Evening all, had a search and there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer to my question.

The rear passenger door wont open from the outside unless first being opened from the inside, once opened from the inside it's fine until you lock the car, lock the car and again it won't open unless opened from the inside.

Any ideas?

locky

May 5, 2014
North East
Door lock module probably. A scan will tell you for sure.
Seems fairly common, DIY job if you are handy. Quite pricy part though. Could try a scrappy.

locky

May 5, 2014
North East
Also with vcds or carista you can set it so only the fronts unlock on the fob, that way you know it isnt gonna randomly unlock and then not lock again. Looks prettier than welding :)

GS16LRHP

Feb 17, 2014
Just got one of these myself, paid £45 on Sunday night and it was delivered today.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201352324243

I'm just wondering if it's possible to get to everything by just removing the cloth cover, step 1 here http://www.no1wok.co.uk/cupra/rdp.pdf

I think it would be tricky, you won't have that much space to work in. Also, the cable tension for the outside door handle will probably need adjusting. There is a thin cable that runs from the door handle to the lock. When I replaced the lock on my door, the cable tension was too loose and I couldn't open the door from outside. If I recall correctly, I removed the lock to change the cable tension. I'm not sure if would be possible to adjust the cable tension with the lock still in the door.

It still might be worth a shot though and save you the ballache of removing the doorcard.

ps. that's a good price on that door lock

pps. these door lock issues are becoming very common :censored:

Last edited:

richicupra

Jan 29, 2012
I think it would be tricky, you won't have that much space to work in. Also, the cable tension for the outside door handle will probably need adjusting. There is a thin cable that runs from the door handle to the lock. When I replaced the lock on my door, the cable tension was too loose and I couldn't open the door from outside. If I recall correctly, I removed the lock to change the cable tension. I'm not sure if would be possible to adjust the cable tension with the lock still in the door.

It still might be worth a shot though and save you the ballache of removing the doorcard.

ps. that's a good price on that door lock

pps. these door lock issues are becoming very common :censored:

Got a mate coming to give me a hand tomorrow so will be easier with two of us to strip the door if need be.
There seems to be a new thread with the same problem every week now :censored:

Rusty2k

May 12, 2013
On the facelift you definitely can change the lock on the rear doors with just the cloth panel removed.

I've done it myself. You just need to rotate the lock mechanism around the window channel. The outer handle cable adjustment can be done easily by trial and error.

No idea about it on the pre-facelift though.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.