DIY hardwire dashcam installation

-=Rob=-

Beer or Car?
Dec 14, 2002
South West
Visit site
Just to say thanks for the tips terry & kevster - It was indeed a poor connection on the earth lead for the USB 5v step-down. Crimped a flat U shaped connector onto the cable and re-attached to the earth point and all seems good now!
Cheers.

Last edited:

jaba101

Jun 16, 2008
South West
I've got exactly the same issue with my DAB it keeps cutting out if I disconnect the cammera power and hay presto DAB fire's back up.

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
Altered my install today. Used an additional fuse spur on a permanent live, wired that and the original spur to a on/off/on switch so i can flick it to permanent when i want the camera left on. Such as car parks and the like. Obviously not for hours or it will flattern the battery eventually.

Also noticed that if you use the fuse spur on the cigarette lighter position on switched live you need to plug it in with the red out wire pointing up. It does work pointed down but the current actually runs through the 20amp fuse first then the fuse for the camera. Ie when you remove the cig fuse it wont work.
If moved up to use permanent live point the wire down.

For the permanent live of my install i found another fuse position and plugged it in so i only needed to install the fuse for the camera, because there was no exisiting fuse in that position.

Forgot to take a picture of the fuses but here is the switch.

Last edited:

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
Also i have found with this hotter weather the camera mount, where the camera clips in has distorted a bit and become looser so the camera hangs down on the side away from the mount. Maybe the heat and weight of the camera has done it!
I do tend to leave the camera in the car all the time, but have found the focus isn't as sharp when the weather is hotter. When weather returns to british i will compare.

MrStroppy

Dec 5, 2011
Thanks Terry T

Finished my install today with the later 0806 dashcam, very pleased.

Cheers

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
To compliment my post #127 i forgot this picture. The 12v socket has an add a fuse for rear 12v socket. The other two are for the front dash cam via the above switch. Bottom one is for switched live, the top is for permanet if i so choose.
Bit tight but they just go :)

Last edited:

Wendon

Nov 9, 2014
North Wales
Thanks Terry for your instructions - installed my Nextbase 502g yesterday - took me about an hour. I bought the hard wired kit for the Nextbase which made it a lot easier. Also had the correct trim removal tools (ebay) which again just makes the job a bit less of a faff.

lethalMango

Sep 23, 2014
Thanks Terry for your instructions - installed my Nextbase 502g yesterday - took me about an hour. I bought the hard wired kit for the Nextbase which made it a lot easier. Also had the correct trim removal tools (ebay) which again just makes the job a bit less of a faff.

Got any pics of how the 502G looks inside and out? I'm looking at getting one this weekend.

Dabhad

Oct 27, 2015
im going to get shot down for this but here goes
i love dash cams and i think they are really nifty things however
what about an app?
has anyone tried any apps i have just come accross 2 dashcam apps on the iphone who knows maybe good?
anyone tried it?

btw in no way am i disrespecting all your guys that have got dashcams or trying to undermime anyone just so your know

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
im going to get shot down for this but here goes
i love dash cams and i think they are really nifty things however
what about an app?
has anyone tried any apps i have just come accross 2 dashcam apps on the iphone who knows maybe good?
anyone tried it?

btw in no way am i disrespecting all your guys that have got dashcams or trying to undermime anyone just so your know

Valid questions and it did cross my mind.

Depends on how you use the car and your phone. For example I have hardwired dam cams, get in the car, they auto turn on and are effective fit and forget.

With an App on a phone I assume you would first need it in a holder pointing it's lens to the way forward and I suspect you have to have some manual interaction to get the App open or recording.

All of which soon becomes a fag when you just want to get in and drive.

You need quite a large store compacity within the phone or record at low quailty.
Would need power supply too.

But that's about all I know and I have never used an App version of a dash cam. Others may know more...

Last edited:

Dabhad

Oct 27, 2015
Valid questions and it did cross my mind.

Depends on how you use the car and your phone. For example I have hardwired dam cams, get in the car, they auto turn on and are effective fit and forget.

With an App on a phone I assume you would first need it in a holder pointing it's lens to the way forward and I suspect you have to have some manual interaction to get the App open or recording.

All of which soon becomes a fag when you just want to get in and drive.

You need quite a large store compacity within the phone or record at low quailty.
Would need power supply too.

But that's about all I know and I have never used an App version of a dash cam. Others may know more...

truthfully never thought of that thanks lol

im just thinking due to cost wether its worth spending the money

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
truthfully never thought of that thanks lol

im just thinking due to cost wether its worth spending the money

Cerca £80 can set you up all in.

Money well spent if you ever need the footage.

Last edited:

lethalMango

Sep 23, 2014
Crimp the live cable from the fuse tap to the live cable on the USB module and attach securely to the car using double sided sticky pads and zip tie. I took the side dash panel out for easier access and for a place to mount the module. Attach the ground cable to screw circled.

dashcam04.JPG

I've managed it all so far, however I can't figure out how to get the side panel off by the glove box. Does it have screws somewhere?

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
I've managed it all so far, however I can't figure out how to get the side panel off by the glove box. Does it have screws somewhere?

4 clips If I remember, one is shown in the picture that's got left behind above the red circle.

The panel levers off carefully, there is a little slot one once place to help start. But I found the clips ping off/get left behind sometimes.