Ibiza Cupra mk3 Race Car - SMRC Sports & Saloons

Sep 15, 2012
Aberdeen
Ahh, thats where i got it from haha.
Ive never heard much about those life racing stuff. Have you decided which of their ecu you will go for? What sort of prices do they ask?

cuprabaz

Racing 2020VT
Jun 22, 2004
Aberdeenshire
Ahh, thats where i got it from haha.
Ive never heard much about those life racing stuff. Have you decided which of their ecu you will go for? What sort of prices do they ask?

They are well known in motorsport. Pretty sure it'll be a version of the F88 that i'll be using, price is yet to be comfirmed as I need to sit down and go through the option list with Gareth. :help:

Sep 15, 2012
Aberdeen
Aye i had a look of the f88, just didnt read too much as i have no idea what id go for. Keep us posted and maybe itll give me an idea what to go for lol

cuprabaz

Racing 2020VT
Jun 22, 2004
Aberdeenshire
MONSOON Race Day

I had my Ibiza out for it's 3rd race weekend down at Knockhill at the start of the month. It was called the Mayday Race meet, but i prefer to say MONSOON Race Day. Still sporting the old engine(ko3s) and seriously out gunned power wise.

The weekend started as most DIY Motorsport weekends do - running about like a headless chicken... That seemed to be the theme for much of the weekend: avoiding getting wet, last minute tyre changes and battling the wind to prevent the new awing from disappearing off down the paddock.

I had three big spins and all of which where at Duffus, No 1 cold tyres, too fast, first lap of testing = driver being a numpty! No 2 Waiting on new tyres being fitted and getting out with only 3 minutes left of qualifying and in the rush I forgot that the tyre shop inflate to 45psi, over inflated brand new tyres = driver being a numpty! And No 3 was down to oil, someone had gone round the entire circuit twice spewing oil everywhere and turned the entire place into a skating rink which was good fun but only once you realised it was covered in oil, spin 3 occurred pretty much as I was really starting to get to grips with this wet racing malarkey then boom a nice pirouette I also had an excursion into the gravel at Clarks in race one which is where I'm guessing the splitter wanted to stay.

I went with my gut instinct and ignored lots of seasoned racers advice - I ended up being right. Michelin PS3 were excellent in the wet, couldn't believe how late i could break with them compared to track day type tyres and the amount of traction especially out of the corners.

Started at the back for race one(23rd) after not posting the minimum of 3 laps in qualifying.
I managed to get my self up to 15th which is where I started race two. I managed to finish in 13th in race two. I'm pretty chuffed with that considering it was the first time I'd been on track in the wet and I could not see out of the windscreen after lap 3 on both races.:help:

Successful weekend i'd say: First wet races out of the way relatively unscathed, I know where I can improve drastically from watching my footage and had bloody good fun. Bloody hard work but worth it :drive1:

Here's a few pics.

Up on two in the wet:D

Good visibility....:rolleyes:

Smoothing out the gravel....

The pics below were taken by http://www.power-images.co.uk/ www.facebook.com/powerim/

Last edited:

Aaron87

Nov 19, 2013
Car looks awesome Baz!

I'm building one to race myself.. Interested to know what kind of spec you're running chassis wise! I've got a K03s on mine also!

Do you suffer with much understeer?

cuprabaz

Racing 2020VT
Jun 22, 2004
Aberdeenshire
Thanks Aaron.

I spied your thread when i logged on and had a quick look will have a better look through later on.

It's XYZ adjustable coilovers, Neuspeed ARB, top and bottom front strut braces, Black Powerflex bushes and AKS rose jointed wishbones.

I used to suffer badly. Swapped the 15mm spacers onto the front and stiffened the rear up(shocks,ARB and tyre pressures) For the dry only!!

Aaron87

Nov 19, 2013
Cool, let me know what you think of it so far.. Open to suggestions of what else I can do!

Pretty similar spec to what I'm running without the rose jointed wish bones.. Do you know where they're from??

Interesting about swapping the spacers from rear to front.. I'm running 20mm on the rear and 8mm on the fronts to clear my brakes.

cuprabaz

Racing 2020VT
Jun 22, 2004
Aberdeenshire
Ok cool will do. :)

AKS Tuning i believe.

Oversteer now instead of understeer but we can power out of oversteer easy enough.... Unless you do daft things like i listed above :lol:

Aaron87

Nov 19, 2013
Cool, I'll take a look @ their website..

Ooh I'd prefer oversteer, at least you can carry speed with that.. Understeer just kills speed & tyres.

cuprabaz

Racing 2020VT
Jun 22, 2004
Aberdeenshire
Long overdue update. I've not been able to do anymore races since the May meet due to work but I should be out in Sept for the current set ups last blast.

The stroker engine is now complete and sat waiting patiently.

The head was built by ALD, the bottom end and final build was done by DMC Performance and all the parts were supplied by ASK Tuning and INA Eng

Also got a wideband conversion kit from Ben Parsons, very nicely made.

Vince Saiya from Stealth Racing and Dave Manson will be doing the mapping.

Here's some of the bits and pieces I've been gathering for the new set up.

Last edited:

cuprabaz

Racing 2020VT
Jun 22, 2004
Aberdeenshire
I remember following that epic thread! :thumbup:

Yeah should be bloody scary. Shooting for 400 although Alex says the hardwear should make that no bother. I'll still be get lapped by the big boys though:blink:

Aaron87

Nov 19, 2013
Ooooh nice update! I'm jealous my regs don't allow stuff like that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members