110 Toledo overboosting / limp mode

JHamilton_21

Feb 26, 2015
Ive a 110 toledo, remapped and with .216 injector nozzles. Goes well but going into top end 4th gear and sometimes throughout 5th it over boosts and all power dies out. Have to flick the key to regain power again. Any ideas how to cure this?

d.mccarthy16

Aug 3, 2014
Is your reg by any chance zfj? If it is then I know the car from your instagram and snapchat lol. The most common cause of limp mode is a split in the vacuum hose or sticking vanes in the turbo. Check the actuator on the turbo first, you should be able push it all the way down till it bottoms out by hand. The vacuum line if it's not new I'd just go ahead and replace anyways it's meant to be changed every few years. Silicone hose is a good upgrade and it's cheap, most motor factors should have it or dph on ebay do good stuff. If you have the egr blanked or deleted the n239 and n18 solenoids you can just remove along with the vacuum line for them the only one you need is the n75 for the turbo. There's a good guide on uk-mkivs with a guide for the vac line simplification http://uk-mkivs.net/topic/50427-pd-vac-line-simplification-n18-n239-valve-delete/

Last edited:

JHamilton_21

Feb 26, 2015
Yes lad thats me lol. Turbo isnt sticking its all good. Had it cleaned before the remap & the vac lines are abit worn but ive been told that because the car is mapped its spiking the standard boost sensor and i need a 3 bar one. Egr has been blanked off too yeah

d.mccarthy16

Aug 3, 2014
Yes lad thats me lol. Turbo isnt sticking its all good. Had it cleaned before the remap & the vac lines are abit worn but ive been told that because the car is mapped its spiking the standard boost sensor and i need a 3 bar one. Egr has been blanked off too yeah

How much boost are you running? The standard sensors measure up to 2.5 bar that's atmospheric so 1.5 gauge pressure max. Allowing for boost spikes and to detect a safe overboost value for limp mode 1.3 bar is the most I'd go for. I'm running 1.3 bar in my own and I've also mapped pd130, pd100s, ve90s and more all which have a 2.5 MAP sensor and never had any issues. A boost spike is usually down to slight vac leak. For the boost it looks for a set pressure in the map given the rpm and pedal position, if the sensor detects the pressure is lower than the map it adjusts the vanes in the turbo to try reach that pressure. The problem then is it usually overcompensates and the result is an overboost and limp mode. I'd start with replacing the vac lines first. I had a split in mine a few months back that was so small I couldn't even see it and the car was stuck in limp mode, replaced all the vac line then and it was perfect then. :)

Last edited:

SeatJay

Jul 25, 2015
I've had the over boost. Ran Forte Turbo cleaner through and 3 months on so far so good. There is a lot of stuff online about the MR Muscle solution as well.

JHamilton_21

Feb 26, 2015
Cant remember what boost in running but its pretty much maxed out lol. Think i'll replace the vac lines!

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members