Winter tyres on the Cupra

P0LKR

Nov 13, 2005
Newton Mortgage, Glasgow
I was originally thinking of putting Pirelli Sottozero 3 tyre on my cupra as they get good reviews however they are £210 each :banned:

I see Nokia now have a new tyre called WRD4. They are £159 each. Does anyone have thoughts on the Nokians?

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
I was originally thinking of putting Pirelli Sottozero 3 tyre on my cupra as they get good reviews however they are £210 each :banned:

I see Nokia now have a new tyre called WRD4. They are £159 each. Does anyone have thoughts on the Nokians?

My only experience of Nokian is the tyre wall disintegrating 500 miles into a drive some years ago. Do you mean winter tyres on the normal alloys? So 235/35/R19? I wouldn't bother. You're best dropping down to 18" 7.5J alloys for winter tyres. The narrower the tyres the better because you want them to cut through snow and not drive over it.

The best winter tyres I ever had were Michelin Alpin 5.

Last edited:

Major Tom

Jun 6, 2015
In the winter tyre test in the latest AMS mag Nokian was the best both studded and non-studded (Hakka R2 and Hakka 8). Or maybe they bribed the journalists more than the others...

cjp2k

Nov 14, 2006
Durham/Teesside
The best winter tyres I have used were the continentals, they fit on my wife's golf, so she's got them this year, I will be using Avon ice touring, I'm not sure what they will be like.

As said above get the smallest thinnest tyres possible to give greatest pressure onto the road surface,

Last edited:

P0LKR

Nov 13, 2005
Newton Mortgage, Glasgow
I want to keep the look of my car so I will buy 19" tyres to go on my existing wheels. I am very tempted to get the Nokian WRD4 tyres. The first winter tyre to have an A wet rating.

vwooks

Aug 26, 2013
I had the WRD3 tyres on my old Ibiza and they were outstanding so I would hope the WRD4s will be even better. They are what I'm looking at putting on my Leon.

P0LKR

Nov 13, 2005
Newton Mortgage, Glasgow
Ok, I have ordered the Nokian WR D4s. I wasn't planning on ordering them for a few weeks but they were at a good price on Blackcircles (£159) so I just went for it. I delayed the install for a week. Here's hoping for a cold and snowy winter.

I'll miss my Michelin PSS tyres but they won't be any good in December/Jan/Feb anyway.

Last edited:

JMAC

Feb 18, 2015
No experience of the Nokians but having been using Winter tyres for the last few months, I'm sold on the idea. Can't believe it's taken me this long...

Looking forward to testing them in the snow but no matter how good Winter tyres are, I'm sure I'll end up stuck because the car in front doesn't have them fitted :(

mx5

Apr 26, 2014
Ireland
I have the Nokians on the front of my Cupra too. Much less wheelspin and wheel hop. Steering isn't as sharp but the REO50's that came on it were useless for traction. Winter wears summer tyres really quick and there is no grip from them. I'm going to change them for a set of MPSS in March.

P0LKR

Nov 13, 2005
Newton Mortgage, Glasgow
I have the Nokians on the front of my Cupra too. Much less wheelspin and wheel hop. Steering isn't as sharp but the REO50's that came on it were useless for traction. Winter wears summer tyres really quick and there is no grip from them. I'm going to change them for a set of MPSS in March.

Having winters on the front and summers on the back is dangerous in snowy conditions. Loads of grip on the front and none on the back is a recipe for disaster. Please put a set on the back too.

niggle

Rollin' on 17s, baby!
Jan 28, 2014
Huddersfield, West Yorkshire
I had Toyo Snowprox S953s on my previous car (Golf Mk5). The Leon currently has Avon Ice Touring STs and they will stop on the car until Easter.

Both the Toyo and Avons have proved themself to be a very worthwhile investment over the past few winters. It's my second season on the Avons and they have impressed with their low and even wear rate and low purchase price.

AutoExpress reckon that Conti TS850 and Goodyears are some of the best winter tyres but you need to drive according to the conditions and remember that even these premium tyres will not turn you into Tommi Makkinen.

Last edited:

andrewpain

Jul 5, 2014
Meppershall Beds.
Had the first chance this winter try the Nokian WRD4 winter tyres on snow today. In short......brilliant.

put my Nokian WRD3s on again this week and had forgotten how good they were. Hope the 4'S prove as good.
Have just ordered new Michelin Cross Climates for my wife's Saab 9-5 as an all year round tyre.
Only does 1500 miles a year so life, economy etc not important, but the tests give great results for them.
Wouldn't put them on a Cupra as forever tyres, but as a winter option on a normal car they seem ideal....almost makes me wish I hadn't bought a second set of wheels as winters. Could have saved some dosh:-(

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
put my Nokian WRD3s on again this week and had forgotten how good they were. Hope the 4'S prove as good.
Have just ordered new Michelin Cross Climates for my wife's Saab 9-5 as an all year round tyre.
Only does 1500 miles a year so life, economy etc not important, but the tests give great results for them.
Wouldn't put them on a Cupra as forever tyres, but as a winter option on a normal car they seem ideal....almost makes me wish I hadn't bought a second set of wheels as winters. Could have saved some dosh:-(

Could save some more, 1500 miles a year get her one of those hover board things..... ;)

Lentäjä

Jan 19, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
In southern Finland we have had up to -29c for the past week or two, have snow up to 20cm on the ground...
So winter tyres are a must.
I've had many Nokian winters on different cars and they have always been superb!
Now i have Continentals and they are NO match for Nokian tyres.
I have used 225/45-17 and 225/40-18 on my 1M, 1P and 5F cars and there is no difference between sizes.

P0LKR

Nov 13, 2005
Newton Mortgage, Glasgow
In southern Finland we have had up to -29c for the past week or two, have snow up to 20cm on the ground...
So winter tyres are a must.
I've had many Nokian winters on different cars and they have always been superb!
Now i have Continentals and they are NO match for Nokian tyres.
I have used 225/45-17 and 225/40-18 on my 1M, 1P and 5F cars and there is no difference between sizes.

I had Continental 810s tyres on my previous BMW. They were not very impressive. I then had a puncture on a front tyre. Being run flats I needed to change them. I changed the fronts to a couple of Goodyears and I couldn't believe how mach better they were. I could steer in snow. :whistle:

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.