Digital Speedo

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
On the Toledo Mk4 VCDS (or Carista) can be used to enable a big digital MPH display on the maxidot.

I want to do this to our Ibiza as well.

Has anybody already done this on the Ibiza?

306Chris

Jan 20, 2007
Is this where it displays KPH in the digital display when moving?

Has anyone managed to change this? I can change country / region etc but has anyone had any joy>?

connorrickk

Jun 16, 2015
I've seen this be done with VagCom to get the speed to display on the stereo head unit.
Think the option is "Driving Instructor Mode" or something similar.
Not sure if its what you're after but I guess that is one way of doing it!

306Chris

Jan 20, 2007
I only have the Carista app so unable to make that change I don't think.

I just wondered if you set the dash to an alternative region if it would display MPH digitally instead of KPH

connorrickk

Jun 16, 2015
Been discussed here:
seatcupra.net/ forums/showthread.php?t=422816&highlight=digital+speedo
seatcupra.net/ forums/showthread.php?t=421426&highlight=digital+speedo
So looks like it might be possible by changing the country, but not ENTIRELY legal... Off your own back then I guess ;)

Excuse the spaces, Im not allowed to post links yet!

zondaff

Mar 8, 2015
Surrey
They don't allow a digital read-out in MPH because the speedo itself does not include KPH with the MPH so it can be an MOT failure without the digital KPH readout.

propane94

Bearded Ginger
Nov 15, 2012
Portsmouth
As said above by zondaff, as the analogue speedo does not display in both MPH and KPH, changing the digital one from one to the other would be an MOT failure.

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
How sharp eyed is your MOT tester? My missus is very pleased to have a useful digital mph display in the middle of the dash insted of a useless kph one.

It took 20 seconds to activate with Carista.

Change the country to Australia. Change all the units to Imperial. Step through the display options on maxidot and a new realtime mph is in there.

Oh and once enabled its switchable back to kph in display options - without Carista, so you can change it for MoT inspection if you really want to.

Last edited:

306Chris

Jan 20, 2007
So Australia and imperial will give MPH, cool
I'll try that, did you notice if it changed anything else? I know sometimes
Changing the region can effect DRL / lighting operation too?

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
So Australia and imperial will give MPH, cool
I'll try that, did you notice if it changed anything else? I know sometimes
Changing the region can effect DRL / lighting operation too?

Nope, I checked all the lights after changing the settings.

I also enabled the useful Euro parking lights where you can have the sidelights on one side only when parked on dark streets - Like my Audi had way back in 1986!!

Last edited:

306Chris

Jan 20, 2007
Nope, I checked all the lights after changing the settings.

I also enabled the useful Euro parking lights where you can have the sidelights on one side only when parked on dark streets - Like my Audi had way back in 1986!!

Cool, at the moment the parking light only works on the N/S what does the euro allow?

propane94

Bearded Ginger
Nov 15, 2012
Portsmouth
I have looking and it does not say explicitly, however it is UK legislation that all cars used from 01/04/1984 must be able to display speed in both mph and kph. This however does not apply if the car was first used before 01/10/1937

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
legislation of build specs and mot regulations always differ slightly but without an actual, printed and clear reason for rejection in the manual stating the concern - no tester has the right to fail your car for it. only pass and advise.

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
Cool, at the moment the parking light only works on the N/S what does the euro allow?

Either side depending on which side the kerb is when you park.

And as for the MoT on the Toledo you can toggle the MPH KpH display (once activated with Carista) and even if you couldn't its a 60 second job to revert the dash to standard before the MoT.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2008
Bradford
How sharp eyed is your MOT tester? My missus is very pleased to have a useful digital mph display in the middle of the dash insted of a useless kph one.

Change the country to Australia. Change all the units to Imperial. Step through the display options on maxidot and a new realtime mph is in there.

Oh and once enabled its switchable back to kph in display options - without Carista, so you can change it for MoT inspection if you really want to.

Can this be done using VCDS?

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
I believe so. I read discussions about it being done on Briskoda long before the Carista App was out there.

In fact I think there is a sticky thread at the front of the Briskoda VCDS section about it.

VeeFource

Dec 5, 2014

I'm guessing this can't be done on pre-maxidot mk5s if you have to cycle through display options?

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.