Anyone tried Racechip?

Major Tom

Jun 6, 2015
As title says, has anyone tried a Racechip box in their 280?

racechip. com/chiptuning/seat/leon/5f/2.0-tsi-cupra-280-206kw/index.php

Me and my friends have had Racechip boxes for a variety of VAG diesels, particularly the cheapest one, with no problems and a lot of bang for the bucks, which makes me wonder why I never hear of them in Cupra or Golf 7R context.

golfhappy

Sep 1, 2015
Scotland
As title says, has anyone tried a Racechip box in their 280?

racechip. com/chiptuning/seat/leon/5f/2.0-tsi-cupra-280-206kw/index.php

Me and my friends have had Racechip boxes for a variety of VAG diesels, particularly the cheapest one, with no problems and a lot of bang for the bucks, which makes me wonder why I never hear of them in Cupra or Golf 7R context.
I like you had one on my Supercopa, it was the middle one and again no problems until i got a bit greedy for power, messing with the settings. Once put back didn't have a problem. The cheapest box is good value for money.

jamiest19

Jul 16, 2015
Don't know if anyone is still following this link, but I bought a racechip ultimate a week ago but can't tell you how it is unfortunately. The instructions were terrible and I have am struggling to locate/connect the boost pressure sensor. I think it is somewhere low on the engine (behind the radiator fans?) but can't see to get in there... tried getting in touch with racechip but it seems they do not like answering emails. [:@]

If I manage to get it installed I'll let you knwo how it is... ;)

Major Tom

Jun 6, 2015
Don't know if anyone is still following this link, but I bought a racechip ultimate a week ago but can't tell you how it is unfortunately. The instructions were terrible and I have am struggling to locate/connect the boost pressure sensor. I think it is somewhere low on the engine (behind the radiator fans?) but can't see to get in there... tried getting in touch with racechip but it seems they do not like answering emails. [:@]

If I manage to get it installed I'll let you knwo how it is... ;)

The same for me, it took a couple of days but then I received a PDF with pictures. But it sure would have been better if they would have marked the cables with the function/sensor. But yes, one connector to the MAP sensor (on top of the engine) and the other one to the Boost control valve (front bottom). Take the skid plate down (like 7 screws) and you'll get to the boost valve easier.

jamiest19

Jul 16, 2015
Thanks for the quick response. :) I had thought removing the skid plate would be an option but was hoping there would have been any easier option... I'll give that a go. :)

Daire92

Cupra 290 DSG
Jan 6, 2016
Ireland
www.instagram.com
I've been looking at the basic Racechip model for a while now. Is there any trace of these chips once they have been removed? Can a dealer plug in a diagnostic machine and see that there has been a chip installed beforehand?

I'd love to get one because the 1.4 FR is a 125bhp model here in Ireland instead of the 150bhp offered in the UK, that extra few ponies would make a massive difference to the car I think but I don't want to risk voiding warranties and resale value as its on PCP finance.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jon Wright

jamiest19

Jul 16, 2015
As far as I can tell these devices can't be detected as they intercept the data sent from the ECU and adapt it, rather than change anything in the ECU itself.

One thing I've heard mentioned though is that unplugging the MAP and Boost pressure connectors to install the racechip can flag errors in the ECU. I'm not sure how true this is but I'm fairly sure a dealer is not going to able to void a warranty based on some engine errors. I regularly received errors from the Start Stop system prior to fitting my Racechip so I'm not too worried. Apparently it is always possible to disconnect the battery prior to a garage visit which is supposed to remove any errors but I'd be surprised if the ECU didn't have it's own CMOS type battery, akin to a computers BIOS battery, though I could be wrong.

jamiest19

Jul 16, 2015
The same for me, it took a couple of days but then I received a PDF with pictures. But it sure would have been better if they would have marked the cables with the function/sensor. But yes, one connector to the MAP sensor (on top of the engine) and the other one to the Boost control valve (front bottom). Take the skid plate down (like 7 screws) and you'll get to the boost valve easier.

So I got the racechip installed on my Cupra 265 and definitely see some performance improvements.

I still haven't made my mind up however. The power delivery in lower gears is very linear and the rachechip does seem to just enhance the performance with extra power, but in the higher gears (particularly 5 & 6) the chip doesn't seem to know what to do in the lower rev ranges. for instance:
If I'm at low speed/revs in 6 and just floor the accelerator, the power fluctuates up and down before settling at what seems like the power range at pre chip installation levels. Gives me the feeling that for some reason the chip works better in the higher rev ranges and in the lower ranges doesn't enhance the performance but change the natural behaviour of the engine, which is not very nice.

I'll see how it goes , but I'm not sure if the performance gains in lower gears are worth the tradeoff for what seems like a completely different engine behaviour in the higher gears..

Last edited:

tommyrollo02

Sep 27, 2016
As it's a piggy back box it's going to feel really weird when you floor it as it calculates after what the ecu has already done.

That being said, I've got the Racechip ultimate on my cupra 280 and the performance difference is night and day. The tuning box adds so much more pulling power and isn't too unreasonable on fuel either. The only bit I don't like is the surge of power it gives, something which I think a proper remap would map out so much better.

Still the claimed 352hp does feel pretty brutish and keeps you on your toes :)

Daire92

Cupra 290 DSG
Jan 6, 2016
Ireland
www.instagram.com
I just ordered the basic one for my 1.4 125bhp FR. Couldn't see the point of paying €100 more for an extra 7hp. I've 30 days to change my mind either way so if i can notice a clear difference i'll keep it until there is a Revo map for my car then flog it once I can get a proper tune done.

ladasik

Jun 25, 2016
Cork, Ireland
I need to follow u Daire92 as I have the same engine...it's a shame that 1.4 ACT 150bhp engine is not offered in Ireland as it would only cost the car 200€ to tax the car with that engine

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Daire92

Cupra 290 DSG
Jan 6, 2016
Ireland
www.instagram.com
I know, it's typical that the Irish get the poverty spec model. I ordered the basic version but I was accidentally sent the Pro 2 model instead so happy days! Fitted it last week and I've done about 400km with it so far. I plugged it as it came and I was underwhelmed. I didn't feel much of a difference to be honest so I popped it out and adjusted the tune settings. I worked my way up to Tune 3 with no issues and I definitely notice the difference now. It's not like switching to a Cupra but I feel like the car pulls better while cruising on the motorway. I can overtake easily and the car sounds a bit better too. For the 130 I paid I'm happy, especially since I got the free upgrade to the Pro 2 model. If you'd like ladasik, you could have a spin when I'm in Cork next to see what ya think.

Last edited:

ladasik

Jun 25, 2016
Cork, Ireland
I would defo like the spin :) I have vcds cable so can do some mods in return if I haven't done them urself..where in roi u are ?

Last edited:

Daire92

Cupra 290 DSG
Jan 6, 2016
Ireland
www.instagram.com
Im from Cork, just outside the City. I've actually tried a vcds cable from a friend and it wouldn't work. None of the changes we made would save so I'd love a second crack at it. I'd love to see your power lift boot too. I'll pm ya for details.

ladasik

Jun 25, 2016
Cork, Ireland
It worked for me alright..I did the staging sweep, one click wing mirrors closing, the only thing It wouldn't accept for me was the cornering lights via front fogs...but maybe it's in different place as the wings were not under the same section as in manual I've found online. I live outside cork too , mallow direction.

steedy27

Oct 30, 2017
I just ordered the basic one for my 1.4 125bhp FR. Couldn't see the point of paying €100 more for an extra 7hp. I've 30 days to change my mind either way so if i can notice a clear difference i'll keep it until there is a Revo map for my car then flog it once I can get a proper tune done.

Hello

How did you get on with your RaceChips box, looking to get one for my 1.4 TSI 125HP and wondering if you felt it was worth it?

I know its an old thread sorry, don't seem to have a PM/DM facility on the forum

Jon Wright

Apr 17, 2020
I know, it's typical that the Irish get the poverty spec model. I ordered the basic version but I was accidentally sent the Pro 2 model instead so happy days! Fitted it last week and I've done about 400km with it so far. I plugged it as it came and I was underwhelmed. I didn't feel much of a difference to be honest so I popped it out and adjusted the tune settings. I worked my way up to Tune 3 with no issues and I definitely notice the difference now. It's not like switching to a Cupra but I feel like the car pulls better while cruising on the motorway. I can overtake easily and the car sounds a bit better too. For the 130 I paid I'm happy, especially since I got the free upgrade to the Pro 2 model. If you'd like ladasik, you could have a spin when I'm in Cork next to see what ya think.
Hi, know it's old thread but just got 2017 Leon fr 1.4 tsi 125 bhp, would like to get the ponies up, any advice, I'm in kerry, appreciate any help

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

adam davies

Dec 30, 2019
Checkout darkside development on you tube. They have a new vid comparig all the trash tuning boxes..

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.