Handbrake Warning Light

Ebes86

Jul 25, 2013
Hi,

Looking for some advice, I keep regularly getting the the handbrake warning light flash and make a loud alarm beeping noise 3 times.

I have been told this is due to brake fluid level being low, but I have topped it now about 7-8 times in the last 6 months, surely this is not normal?

Does this mean I have a leak somewhere possibly?

Also, how do you know if a caliper has seized, what are the signs?

I think one of my rear ones may have gone, it feels as know when i'm accelerating that something is dragging me back, as though the rear brake is constantly on.

Advice appreciated.

addavis89

Nov 1, 2012
norwich
Rear calipers are common for seizing, mine did it before and then few weeks later the brake fluid started pissing out the caliper

Ebes86

Jul 25, 2013
Mate, if you've topped up your brake fluid that amount then either it was very low or you defo have a leak :blink:

Yeah I know it was quite an obvious answer, but just wanted some advice to confirm my suspicions, thanks.

Ebes86

Jul 25, 2013
Rear calipers are common for seizing, mine did it before and then few weeks later the brake fluid started pissing out the caliper

Yeah I think by the sounds of it I'm having the same issue then possibly, Time to look for some replacement calipers then, I think I would prefer having 2 new ones instead of getting them repaired.

bruceR

Apr 11, 2005
Monifieth, Dundee
If you are mechanically minded then it's not too bad a job to strip them - see my Readers Ride - but if not them new calipers would be the way forward ;)

Ebes86

Jul 25, 2013
If you are mechanically minded then it's not too bad a job to strip them - see my Readers Ride - but if not them new calipers would be the way forward ;)
I have my limits, I'm learning and doing more things myself, but I feel this will be above my skillset, so I think I will go with the option of buying new ones, I'll check your RR out though

Ebes86

Jul 25, 2013
Ebay have some cheap rear calipers for about £45 which is a very good price.
Thanks for that, I have had a look on the bay, but I couldn't see any new ones cheaper than £85 each, but I have found a website that sell brand new ones red powder coated for £75 each

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
A clear sign is also that the affected wheel will be considerably warmer than the non-problematic side after a decent run! Hope you get it sorted mate, my caliper cost me about £80 plus an hour's labour to fit it and do the brake bleeding.

Sent from my E5603 using Tapatalk

Ebes86

Jul 25, 2013
A clear sign is also that the affected wheel will be considerably warmer than the non-problematic side after a decent run! Hope you get it sorted mate, my caliper cost me about £80 plus an hour's labour to fit it and do the brake bleeding.

Sent from my E5603 using Tapatalk

Nice tip, I will try to remember to check that after a long enough drive. Thanks mate, I hope so too, really annoying now.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.