Rear light cluster - Cupra 280

chrishale

May 31, 2010
Manchester, UK
Just noticed when I arrived at the car park this morning that the outer plastic on my passenger side rear light cluster is cracked :( So, I'm looking to get a replacement - been quoted £125 inc VAT from my local garage (non SEAT franchise). Is that a good price? I'm struggling to find them online, I can only find the tailgate part of the rear light, whereas I'm looking for the non-tailgate part.

Thanks in advance!

MyLeon

Jun 3, 2015
Is this not a warranty issue?
Mine is cracked on the inside, it has never been hit by anything, and the dealer tried to charge me £175!
I told him it could stay cracked at that price and I will now go elsewhere for all work to be done.

2015 Leon ST FR 184 DSG

chrishale

May 31, 2010
Manchester, UK
Sounds like a good deal then, thanks!

I'm not sure what cracked it to be honest, I've certainly not hit anything and I can't see any other marks that suggests it's been hit. I'm thinking it could be weather related, water getting in and freezing or something to do with this ridiculous heat.

Not sure if that would be covered under warranty, but since David Cook left the franchise the closest dealer I'd trust with my car is about an hour away in Huddersfield.

MyLeon

Jun 3, 2015
I'm sure others on here have had these replaced under warranty.
Can anyone confirm this please?

2015 Leon ST FR 184 DSG

PaulyM

still learning
Apr 6, 2011
Cheshire
Yes, had mine replaced under warranty. At first they said it was because they jet washed the car prior to me picking it up and they would 'bleed' the light and that would cure it. I politely explained it was cracked and bleeding it would be pointless. Nevertheless they made me wait a few days to see if it was fixed.
When I called back they booked it in to be changed without any issues. It did take them well over an hour to do the work for some weird reason :confused:

Last edited:

rryans11

MK3 Leon Cupra 290
Feb 4, 2012
UK
Does anyone have any documentation that states that this is a genuine warranty claim as I am having trouble with the same issue and the dealers aren't buying that it can be fixed under warranty. Contacted Seat Customer Services also and they said they'd never heard of it. :shrug:

Last edited:

Snah

Jul 7, 2014
Netherlands
Whell cracked taillights are one of the rare problems the 5F in general has.
Here in The Netherlands all the people who had troubles with them got them replaced under warranty.
Just BS from customer service!
Somewhere here there is also a thread about it.

Matt280

Jan 14, 2015
My near side one was cracked and replaced under warranty with no quibbles from the dealer. I did have to go through the process of taking it in so they could 'assess' it, then they ordered a part and I had to go back a couple of weeks later but no biggie to be honest.

Curtly

Jun 5, 2015
Essex
The common fault is internal cracks and this should be warranty work. However you'll have trouble if there is external damage to the unit as they'll blame that on everything

grenade

Jun 22, 2014
North East
Had my car in for a service, when I picked it up they said my rear light had cracked and had condensation so ordered me a new one under warranty and fit it this week. I didn't even notice it

PaulyM

still learning
Apr 6, 2011
Cheshire
Agreed, it is a common problem. And take CS with a pinch of salt, they always deny any issues. A good dealer will know the problem or possibly do a database search. If the crack is internal they should replace it without any issues.

chrishale

May 31, 2010
Manchester, UK
I ended up buying a new one, as I couldn't really be bothered with the hassle and aggravation of dealing with a seat dealership.

When I arrived to pick it up from David Cook Motors, I asked one of the tech's to give me some pointers on replacing it. When walking up to the car, he pointed out that the drivers side one had a small crack as well :( I think I'll wait till my next service and bring it up with the dealership then, see if I can get it replaced free while I'm their. If not, I'll probably end up replacing it myself if it gets any worse.

Anyway, when replacing the passenger side one this weekend I noticed something weird when removing the light. One of the metal fixings that line up the light with the car had snapped clean off: http://imgur.com/a/GKptI

All I can guess is that something like that couldn't happen without considerable force. I've defiantly not hit anything, and I struggle to see how anyone could have hit the light without leaving a mark on the paint work. Has anyone else noticed this?

chrishale

May 31, 2010
Manchester, UK
Also, has anyone got any ideas on what I can do with the broken one I've removed? The LEDs still work, so I guess I could keep it as a spare.

But I've noticed a few people have been converting their halogen lights to LED, would it be possible to use the internals of the LED ones and swap them for the internals of a halogen one - if that makes sense?

Peter W

Aug 8, 2014
Larne, County Antrim
I ended up buying a new one, as I couldn't really be bothered with the hassle and aggravation of dealing with a seat dealership.

When I arrived to pick it up from David Cook Motors, I asked one of the tech's to give me some pointers on replacing it. When walking up to the car, he pointed out that the drivers side one had a small crack as well :( I think I'll wait till my next service and bring it up with the dealership then, see if I can get it replaced free while I'm their. If not, I'll probably end up replacing it myself if it gets any worse.

Anyway, when replacing the passenger side one this weekend I noticed something weird when removing the light. One of the metal fixings that line up the light with the car had snapped clean off: http://imgur.com/a/GKptI

All I can guess is that something like that couldn't happen without considerable force. I've defiantly not hit anything, and I struggle to see how anyone could have hit the light without leaving a mark on the paint work. Has anyone else noticed this?
You really shouldn't have paid for something SEAT knows there are issues with. Show them this thread I started a while back. Almost 6500 views tells you something... http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=418719&highlight=cracked+tail+lights

Happy Days

Cupra 280/ FR 184 Nice.
Apr 13, 2016
Somerset
Had my car in for a service, when I picked it up they said my rear light had cracked and had condensation so ordered me a new one under warranty and fit it this week. I didn't even notice it

Just noticed the same on mine today, must get it to the dealers.

SiR26

Mar 21, 2015
Manchester
Just noticed when I arrived at the car park this morning that the outer plastic on my passenger side rear light cluster is cracked :( So, I'm looking to get a replacement - been quoted £125 inc VAT from my local garage (non SEAT franchise). Is that a good price? I'm struggling to find them online, I can only find the tailgate part of the rear light, whereas I'm looking for the non-tailgate part.

Thanks in advance!

Mine did this its something seat did under a warranty claim

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise