MK3 Leon Cupra R - rumour and speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyCurtis

Apr 27, 2016
Somewhere in Wiltshire
Sorry to revive a 2 month old thread, but I am a new member and thought I'd browse.
I test drove the Cupra 290 yesterday whilst my Leon was in for its first service and I fell in love. I am definitely getting one in the new year!

However, if they did bring out a Cupra R in that time, that broke the 300bhp barrier, then I'd be all over it!

Cupra Belfast

Jun 11, 2016
Your 290 probably does break the 300bhp barrier

Sorry to revive a 2 month old thread, but I am a new member and thought I'd browse.
I test drove the Cupra 290 yesterday whilst my Leon was in for its first service and I fell in love. I am definitely getting one in the new year!

However, if they did bring out a Cupra R in that time, that broke the 300bhp barrier, then I'd be all over it!

A 290 does break the 300bhp barrier, marginally, with roughly 295 lbft of torque too (400 Nm), as it has the two silencer exhaust system adapted from the 280ST. The 280 SC & 5 door have a middle silencer and are also at running at about 300 bhp, but with about 275 lbft of torque (375 Nm).

With some decent tyres on a Cupra coupled with learning how to play around with the ESC switched off leads to a serious turn of speed. I'd be surprised if there was any real point in more power in real world driving. Perhaps if you are keen on track days there would be a point in more power? Otherwise just get the Cupra, you will not regret doing so. Picked mine up in April. Totally over the moon with it.

Point to note: There are folk claiming ludicrously high outputs from stock cars on dynos (310-320 bhp) They will be adding silly intake air temperatures and probably doing the run with the bonnet open. Both of which are ways to deliver an over reading of power & torque.

ggo89

Hot Hatch Fan
May 19, 2016
Cluj-Napoca, RO
I rly hope I didn't get the Cupra 290 just to find out in 3 months time there'll be a Cupra R available starting next year in the same price range and 4x4 with a more powerful EA888 2.0 TSI. Mine's due for delivery in about 4 weeks (fingers crossed). Especially since the 290 is approx. 1yr old.

Last edited:

Cupra Belfast

Jun 11, 2016
I rly hope I didn't get the Cupra 290 just to find out in 3 months time there'll be a Cupra R available starting next year in the same price range and 4x4 with a more powerful EA888 2.0 TSI. Mine's due for delivery in about 4 weeks (fingers crossed). Especially since the 290 is approx. 1yr old.

I believe Seat tested the 4x4 available for the chassis and dismissed it. There are back to back tests of the Golf R where it beat the Audi RS3 on a track and the Leon Cupra beating a golf R. The 4x4 is poor and the 2.5 5 cylinder engine is also poor. The S3 has the same engine, but the chassis balance is all over the shop and it drives like a pig. I have no idea how Audi did it so badly.

Links : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3jWVTKYcP0 (copy & paste, Golf R 296 bhp (quoted) versus RS3 265bhp (quoted))

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5dRujiHbpA (copy & paste, Golf R versus Leon Cupra, both have identical engines)

Seriously, the Seat engineers have made the best job of the MQB platform. The Leon Cupra is the 'dogs danglies'.

Last edited:

ivo098

Apr 29, 2009
Bulgaria
It is confirmed here in Bulgaria dealership.
They are selling out Cupra-s at great prices, because they are expecting delivery at the end of the year of 4x4 300 hp Leon.
It is not known if it will be badged Cupra R or different but we will have 300hp 4x4 Leon for sure next year.

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
It is confirmed here in Bulgaria dealership.
They are selling out Cupra-s at great prices, because they are expecting delivery at the end of the year of 4x4 300 hp Leon.
It is not known if it will be badged Cupra R or different but we will have 300hp 4x4 Leon for sure next year.

As the 280/290 already has 300bhp plus anyway, with the extra weight of 4WD it would need about 350bhp just to compete, SEAT said it won't happen and I still think most dealers talk a lot of bull**t. If you want 4WD buy a Golf R, which is still slower round a track than the 280.

Last edited:

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Cannot see Seat bring out 4x4 model, not when the 290 can handle the BHP so well.

You do know there is already a 4WD Leon don't you.

I've heard (from sources who attend meetings with SEAT ES) that there will be another 4WD Leon joining the family sometime soon. Not quite what people are expecting though.

yellowcone87

Mar 9, 2014
Warwickshire
You do know there is already a 4WD Leon don't you.

I've heard (from sources who attend meetings with SEAT ES) that there will be another 4WD Leon joining the family sometime soon. Not quite what people are expecting though.

Are we talking about the CrossSport perchance?

Because if that's Seats idea of a fast 4wd Leon that people will want to buy I suspect they may have grossly misunderstood what these customers were asking for... The early concept was hideous.

xSullx

Jul 16, 2012
Estonia
I've seen a few Leon X-perience's as well. Although, I remember some weeks back there were news, that the VW-group will cancel up to around 30-40 models production to cope with the emissions scandal. To be honest, my first thought was - Cupra R?
It surely remains to be seen what are the plans for SEAT when the facelift arrives. Fingers crossed the suits at VW-group or SEAT, who ever pulls the strings, will go ahead with the Cupra R.

Last edited:

Fooxy

Nov 27, 2015
Don't know if this has been posted before..

youtube.com/watch?v=IKCZPDHeBcs

Last edited:

figolovechild

Leon FR CR 170TDI
Sep 12, 2011
Glenrothes
I was enquiring about a 290 black today at a dealership and was told that there is a facelift model coming out with new interior and 300hp. Didn't tell me if it was going to be 4 wheel drive though. Didn't say if it was going to be a Cupra R either...

Status
Not open for further replies.