2013 diesel leon fr rattle

Mattlfc79

Sep 3, 2016
Hi all,

Thanks for the add and am new to the world of seat. I have a 2.0 diesel fr, 150 bhp. It has a strange rattling sound when idling. Hopefully you can tell from the video. Just wondered if it's normal. Many thanks

Matt

https://youtu.be/G-HEAs2KMAU

Mattlfc79

Sep 3, 2016
It might be better on this one

https://youtu.be/LjqXWl4KuMo

In the cabin it sometimes sounds a bit like some blowing a raspberry haha. Also if I put the car in neutral and press the clutch the idle speed goes up a little till I release the clutch.

Blaine

Apr 12, 2012
Heard a few and all sound the same, mines is the same too, just seems to be a nosy engine on idle

froilburner

FR Oil Burner
Apr 9, 2006
Matt

Has you Leon always made this noise or has it just developed recently. How many miles have you on it?

Andy90

Jul 30, 2013
I also have a 2013 150 diesel fr and noticed a different rattle sound (similar to this) from the engine recently... only seems to be on engine start on the colder mornings.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

ps13sr20

Aug 28, 2016
the EA288 VW engine suffers a lot from balancer shaft drive rattle. when i had my FR184 it did the same. They have no rattle control mechanism on the balancer drive.

Last edited:

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
the EA288 VW engine suffers a lot from balancer shaft drive rattle. when i have my FR184 is did the same. they have no rattle control mechanism on the balancer drive.

+1 for this, at least in the Passat the 150 engine is a lot noisier at idle than the previous 140.
Disclaimer: I do not own, drive, use , or have ever used a diesel Leon. Of any trim level. Or Mk. Or colour. Or style. Just to be clear. I did pass one once, on the motorway. I believe the 150 engine in the current Passat is the same, if I am wrong in my assumption I apologise profusely. Now, its beer time. Again. :D:p

andrewpain

Jul 5, 2014
Meppershall Beds.
+1 for this, at least in the Passat the 150 engine is a lot noisier at idle than the previous 140.
Disclaimer: I do not own, drive, use , or have ever used a diesel Leon. Of any trim level. Or Mk. Or colour. Or style. Just to be clear. I did pass one once, on the motorway. I believe the 150 engine in the current Passat is the same, if I am wrong in my assumption I apologise profusely. Now, its beer time. Again. :D:p

don't forget you have in the past communicated with diesel Leon owners, so you can't distance yourself too much.
It's Ok as long as you don't inhale......

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
don't forget you have in the past communicated with diesel Leon owners, so you can't distance yourself too much.
It's Ok as long as you don't inhale......

I know, but each time I have said the words " super unleaded" 3 times over whilst turning around with my pants on my head and a pencil up my nose. I believe this is a cure, although I may be getting mixed up with something else... :D

niallain

Apr 9, 2017
Cardiff
Digging up an old thread, but I've had this twice now on my FR184.

Both after driving home from work. Start/stop wouldn't kick in and revs idle at 1k which both indicate DPF regen. When I give it a few revs the rattle stops until it drops back to idle.

When I turn the engine off the fan doesn't keep going as if it was doing a DPF regen

Any ideas?

niallain

Apr 9, 2017
Cardiff
Bumping again as this seems to be a permanent noise for me now.

Issue started after driving through a big puddle a little too fast...

Rattle is really noticeable from passenger side when idling at 800rpm.
If I hold the car at 1000rpm the rattle goes away.

Any ideas?

X3RN

Nov 11, 2018
Norfolk, UK
I've got the same car as you, Just a year newer. I've found the car rattles a lot, Door cards, Seats, Dashboard, a few panels above the rear seats and the glove box, Could be some of these? I find that the instrument cluster rattles the most when at low rpms/idle.