LCR Mk2 - that was a mistake - and handling.

SteA

Jan 12, 2016
Shrewsbury
I've really enjoyed my Speed blue R, definitely an excellent purchase :D but I recently had a temporary loss of my senses and decided to get something a bit more hardcore, that I could use in anger on track when not using a caterham. After careful deliberation, I decided on an RS250 / 265, so off comes my downpipe and sports cat (sold), my LCR went up for sale and car hunting I went. After several test drives, including excellent sections of road, back to back comparisons with mine, I was utterly disappointed, especially considering the RS mania that exists in the media and on the forums. Anyway, after briefly toying with spending a bit more money for a mk3 Cupra or a V8 M3, I came to my senses and the LCR is here to stay :rofl:

Swimming against the tide a bit here, but I already think the LCR has pretty excellent levels of go and grip in near standard form; PSS tyres, alignment, pads / fluid and Rtech 313 bhp remap (which is outstanding by the way :thumbup: ), oddly the handling feel / impression doesn't do justice to the speed it can carry. The main issues I've found with handling are too much body roll, especially on high speed direction changes, the front end wants to be a bit tighter with more grip for getting the power down early on and the back end could be more lively (coming from many years of 400+ bhp RWD cars so happy with oversteer). I've waded through the threads and still got a few questions:

1. I'm thinking of KW ARB's with a stiffer setting on the rear. Most of my driving is on fast, country roads that can be frequently somewhat undulating, so has anyone fitted ARBs to a LCR and lost grip on these kinds of road? Any other issues?
2. I am also going to fit a WALK kit, does anyone have the alignment settings I should use once it's done please? Or leave as standard LCR settings?

Prior to summer trackdays in 2017, I will likely also fit an LSD and better callipers but I'm pretty happy as it is for a few winter trackdays. Wish I hadn't sold my downpipe :blink:

OldManPooley

Jul 9, 2015
I've really enjoyed my Speed blue R, definitely an excellent purchase :D but I recently had a temporary loss of my senses and decided to get something a bit more hardcore, that I could use in anger on track when not using a caterham. After careful deliberation, I decided on an RS250 / 265, so off comes my downpipe and sports cat (sold), my LCR went up for sale and car hunting I went. After several test drives, including excellent sections of road, back to back comparisons with mine, I was utterly disappointed, especially considering the RS mania that exists in the media and on the forums. Anyway, after briefly toying with spending a bit more money for a mk3 Cupra or a V8 M3, I came to my senses and the LCR is here to stay :rofl:

Swimming against the tide a bit here, but I already think the LCR has pretty excellent levels of go and grip in near standard form; PSS tyres, alignment, pads / fluid and Rtech 313 bhp remap (which is outstanding by the way :thumbup: ), oddly the handling feel / impression doesn't do justice to the speed it can carry. The main issues I've found with handling are too much body roll, especially on high speed direction changes, the front end wants to be a bit tighter with more grip for getting the power down early on and the back end could be more lively (coming from many years of 400+ bhp RWD cars so happy with oversteer). I've waded through the threads and still got a few questions:

1. I'm thinking of KW ARB's with a stiffer setting on the rear. Most of my driving is on fast, country roads that can be frequently somewhat undulating, so has anyone fitted ARBs to a LCR and lost grip on these kinds of road? Any other issues?
2. I am also going to fit a WALK kit, does anyone have the alignment settings I should use once it's done please? Or leave as standard LCR settings?

Prior to summer trackdays in 2017, I will likely also fit an LSD and better callipers but I'm pretty happy as it is for a few winter trackdays. Wish I hadn't sold my downpipe :blink:

As a current LCR owner i know what you mean.

Years ago i convinced my misses( Then girlfriend ) to buy a Megane R26 after reading all the rave reviews (5 star evo mag car and all that ) and it was sold after 5 months. Bored me senseless tbh.

I came to the conclusion to take reviews with a pinch of salt. I read an evo review a while ago between an LCR, Megane 250 cup, Focus RS and a Mk6 Golf gti. They put the LCR in last place because of steering feel and handling, but said it had the best engine out of the four.......and guess what, it was also quickest on track, so doesnt handle that bad then lol. each to there own i guess

Last edited:

SteA

Jan 12, 2016
Shrewsbury
Hmmm if I had the choice I'd take the keys to Meg, in liquid yellow

That's what I thought too, hence selling the downpipe and putting my car up for sale. Even if the RS Cup had two extra doors and the added practicality of my Leon, I still wouldn't swap.

As a current LCR owner i know what you mean.

Years ago i convinced my misses( Then girlfriend ) to buy a Megane R26 after reading all the rave reviews (5 star evo mag car and all that ) and it was sold after 5 months. Bored me senseless tbh.

I came to the conclusion to take reviews with a pinch of salt. I read an evo review a while ago between an LCR, Megane 250 cup, Focus RS and a Mk6 Golf gti. They put the LCR in last place because of steering feel and handling, but said it had the best engine out of the four.......and guess what, it was also quickest on track, so doesnt handle that bad then lol. each to there own i guess

Indeed, each to there own, it may have been the reviews fault in many ways, I just expected a lot more from the Megane!

Jun 25, 2012
Gateshead
The LCR party piece is its engine and its tuneability, the megane on the other hand is its handling & poise at the limit.

Trying them back to back on public roads the meg does feel a little under powered and flat. But on track where your exploring the limits of grip the meg comes into its own.You might think there's a lot of hype surrounding the meg but it's at the limit where it raises the bar,same goes for the older R26.

on track I found the LCR's brakes to be first area that needed addressing,after the brakes were sorted and the car was remapped,this really did highlight the body roll, but on my last trackday my biggest issue was not being able to turn off all the interfearing electronics,
We've just done Croft on Monday gone and the car refused to deliver any power going through Hawthorn and sunny out, I believe this is something to do with some sensors (steering angle vs throttle position) and trying to left foot trail brake while keeping the power on doesn't work either.very frustrating when trying to enjoy the car and track .

Just so happens the mates I did the the trackday with were in a RS250 cup and R26 F1. The RS250 was standard bar some AD08 trackrubber that coupled with its LSD kept my modified LCR honest,

Aug 6, 2009
cumbria
Front and rear ARB's make a massive difference, I've the H&R ARBs the 28mm and 24mm are the thicker set.
ALK paired with SuperPro adjustable ball joints is a good set up allows adding camber to your setup.

SteA

Jan 12, 2016
Shrewsbury
The LCR party piece is its engine and its tuneability, the megane on the other hand is its handling & poise at the limit.

Trying them back to back on public roads the meg does feel a little under powered and flat. But on track where your exploring the limits of grip the meg comes into its own.You might think there's a lot of hype surrounding the meg but it's at the limit where it raises the bar,same goes for the older R26.

on track I found the LCR's brakes to be first area that needed addressing,after the brakes were sorted and the car was remapped,this really did highlight the body roll, but on my last trackday my biggest issue was not being able to turn off all the interfearing electronics,
We've just done Croft on Monday gone and the car refused to deliver any power going through Hawthorn and sunny out, I believe this is something to do with some sensors (steering angle vs throttle position) and trying to left foot trail brake while keeping the power on doesn't work either.very frustrating when trying to enjoy the car and track .

Just so happens the mates I did the the trackday with were in a RS250 cup and R26 F1. The RS250 was standard bar some AD08 trackrubber that coupled with its LSD kept my modified LCR honest,

Luckily I did get to drive a mapped car, so at least one was pretty pokey, overall it just wasn't for me. They are excellent track weopons, but on the handling and feedback front I was expecting too much I think and comparing unfairly to previous track cars and caterhams.

I'm surprised about the electronic interventions, I've only done a wet track day in this car but had no annoying interventions or trouble getting the power down, I'm at Oulton soon so hopefully I may get to try it out in the dry too.:D

Front and rear ARB's make a massive difference, I've the H&R ARBs the 28mm and 24mm are the thicker set.
ALK paired with SuperPro adjustable ball joints is a good set up allows adding camber to your setup.

Thanks, I've also read good things about KW bars so I will think about which to get. I don't suppose you have the post mod alignment settings to use?

OldManPooley

Jul 9, 2015

Totally agree with what you say there. but with me who has no intention of track days all i want is a fast well made road car that handles well but not necessarily the best,and goes like stink. ( Im sure there magical when pushed to the limit, but in a road car how often is that gonna happen )

I soon figured out that Renault sports are not for me for the above reasons, and that was without taking into account there build quality and shocking depreciation! lol

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2009
cumbria
Thanks, I've also read good things about KW bars so I will think about which to get. I don't suppose you have the post mod alignment settings to use?

I'll have a look for the alignment print out for you, difference in handling was massive after having a good fast road set up put on the car.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.