Is this a speed camera?

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
b45607df99699917e5185ebf954e8506.jpg

I know this isn't Leon or even SEAT related but I'm hoping somebody knows what this is! Two of them have popped up on country lanes (50 zones) near my house, right next to where it goes down to 30. They're relatively busy roads I guess but not a place you'd usually see generic traffic CCTV cameras which is my reason for concern.

There are no sign posts up saying there are speed cameras and apparently all speed cameras must be yellow as of this month. But they have only appeared today so?

Any knowledge will be beneficial as I'm quite concerned if they are and apologies for the **** photo quality but it's pitch black out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's 100% an ANPR camera. They've popped up by me too.

PaulyM

still learning
Apr 6, 2011
Cheshire
They look like Vector cameras to me and are mainly used to monitor congestion or traffic infringements. They do use ANPR technology though.

Can I ask what road they are on please?

dw911

Mar 30, 2013
Up already mate, on the M6 Midlands and on the M1. Starting to appear on the M42 also. Replacing GATSO's in most cases.

Thats not good, I'd seen then on the M25, didn't relize they had spread so quick, thanks for the heads up:)
Have noticed though on the M25 they do seem to be proceed by 3 gray poles on left side of the carriageway just before you get to the gantry on which they are side mounted too, so it's possible to get some warning your approaching one, or at least it is on the M25

j.owen

Aug 30, 2015
St. Helens
They look like Vector cameras to me and are mainly used to monitor congestion or traffic infringements. They do use ANPR technology though.

Can I ask what road they are on please?

They're on Clock Face Rd, just off School Lane (A569)

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
Thats not good, I'd seen then on the M25, didn't relize they had spread so quick, thanks for the heads up:)
Have noticed though on the M25 they do seem to be proceed by 3 gray poles on left side of the carriageway just before you get to the gantry on which they are side mounted too, so it's possible to get some warning your approaching one, or at least it is on the M25

Yup, they have to have those, they will take a picture of the variable speed limit sign to avoid any 'the sign was at 60' arguments. Its also up to the Chief Constable ( or someone similar - other overpaid civil servants are available ;) ) when the cameras are used, I.e only when the variable limit is active or at all times. So you never know.

dw911

Mar 30, 2013
Yup, they have to have those, they will take a picture of the variable speed limit sign to avoid any 'the sign was at 60' arguments. Its also up to the Chief Constable ( or someone similar - other overpaid civil servants are available ;) ) when the cameras are used, I.e only when the variable limit is active or at all times. So you never know.

Appreciate the info, always good to know how these things work
Cheers :)

StylancePaul

CUPRA Owner
May 31, 2006
Cambridge, UK
Something similar popped up round my way for a month or so a little while ago. They were being used to inform a traffic survey, I was told. Effectively by recording number plates as they go through they can determine what routes vehicles are taking, this is in advance of a new bypass/flyover being built as part of the planning control is that HGVs don't start using it as a shortcut from the A14 to the A14!

j.owen

Aug 30, 2015
St. Helens
Something similar popped up round my way for a month or so a little while ago. They were being used to inform a traffic survey, I was told. Effectively by recording number plates as they go through they can determine what routes vehicles are taking, this is in advance of a new bypass/flyover being built as part of the planning control is that HGVs don't start using it as a shortcut from the A14 to the A14!

How did you find this out?

Sanderk95

May 22, 2017
Im pretty sure its a surveillance camera there are alot of those in the netherlands aswell

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise