Cleaning Exhaust tips

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
I told you it was 'the daddy'! They look incredible now, eh. Sounds like you've used liberally rather than sparingly, though! Blimey, I've had the same tube for about 10 years and still loads left. Cheap enough :D

Yup, you were right! I put the bins out last night whilst it was pitch black and something glinting caught my eye... it was the exhaust tips. LOL. I used about 7-8 toothbrushes full (1 line top, left, right and inside per tip). :rofl: But... looked like they hadn't been done in 35k. So hopefully I can go a bit easier next time!

DrewCole

Spannering the Cupra
Oct 19, 2015
Braintree, Essex
Autosol is from the 50's. Get something modern like Autofinesse Mercury.
What's the difference?

Aerosol works, just because it's a dated product doesn't mean you shouldn't use it.

I'd rather a product from when cars were dripping in chrome than the plastic cars of todays.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Ronnie Bagel

Monsoon Grey ST 290 DSG
Jul 15, 2016
Tamworth
What's the difference?

Aerosol works, just because it's a dated product doesn't mean you shouldn't use it.

I'd rather a product from when cars were dripping in chrome than the plastic cars of todays.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

....and another thing.... Autosol £3, Autofinesse Mercury £10

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ronnie Bagel

Monsoon Grey ST 290 DSG
Jul 15, 2016
Tamworth
Very interesting - so what's the best method of application - smearing on with MF cloth? "Brushing" on with toothbrush?

Wash the crap off the chrome and dry, then use a pea-sized amount on an MF cloth and just rub it around until the shine appears. The cloth will go black as the crud transfers over (there's probably some smart a*** who'll explain some sort of chemical reaction).

You might need a couple of applications depending how bad they are. The trick is then keeping on top of them after that. Once a month should do.

You don't need to use much at all. The cloth and the paste gives enough friction. A tooth brush wouldn't be any use at all. No need for wire wool either.

Reactions: ryzzey

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Are you guys just using autosol and microfibre, or autosol with sponge (with scourer side) or autosol with wirewool?

Doh! posted when I didn't go to page 2!

Last edited:

lewischadwick7

Jul 4, 2016
Barnsley
as above just mf cloths, in a worst case scenario 0000 grade wirewool can be used with warm soapy water and polish after with autosol and mf :)

Ronnie Bagel

Monsoon Grey ST 290 DSG
Jul 15, 2016
Tamworth
Its protection effectiveness is poor.

http://shineguide.co.uk/trim/best-metal-polish/

The two dated products, Autosol and T-Cut finish last here.

Great guide and clearly Autosol and others aren't rated as well as White Diamond, which is the new daddy, it seems.

Six times the price, though, so does it last six times as long on the car as a protective coating?

Autosol must now be the grand-daddy, then. I used to love my granddad, though........now where did I put that Brylcreem?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Well, at the moment, my stable of products is exclusively Autoglym. But I want to get my car looking as good as possible. So trying a few other brands to see what works. I was impressed with the Autosol and decided to give the White Diamond a try, although the price made me hesitate on the checkout page for quite a while.

gycBTqa.jpg

White Diamond on the left. I found it really easy to apply. Didn't require much effort at all. And smells so nice I can see why they warn you not to eat it on the bottle!

Autosol on the right. Was harder to work in. But can't really see a discernible difference between the two.

I went on to clean the letters and badges with White Diamond purely because it was less effort. Next couple of washes, I'll use plain shampoo until one of them gives up.

Last edited:

dodds_turbo

OEM+ member
Sep 4, 2016
Edinburgh
Just bought a tube of Autosol on eBay. Will post a before and after, and 50:50 between the two. The DPF filter does a reasonable job keeping soot off the tailpipes but they're still far from shiny/nice looking.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
So... 2 weeks later the exhaust is a bit sooted up. I restrained myself to just soapy water. Can't really see any obvious difference between the two.

jUWQwT5.jpg

Last edited:
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.