Tailgate Swop Facelift To Prefaclift

Bully007

May 9, 2017
Hi I'm new on here, this is my first post so hello to every one and be gentle with me. I have a Leon FR Super Copa 2012 for just over a year now.

I've been looking onto changing the back lights to the Hella LED ones, but correct me if I'm wrong, they will not fit my car? I also like the BTCC rear tailgate spoiler but I believe also that
this doesn't fit my car as well :cry:

Like these both so much that Im prepared to change the tailgate, from my facelift one to a preface lift one. Is this possible if so what issues will I have?

If this as been asked before then please accept my apologies and could you point me in the right direction to my questions Thanks

Speed-FReek

Jun 12, 2013
South Oxfordshire, UK
Boot lid swap over from pre-facelift to facelift (of vice versa) is a straight swap, however be aware that for people who have already done it, there is a very slight misalignment issue with the lights in the tailgate not quite lining up with the lights in the rear wings.

This is a pre-faclift car that has a facelift boot lid fitted...

IMG_0131_zps6cbcf818.jpg

And the same car after the boot has been resprayed and had different lights fitted, plus some re-alignment of the tailgate although you can see that it's still not 100% perfect...

IMG_1133_zps3756a8f5.jpg

Expect the same alignment issue with fitting a pre-facelift boot lid to a facellift.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jason24

Bully007

May 9, 2017
Great thanks for that, do you know if there will be any issue with the lights, LED issues with the HELLAS or are they a plug and play swop?

Speed-FReek

Jun 12, 2013
South Oxfordshire, UK
If you mean the HELLA "LED" tail lights as per the pictures below, they aren't actually LED lights. They are just made to look like LEDs. Internally they just use normal P21W and W5W incandescent bulbs.

Because your car currently has the LED tick lights installed, the coding would need to be changed to accommodate incandescent bulb units instead if you wanted them to work properly.

Going from LED lights to incandescent bulbs seems like a step backwards to me but if that's what you really want to do then I guess it's up to you :)

Bully007

May 9, 2017
I agree in what your saying, just love the lights. It seems a lot of hassle to just fit normal bulb lights, guess I should and will have to rethink my idea:cry: Thanks

Jason24

Apr 20, 2018
Boot lid swap over from pre-facelift to facelift (of vice versa) is a straight swap, however be aware that for people who have already done it, there is a very slight misalignment issue with the lights in the tailgate not quite lining up with the lights in the rear wings.

This is a pre-faclift car that has a facelift boot lid fitted...

IMG_0131_zps6cbcf818.jpg

And the same car after the boot has been resprayed and had different lights fitted, plus some re-alignment of the tailgate although you can see that it's still not 100% perfect...

IMG_1133_zps3756a8f5.jpg

Expect the same alignment issue with fitting a pre-facelift boot lid to a facellift.
hi there I fitted this facelift boot yesterday on to my pre facelift but having problems with centre brake light not working and also offside light not working too can anyone help me on this matter

Oct 9, 2019
Just purchased a facelift boot lid for my pre facelift Leon mk 2, was about to fit...
The wiring loom plug on the left is the same, however the wiring loom plug on the right is different has anyone else has this problem?

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise