Aftermarket radio compatible with steering wheel controls?

melat0nin

Aug 4, 2016
Hi all

I'm looking to replace my Alana radio with something aftermarket with the usual goodies (usb, bluetooth etc).

Are the steering wheel controls generic? Or is there something in particular I should be looking for to ensure compatibility? It's absolutely key that they work, otherwise there's no point in doing the replacement :bleh:

Any suggestions welcome :)

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
Yea you can get patch leads to make the controls work, although depending on the stereo you get and the patch lead you sometimes don't always get all the controls.

melat0nin

Aug 4, 2016
Thanks!

That's quite a lot of money for the converter -- are there any brands/models of head unit that are compatible by default? Or that you'd recommend generally?

Westindieman

Sep 4, 2016
If an aftermarket unit works with vehicles with analogue steering wheel, does this apply to my Leon MkII?

melat0nin

Aug 4, 2016
Sorry to resurrect this thread, but can anyone recommend an aftermarket bluetooth HU that is guaranteed to work with minimal fuss?

I was looking at the Kenwood KMM-BT302 which gets decent reviews, but I don't want to buy something only to find that I need to spend a fortune on the converter lead, and/or the controls don't all work!

melat0nin

Aug 4, 2016
So I took the plunge and bought a Kenwood HU (it's mechless, so really shallow and kinda cute :D ), with connections on the back like this:

6yjtsh.jpg

It came with this wiring harness (note the wire labelled "Steering Wheel Remote Input"):

2rrb80m.jpg

The back of the existing Alana unit looks like this:

28s17l.jpg

So, do I need the Connects2 cable (CTSST002.2)? I'm a bit confused by the presence of the "steering wheel remote input" wire on the harness that came with the Kenwood HU.

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
You need two cables, there's usually one that plugs into the alana bit and a separate one for the kenwood, those two cables join together and you get (some) steering wheel buttons.

Kenwood don't make it simple, I had a right mare finding the correct harness for my mates Renault.

melat0nin

Aug 4, 2016
You need two cables, there's usually one that plugs into the alana bit and a separate one for the kenwood, those two cables join together and you get (some) steering wheel buttons.

Kenwood don't make it simple, I had a right mare finding the correct harness for my mates Renault.

Cool, well I've ordered the CTSST002.2 harness and the Kenwood Patch Lead (http://www.carcommunications.co.uk/...alk-lead-for-kenwood-headunits-ctkenwoodlead2 -- although not from them). Should that be sufficient? There are two Kenwood patch lead options, but with a bit of sleuthing I *think* I've got the right one...

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
Yea I think so, the other patch cable usually has a DIN plug on the end and a large connector on the headunit

Jule

Jun 9, 2018
All fitted and working perfectly :)
Is this thread still on?
On the picture of your Seat factory unit you on third connector you have 4 wires ( Purple, black and white are for aux )
Is the yellow wire for steering controls and is it the only single wire for all controls?
Asking this since somoone stole my head unit and ripped of my connectors

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members