2010 TDI Fuel Filter leaking!

WolfyWesty

Nov 10, 2016
Hi Everyone,

I have a 2010 Ibiza TDI Ecomotive, and recently I've noticed that the fuel filter is slowly leaking out diesel. It's a very slow drip when the engine is running, and doesn't appear to drip at all with the engine off.

It has a 1K020 051E filter.

I've taken the filter off and checked it over - no holes or cracks, and the hoses/clips seem to be in good condition too. Didn't appear to be blocked.

The car has only just tipped over 48000 miles, and the handbook says replace the fuel filter at 60000 miles.

Does this mean it needs a new filter? Or could there be a different issue?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

DrewCole

Spannering the Cupra
Oct 19, 2015
Braintree, Essex
With the engine off the fuel pump won't be running, so the pressure in the fuel system is reduced, with the engine on the pressure increases.

You may not be able to see any damage, but it would only take the slightest hairline crack for fuel to leak out under pressure.

I would replace the filter and go from there.

WolfyWesty

Nov 10, 2016
With the engine off the fuel pump won't be running, so the pressure in the fuel system is reduced, with the engine on the pressure increases.

You may not be able to see any damage, but it would only take the slightest hairline crack for fuel to leak out under pressure.

I would replace the filter and go from there.

Is it common for them to crack?

DrewCole

Spannering the Cupra
Oct 19, 2015
Braintree, Essex
No not really, but that doesn't mean anything.

If something is going to fail then it will do, common problem or not.

If there if dripping fuel, then it is either damaged hoses/clamps or the filter, you've checked over the clamps and hoses, so the filter is the likely culprit.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.