Problems selling an LCR

mungo

Dec 15, 2002
Southampton
Visit site
In 2002 I bought a Cupra R brand new. It was the best car I have ever had, and I have owned many exotic performance cars - I rate it better than those. I still have it. I bought a 2010 Leon Cupra 2.0 TSI about a month ago as I decided it was time to move on ... I would really have liked the new Cupra but I can't afford that!

Rather than p/x my old Cupra R I thought I would sell it privately as I genuinely thought the car was worth more than that to an enthusiast.

It's done 178,000 miles, it has had one owner: me. It has a full and EXTREMELY comprehensive service history and has just had the cambelt and water pump done again. It has brand new front wishbones and in total I spent about £1500 on maintenance on it in the last two months. I have really looked after it.

I have advertised it quite low considering that a new car with that level of performance would cost £30k plus (Revo stage 1 remap. Nothing else). I am currently asking about £2k for it. I know it's a 14 year old car now and it's done high mileage but it's been looked after and I consider that this is a special enthusiasts car, not just an old crappy hatchback.

It's advertised in Gumtree and I just can't seem to sell it. Is it possible to sell these any more? I refuse to let it go for the price of any old 14 year old hatchback! I also definitely do not want to break it!

Alternatively I could keep as a track only car, or try and store it as an investment for a few decades time? Realistically I have a full garage and a family so I can't keep it - how on earth do I sell it?

DrewCole

Spannering the Cupra
Oct 19, 2015
Braintree, Essex
First of all I would say your biggest problem there is the use of Gumtree.... it isn't the place to go when looking for that type of car.

If an advert state how much money has been spent on a car, but the owner won't spend £30 to advertise it, it might make people wonder.. no offence.

The high mileage will put people off, if it still has the original turbo, then that is likely to be on it's last legs, £2k seems a reasonable amount to me though.

It is rare to find a one owner car in original condition and basically unmodded(?)

Get an advert up on Autotrader or even eBay.... Pistonheads can be alright, but again I find cars on there over priced often as people think they are worth more for being on that site.

Suschef

Apr 24, 2017
That mileage.... 2k is low for an lcr generally I understand but I paid 1450 for a one owner 02 75k full history 180 20vt I know the performance is slightly less but given the choice its where I'd put my money everytime

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

mungo

Dec 15, 2002
Southampton
Visit site
First of all I would say your biggest problem there is the use of Gumtree.... it isn't the place to go when looking for that type of car.

If an advert state how much money has been spent on a car, but the owner won't spend £30 to advertise it, it might make people wonder.. no offence.

The high mileage will put people off, if it still has the original turbo, then that is likely to be on it's last legs, £2k seems a reasonable amount to me though.

It is rare to find a one owner car in original condition and basically unmodded(?)

Get an advert up on Autotrader or even eBay.... Pistonheads can be alright, but again I find cars on there over priced often as people think they are worth more for being on that site.

Very helpful reply and thanks for that. Trying to keep the ad cheap as I am all spent out after the LCRs recent bills AND the purchase of my new Cupra. (and three kids at home!)

It is unmodded, yes, apart from the Revo stage 1 (which they need). Yes, original turbo (still pulls really strong). Original exhaust, original gearbox, second clutch.

The only issue the car has is a little smoke after being left for a bit on initial start up. It's the valve stem oil seals I am told. Apart from that it's amazing condition for a car of that age and mileage.

I considered PH and Autotrader but I am concerned I won't see a ROI. Just not sure what to do. I know if I didn't have lack of time and space, I would keep as my track car. Ideally if I can return the money from it's most recent servicing and let it go to someone I know will appreciate it I will be happy.

mungo

Dec 15, 2002
Southampton
Visit site
That mileage.... 2k is low for an lcr generally I understand but I paid 1450 for a one owner 02 75k full history 180 20vt I know the performance is slightly less but given the choice its where I'd put my money everytime

Thanks for that. The LCR is a very different car though - especially remapped.

Last edited:

Suschef

Apr 24, 2017
Thanks for that. The LCR is a very different car though - especially remapped.
Not at that age/mileage, savvy buyers will know where the sensible money goes, anyone in the loop wanting an lcr will know that reasonable ones start at the 3500 mark, the age and wear on the turbo & exhaust replacements double the investment

Suschef

Apr 24, 2017
I'm not being arsed for the sake of it, I'm sure it's a lovely well looked after car and after 15 years your incrediblely attached to it

mungo

Dec 15, 2002
Southampton
Visit site
It's better condition than a lot of 2010 cars I looked at! The LCR is a different car but that's a different discussion really. I think the fact it's on the original KO4 turbo and box shows that it has been driven with mechanical sympathy and a reflection of how well I have looked after it. Also, it's quicker than my 2010 2.0 TSI which has 240bhp. That says quite a lot about it to me.

Last edited:

Suschef

Apr 24, 2017
It's a different car at 35k with 1 owner full history at a certain age/mileage all cars become the 'same' essentially

Andrewwright

Turbo lover
Aug 16, 2016
Peterborough
It's better condition than a lot of 2010 cars I looked at! The LCR is a different car but that's a different discussion really. I think the fact it's on the original KO4 turbo and box shows that it has been driven with mechanical sympathy and a reflection of how well I have looked after it. Also, it's quicker than my 2010 2.0 TSI which has 240bhp. That says quite a lot about it to me.
Yes it does...and I hope you don't say things like factory turbo because this is what 75k past it's expected life span!
Gumtree has too many R's on there to compete with at 175k

I got my car from there cupra 180 for £400 lol

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

mungo

Dec 15, 2002
Southampton
Visit site
Yes it does...and I hope you don't say things like factory turbo because this is what 75k past it's expected life span!
Gumtree has too many R's on there to compete with at 175k

I got my car from there cupra 180 for £400 lol

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

They all seem to be fake R's. Diesels with LCR wheels and "Cupra R-line" in the description when there was never any such thing.

I think turbos that only last that long must have been driven flat out on every drive, and abused.

Suschef

Apr 24, 2017
North Korea? I agree with Andrew Wright, good luck to you, you've had the car along time it's worth allot more to you than anyone else... There's also no real value in breaking it

Suschef

Apr 24, 2017
Join the mk1 leon owners club page on Facebook there always shifting cars etc ask their advice

mungo

Dec 15, 2002
Southampton
Visit site
Sorry about the North Korea comment (it's the new version of Irish), it's just that, "It's a different car at 35k with 1 owner full history at a certain age/mileage all cars become the 'same' essentially", didn't seem to make any sense. It's tricky trying to say something that would be easy face to face over a keyboard.

At this rate I am going to empty my garage and store it in there until I either ... 1. Sell it as a classic or 2. Decide to track it (but I don't have much time for much of that these days which is why I sold my Caterham!)

Suschef

Apr 24, 2017
If you can keep it I would.. I
You'll never get the chance to own it again, by all cars are essentially the same I mentioned there's guys I know who buy high milers and run them till the tickets run out or break them etc they have no specific interest in the car it's just a vehicle and at a certain age/mileage they all become vehicles regardless of make model spec etc, purist and enthusiasts are different but they also know exactly what they want a what too look for, it's a tough spot for you as you've had the car since new you know it's a solid car etc but on paper it's a risky buy because of the mileage on the engine, I'd keep it and enjoy it, no one will ever have the same bond you do with the car

mungo

Dec 15, 2002
Southampton
Visit site
If you can keep it I would.. I
You'll never get the chance to own it again, by all cars are essentially the same I mentioned there's guys I know who buy high milers and run them till the tickets run out or break them etc they have no specific interest in the car it's just a vehicle and at a certain age/mileage they all become vehicles regardless of make model spec etc, purist and enthusiasts are different but they also know exactly what they want a what too look for, it's a tough spot for you as you've had the car since new you know it's a solid car etc but on paper it's a risky buy because of the mileage on the engine, I'd keep it and enjoy it, no one will ever have the same bond you do with the car

That's the problem when you get a car a certain age it only attracts that type. And I have no idea why they would want a 265bhp hatchback with rock solid unforgiving suspension. It's in the way now though. Sensibly, it has to go. But I might just end up keeping it. I would give it to my kids to learn to drive in but the insurance would be astronomical.

DrewCole

Spannering the Cupra
Oct 19, 2015
Braintree, Essex
I think turbos that only last that long must have been driven flat out on every drive, and abused.

Not so, the design life of any component on a car is limited to a certain period, Turbo's aren't a long life part.

My Turbo oil seals went at bang on 100k after being owned by a single elderly gentleman all it's life, I have never redlined my car or mapped it. The seals just wear out.

The fact that your one has over 175k is great, but looking at it realistically.... at that mileage it won't be picked up by someone who wants a garage queen to appreciate in value over the years.

At your price point it will be someone who is looking for a track car/weekend blaster.

being a 2002 car, I assume it was the 210bhp car before the Revo map?

Does it happen to have the Recaro interior (Front and Rears), or the double din headunit?

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise