Anyone got Kumho ECSTA PS31 tyres on their car?

m4rtin

Dec 6, 2004
Northwich, Cheshire
I'm looking around for new tyres as I'm going to need some on the front of my Leon FR+ in a month or so. I was considering the Kumho KU39 as I had those on my previous car (Ibiza FR) and was really impressed, but it looks like they no longer make them!

In the Kumho UHP range I spotted that they make the ECSTA PS31 in my size (225/40/R18) and it's pretty reasonable to £78.66 per tyre.

Problem is I can't seem to find many reviews or these, so I wondered if anyone has had them and if so what they think?

Thanks!
Martin

Tonezz

Jan 12, 2011
Preston
I had Kumho's on the front of my FR+ and they were terrible. No turning grip, just scrubs out instantly. Spin instantly in the damp.

I chucked them on the back for a bit longer to wear out but got some Goodyear Asymmetrical 3's (£86.50 each I think) on the front which made a big difference.

Last edited:

lodge

Aug 22, 2010
Swansea
I've always run good years but when I went for a new set they were out of stock and was pusuaded to try the kumho. Awful awful awful
No grip. No feel.
Stay away

m4rtin

Dec 6, 2004
Northwich, Cheshire
Which Kumgo ones did you guys have that were so bad? Was it the PS31s or some different ones?

The K39 I had in the past were excellent, especially in the wet. I was genuinely impressed!

ZiggyEP3

Jan 28, 2013
UK
I had KU39 in the past and when new were ok but once part worn were useless in the wet and struggle to put any power down even with plenty of tread left.

Now running Michelin Pilot Super Sports and find these way above them and above the Goodyear Assy2. Much better on wear rate. Higher price yes but been worth it.

Last edited:

Tonezz

Jan 12, 2011
Preston
I've always run good years but when I went for a new set they were out of stock and was pusuaded to try the kumho. Awful awful awful
No grip. No feel.
Stay away

I made the mistake of being in a rush and just telling the Seat dealer to put the best mid range tyre on they have. It was only more recently I realized they weren't even the right speed rating! :/

G.P

Sep 3, 2011
Worcestershire
I'm looking around for new tyres as I'm going to need some on the front of my Leon FR+ in a month or so. I was considering the Kumho KU39 as I had those on my previous car (Ibiza FR) and was really impressed, but it looks like they no longer make them!

In the Kumho UHP range I spotted that they make the ECSTA PS31 in my size (225/40/R18) and it's pretty reasonable to £78.66 per tyre.

Problem is I can't seem to find many reviews or these, so I wondered if anyone has had them and if so what they think?

Thanks!
Martin

I've not tried or heard of anyone using the new PS31 however, as its a newer design I suspect it will be better than the KU39 & 31.

For me I'd fit a Kumho over a Mich. or Goodyear any day as I'm not fussed about wear rates and prefer grip and a tyre that's predictable..

richicupra

Jan 29, 2012
I've not tried or heard of anyone using the new PS31 however, as its a newer design I suspect it will be better than the KU39 & 31.

For me I'd fit a Kumho over a Mich. or Goodyear any day as I'm not fussed about wear rates and prefer grip and a tyre that's predictable..

Even if it is predictably **** :cartman:

richicupra

Jan 29, 2012
Premium brands must be the best right because they cost more.

Each to there own, I know nothing..;)

Was only joking :handbags:
To be fair though, £30 difference per tyre is pretty much irrelevant when you consider how long they are on the car.

ZiggyEP3

Jan 28, 2013
UK

Please tell me that was a joke
cartman.gif
. Ive had several Kumho tires and the grip in wet and wear rate were shockingly bad compared to the Super Sports that are on the car now. Kumho yes are OK at best when new but even 50% through useable life the grip just disappears.

m4rtin

Dec 6, 2004
Northwich, Cheshire
OK, after the not so great feedback I'm thinking of going for either Dunlop SportMaxx RT 2 or Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3, there are both £106.50 per tyre.

Thanks for the help/advice. :)

Last edited:

Daniel M

Blackbelts & Chickenheads
Apr 18, 2013
Middlesbrough
Personally I have Uniroyal Rainsport 3's and find them very good. Wear rate is slightly higher than others but the fronts will last a year easily. Grip in the wet is great and they're only £60-65 each.

m4rtin

Dec 6, 2004
Northwich, Cheshire
Personally I have Uniroyal Rainsport 3's and find them very good. Wear rate is slightly higher than others but the fronts will last a year easily. Grip in the wet is great and they're only £60-65 each.

I've had a look at both of the mobile tyre services I use and neither of them have the Uniroyal Rainsport 3's listed as available :(

Tonezz

Jan 12, 2011
Preston
OK, after the not so great feedback I'm thinking of going for either Dunlop SportMaxx RT 2 or Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3, there are both £106.50 per tyre.

Have you shopped around, I got the Asy 3's for £86.50 each from Kwik Fit with a free £20 shopping voucher.. Also the Dunlop's were my 2nd choice and I think I saw them in a few places for £90 a corner.

G.P

Sep 3, 2011
Worcestershire
Please tell me that was a joke
cartman.gif
. Ive had several Kumho tires and the grip in wet and wear rate were shockingly bad compared to the Super Sports that are on the car now. Kumho yes are OK at best when new but even 50% through useable life the grip just disappears.

I just can't get with Mich. soft sidewalls on higher profiles together with the way they can just let go without any warning. Wet grip on any tire half worn all depends on the depth of water and speed, on a wet road with no standing water a half worn tyre will perform just as well if not better than when new due to tread block movement.

I don't pay much attention to wear rates, so I have to accept your knowledge here..

Flick a coin, Dunlop been the sportier side of Goodyear, but both great tyres..

Jfox

Nov 8, 2012
I have Michelin pilot sport 4's on the Cupra.

I have to say they are amazing. Expensive yes but grip in the dry is fantastic and in the damp and wet is something else.

its my 3rd set now and i wouldnt go for any other.

They did cost me £120 each though haha.

LeeFR

Jul 16, 2017

The Dunlop are 95 on black circles

I have Yokohama c drive 2 on mine at front and eagle f1 ays3 on back
Its hie I got car. But thinking of swapping em round

Last edited:

m4rtin

Dec 6, 2004
Northwich, Cheshire
Ok, done some shopping around and managed to get the prices down to the following, for 2 tyres fully fitted etc...

Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 - £180.46
Dunlop SportMaxx RT 2 - £186.30
Michelin Pilot Sport 4 - £218.14

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members