middle console remove

CDO

Jun 5, 2017
Hi guys,

i am looking for a guide to remove the middle console of my seat leon FR.
Can Anyone can help me with this?

CDO

Jun 5, 2017
I mean the center where the cup holder located it's for removing my handbrake.
i found the bolts but i don't think i got all of them.. i found 3 bolts at each side of the center en 2 in the back.
But i think it's somewhere else it's still stuck but don't know where..

Speed-FReek

Jun 12, 2013
South Oxfordshire, UK
Is it item #17 in the exploded diagram below that you're trying to remove?

If so then do you have an arm rest and rear air vent in your centre console, or is it one without an arm rest and no rear air vent (i.e. just a storage compartment at the rear of the centre console)?

72ysjt.jpg

Speed-FReek

Jun 12, 2013
South Oxfordshire, UK
OK, here are the complete instructions for removing the centre console on a Leon Mk3 5F...

1. Lever out the gearstick gaitor and trim panel in the direction of the arrow.

15xpa2c.jpg

2. Open cover #1 and lever the storage tray #2 out of its mountings in the dash panel.

2hdcuo9.jpg

3. Using a hook, unclip the air conditioning controller panel #1 at the points indicated by the arrows and then remove the controller panel.

2wdo5xt.jpg

4. Unplug the connectors #1, #2 & #3 on the back of the contoller panel by sliding the locking element #4 upwards in the direction of the arrow and pressing catch #5 inwards.

2ag5dd.jpg

5. Remove the left footwell side cover on the centre console by unscrewing bolt #2 and pulling the cover #1 downwards out of catches in the directoon of the arrow.

xga3h0.jpg

6. Remove the right footwell side cover using the same procedure as in the step 5.

7. Remove bolts #2, #3, #4 & #5 from the centre console front cover.

335gz0n.jpg

8. Unclip the front cover #1 from the centre console at the front securing clip #3, then at the rear securing clips #2, then lift it out and remove it.

v6jib7.jpg

9. For vehicles with a rear air vent, go onto the step 10, otherwise move the front seats as far forward as they will go and remove the storage compartment #1 from the centre console #2 in the direction of the arrow.

j8fjg3.jpg

10. For vehicles without a rear air vent, go onto step 12, otherwise move the front seats as far forward as they will go and remove the cover #1 from the centre console in the direction of the arrow.

qp4ei0.jpg

11. Detach the air duct #1 to the rear in the direction of the arrow.

2vmj21x.jpg

12. Make sure some blocks are under the wheels to stop the car rolling away and then lower the handbrake lever into its down most position before levering out the handbrake lever trim #1 and pushing it forward until it can be completely detached from the handbrake lever.

15d9f84.jpg

13. Remove bolts #2 from the centre console #3. Then lift the centre console #3, and using the handbrake lever #1, remove upwards in the direction of the arrow.

2ep5091.jpg

14. For versions with a cigarette lighter/socket, unplug electrical connector.

15. The centre console can now be completely removed.

Fitting is the reverse of removal :)

Reactions: Aardvark

J500ANT

Oct 20, 2006
Bristol
Speed-FReek, I don't suppose you've information on how to remove the auto gear lever surround to do this stripdown? I have tugged away at it, and tried using a credit card as a wedge but nothing wanted to shift.

perkman1969

Feb 25, 2015
NE England
Speed-FReek, I don't suppose you've information on how to remove the auto gear lever surround to do this stripdown? I have tugged away at it, and tried using a credit card as a wedge but nothing wanted to shift.

I did this to wrap the plain plastic bits and have pictures somewhere of the underside of the different bits it breaks down into. I'll dig them out for you tomorrow if Speed-FReek doesn't offer a quicker solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Speed-FReek

Jun 12, 2013
South Oxfordshire, UK

Here you go :) This is how to remove the gearstick gaitor / boot on a DSG Mk3 Leon:-

1. Move the gear selector to position "D". The push button indicated by the arrow does not need to be pulled out by hand. The push button will end up in the unpressed installation position when the handle is pulled off.

4lhfzo.jpg

2. Open the lid of the storage compartment in front of the gear selector. Grasp below the cover with one hand and pull it upwards to unclip it. Unplug the electrical connectors attached to the underside of the gaitor assembly.

24xktoh.jpg

3. Lift the gaitor up over the gear selector knob to reveal a clamp indicated by the arrow. Release the clamp and pull the gear knob off the gear lever without pressing the push button.

23mu3vp.jpg

Re-installation is the reverse of removal. Installation must be performed with the button on the gear selector knob unpressed.

9a5zyo.jpg

If you accidentally managed to press the gear selector knob button in, you will need to release it before installation by doing the following:-

1. Carefully unclip the button trim (A) of the gear selector knob upwards.

t7bhix.jpg

2. Using a screwdriver or another similar tool, press the small lever (1) for the pull rod into the groove (2). This action presses the push button (3) back into the installation position. Picture (I) shows the position of the lever when the push button is in the pressed position, and picture (II) shows the position of the lever when the push button is in the unpressed installation position.

2luxixc.jpg

Reactions: Butty

J500ANT

Oct 20, 2006
Bristol
Thanks Speed-FReek! Couldn't quite do it though, however managed to achieve the desired result of a cable out the back of the cubby, as the storage box has vent holes in it (now hacked about)

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2021
Hi guys, new to the forum. Does anybody have the centre console removal (cupholder) with pics?

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
Welcome. No pictures, but the workshop manuals are here:

You need to look at the one titled ‘General body repairs, interior’.

There are some posts in the ‘guides thread’ pinned at the top of the Mk3 Leon page page that you may find useful.

The other option may be to look on other threads for MQB platform cars (Skoda Octavia Mk3, Golf Mk7 etc) as the principles for how everything is bolted together is very similar.

Reactions: Steve N

Purplecupra2

Nov 2, 2019
OK, here are the complete instructions for removing the centre console on a Leon Mk3 5F...

1. Lever out the gearstick gaitor and trim panel in the direction of the arrow.

15xpa2c.jpg

2. Open cover #1 and lever the storage tray #2 out of its mountings in the dash panel.

2hdcuo9.jpg

3. Using a hook, unclip the air conditioning controller panel #1 at the points indicated by the arrows and then remove the controller panel.

2wdo5xt.jpg

4. Unplug the connectors #1, #2 & #3 on the back of the contoller panel by sliding the locking element #4 upwards in the direction of the arrow and pressing catch #5 inwards.

2ag5dd.jpg

5. Remove the left footwell side cover on the centre console by unscrewing bolt #2 and pulling the cover #1 downwards out of catches in the directoon of the arrow.

xga3h0.jpg

6. Remove the right footwell side cover using the same procedure as in the step 5.

7. Remove bolts #2, #3, #4 & #5 from the centre console front cover.

335gz0n.jpg

8. Unclip the front cover #1 from the centre console at the front securing clip #3, then at the rear securing clips #2, then lift it out and remove it.

v6jib7.jpg

9. For vehicles with a rear air vent, go onto the step 10, otherwise move the front seats as far forward as they will go and remove the storage compartment #1 from the centre console #2 in the direction of the arrow.

j8fjg3.jpg

10. For vehicles without a rear air vent, go onto step 12, otherwise move the front seats as far forward as they will go and remove the cover #1 from the centre console in the direction of the arrow.

qp4ei0.jpg

11. Detach the air duct #1 to the rear in the direction of the arrow.

2vmj21x.jpg

12. Make sure some blocks are under the wheels to stop the car rolling away and then lower the handbrake lever into its down most position before levering out the handbrake lever trim #1 and pushing it forward until it can be completely detached from the handbrake lever.

15d9f84.jpg

13. Remove bolts #2 from the centre console #3. Then lift the centre console #3, and using the handbrake lever #1, remove upwards in the direction of the arrow.

2ep5091.jpg

14. For versions with a cigarette lighter/socket, unplug electrical connector.

15. The centre console can now be completely removed.

Fitting is the reverse of removal :)
Hi mate, don't suppose you or anyone else has this tutorial with working pictures?

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
It would be nice if the pictures were still there
Have a look at the workshop manuals I sign posted or the guides section at the top of the forum such as this one:

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members