Rear disc heat shield

mike_allison

Nov 25, 2008
Aberdeen, Scotland
Hi guys,

Terrible grinding noise coming from the back of the car at the weekend. Noticed first somehow one of the rear disc heat shields has disappeared! The other has come away from bolt holes and is grinding against the disc.

I think the bolts have corroded. Whilst getting work done the garage has not bothered fitting it back on and the other has now failed hence the grinding on the disc.

Firstly without some work they won't get re-attached as mentioned they have corroded past the point of screwing them back on. Am I okay to just remove the sticking one?

Thanks

Mike

Jfox

Nov 8, 2012
Should be fine to remove them.

I had the same issue but managed to replace.

If I rightly remember if u go for bigger brakes they would have to come off and I can remember reading that Subaru's have a similar issue and people take them off

mike_allison

Nov 25, 2008
Aberdeen, Scotland
Should be fine to remove them.

I had the same issue but managed to replace.

If I rightly remember if u go for bigger brakes they would have to come off and I can remember reading that Subaru's have a similar issue and people take them off

Okay will just take it off.

If I need to replace the discs at any point can always order up some new ones.

Thanks

richicupra

Jan 29, 2012
I replaced one earlier this year, £25 with new bolts.

Note they don't fit over the hub to remove/replace, so to save messing and removing the hub/bearing cut the old guard off and modify the new one by cutting a small piece away like this example:

95a98508ce0c.jpg

Last edited:

mike_allison

Nov 25, 2008
Aberdeen, Scotland
I replaced one earlier this year, £25 with new bolts.

Note they don't fit over the hub to remove/replace, so to save messing and removing the hub/bearing cut the old guard off and modify the new one by cutting a small piece away like this example:

95a98508ce0c.jpg

Yes I thought I might be able to remove the loose one simply by taking off the wheel and pull it out, as the original holes are very corroded. As you mention I think on the rear ones there is no break in the "C" shape. Is that correct?

Did you get them direct from Seat. I would have ordered some new ones from Dave at Sears but don't think he is on the go anymore.

richicupra

Jan 29, 2012
Yes I thought I might be able to remove the loose one simply by taking off the wheel and pull it out, as the original holes are very corroded. As you mention I think on the rear ones there is no break in the "C" shape. Is that correct?

Did you get them direct from Seat. I would have ordered some new ones from Dave at Sears but don't think he is on the go anymore.

Yup they have an extra bit, google "1K0615612P" to see

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.