Mk3 Cupra R alcantara wheel

IndyFR

Sep 29, 2016
I come across this 'xuji suede steering wheel cover' for the mk7 golf's, looks quite similar to the alcantara on the new Cupra R, you just have to stitch it up yourself but I can't find anything similar for mk3 Leon's.
c26d139c61a6d6a7f16929c78810a0d7.jpg
52bccd746a4eb3c7f4da50009c466007.jpg

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

perkman1969

Feb 25, 2015
NE England
I think the steering wheels are all the same - it’s just the centre that’s different across the VAG. I also saw these and was half tempted to try it out - don’t think they were that expensive on AliExpress

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IndyFR

Sep 29, 2016
Ye I thought as much, bit more tempted to get one now

g_berserk

Smartass in training
Oct 15, 2014
Monterrey, Mexico
If the Mk7 kit is anything like the one they sell for the 8th gen civic, then it should have enough slack on the arms to cover the extra section that the Leon has over the GTI.

I have used that brand in the past, and the quality is even better than some professional upholstery works I've seen, and the price it's the best part. so maybe down the road I'll buy one just to see if I can make it work over the original leather to give it extra thickness and that sweet sweet alcantara feel.

who.am.i

Leon FR
Jan 23, 2016
EU
Can agree that alcantara steering wheel is nice. But how long does it last compared to leather wheel?

Poslano z mojega D5803 z uporabo Tapatalk

Ken H

Dec 20, 2015
Cork , Ireland
I remember having a steering wheel just like it on the Clio 172 all those years ago. They look great but become very worn and shabby after a year or two.

who.am.i

Leon FR
Jan 23, 2016
EU
That is my point. My friend said that alcantara is like fresly shaved ***** :)

Reactions: Wings988

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Can agree that alcantara steering wheel is nice. But how long does it last compared to leather wheel?

The VW Golf GTI Clubsport and Clubsport S models have an alcantara rimmed steering wheel, and some owners on the VW forums have commented on the alcantara showing early signs of wear; after just a few thousand miles.

g_berserk

Smartass in training
Oct 15, 2014
Monterrey, Mexico
The VW Golf GTI Clubsport and Clubsport S models have an alcantara rimmed steering wheel, and some owners on the VW forums have commented on the alcantara showing early signs of wear; after just a few thousand miles.

Quite a few years ago we conducted an experiment in the Club Clio where a few of us with alcantara and leather wheels thoroughly washed our hands and avoided any kind of hand cream, lotion or such while the rest went on like any other sane person would do to operate their vehicles.

At the turn of one year, the amount of tear and wear on the "normal cars" was considerable, while those of us who took the extra steps to have decontaminated hands when driving had our steering wheels close to new in appearance and feel.

I know there are a bunch of variables to take in account, but was an interesting experiment nonetheless, and it's something I have been doing ever since in every car I drive. As you can guess, I have never ever had any issue with my steering wheels, be it alcantara or leather, OEM or aftermarket.

Das Chin

Aug 31, 2016
jack at royal steering wheels is your man. http://royalsteeringwheels.com/

I think he is polish so his English is ok but stay with him. well worth the wait!!

he does loads of leather and alcantara re covering at VERY good prices.

and very good work too. you can specify just recover in alcantara, coloured stitching plus add a centre stripe.

he done the steering wheel on my GT3 in dark grey alcantara with red stitching and red centre stripe. amazing job and its the mutts nutz when driving. great feel to it. charged me £200 for the wheel AND the gear lever done in the same material!!

Last edited:

Das Chin

Aug 31, 2016

like anything its how you treat it and look after it.

if you eat in your car and you cover it in food and 5hiut then it will get bad.

mine re cover from jack has lasted 3 years and not a mark on it. I use a cleaner every year once a year and it seems fine. I take off the wedding ring when I drive as that can kill the alcantara gear lever.

who.am.i

Leon FR
Jan 23, 2016
EU
That was my point. Rings,dirty hands, will ruin it a lot faster

perkman1969

Feb 25, 2015
NE England
Don't fit
dfcc9b4052b72cba203dbdc152d85519.jpg

I’ve fitted one from Mewant - it’s for the golf and apart from small areas not covered and the need for some extra padding underneath it on the lower quarters, it fits really nicely, and more importantly it feels amazing, especially in this freezing weather. Thickens the wheel too, which I like.
18f4536ea9c85b9110356e624aecb087.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise