Advice on abandoned car on my drive

MEZ44

Aug 7, 2016
Private property is private property, whatever you do if it goes to court you would most likely win as long as you don't scrap the car...
Older cars should be easier to 'unlock' then handbrake down push out.
Then I would 'disconnect' the battery, to save it from dying :p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kinetic

Nov 18, 2017
The Police can't do anything? Surely they could contact the owner to ask them why they've parked it there and to move it ASAP.

almas09

Jul 31, 2017
Thanks for the replies guys.

I will contact my local garage to see if they have wheel dollies.

Mezz44 - You're right, I was thinking of giving him another week or so before I take any action.

Police say because its on private property, not causing obstruction or danger to another, they can't help or contact the owner.

I can fill out a V888 form, send it to DVLA to obtain driver details but I have to wait 2-4 weeks.

MEZ44

Aug 7, 2016
Mezz44 - You're right, I was thinking of giving him another week or so before I take any action.

Police say because its on private property, not causing obstruction or danger to another, they can't help or contact the owner.

You are quite tolerant, 1 week, I would've done it the next day lol.
The police want to chase bank robbers and drug dealers, they don't want to find someone to move their car off your drive, that's boring!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eltawater

Full and wholesome member
May 1, 2008
Go around the neighbours again and tell them that, sadly, as you have been unable to locate the owner, the car is going to be recovered by a scrappie within the next day.

Might jog a few memories....

russbellrfs

Jan 7, 2018
You have the right to do whatever you please as to park a car on private property you have to gain land owners permission, which he clearly doesnt have.

I work for a local council and deal with these types of enquiries daily. The council i work for would look into this vehicle and basically act on your behalf and track down the owner.

What is the condition of the vehicle like? Well looked after? Has it been parked well on your drive or just dumped? Is it locked?

If local authorities are not willing, then that leaves you with only 1 option of moving it yourself in any way shape or form.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

almas09

Jul 31, 2017
Council basically said its taxed so we can't do anything about it.
Looking through the windows, the car is in a absolute filth state, bags of rubbish and some other items. I am assuming it may contain drugs. I told council this and they're not willing to take that into account.

Police said move it away, if owner turns up, request the amount charged for moving away and then disclose the location.

zeffania

Nov 4, 2016
I'd get a few mates and lift it away, if possible stick it on double yellows too.

My mate did similar with a serial offender blocking his drive. He had a landrover so it was far easier and the owner of the car got a ticket or two! :lol:

Can you see if it is in gear, if not you should be able to even push it even with the handbrake on

pavarotti1980

Jul 18, 2017
Imagine if a window got smashed. It would then be a target for further criminal acts! Police may need to get involved in such cases

Failing that bounce it onto main road

Last edited:

almas09

Jul 31, 2017
I haven't checked if it is in gear, I will take a look.
Lol a ticket or two would certainly get someone's attention.

almas09

Jul 31, 2017
Imagine if a window got smashed. It would then be a target for further criminal acts! Police may need to get involved in such cases

Failing that bounce it onto main road

This is exactly what police told me.
Maybe a safe road nearby might be suitable.

I genuinely want to dump it at scrap yard lol :whistle:

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
Hi all,

Woke up on sunday 21/01 to find a black Celica parked on my drive.
Unknown to myself or neighbours, owner hasn't returned and to add more fusration, council or police can't do anything about it because it's taxed.

I'm thinking of getting it towed away to another street, but police say if it is damaged, I can be charged for it
:censored:
Any suggestions?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bvudndbxbyv4r0s/Photo 21-01-2018, 10 43 23.jpg?dl=0

This solution to this problem is really simple.

The car is currently parked on private land, yes?

Well, towing it or moving it away from that private land puts it on public land. It is here where any potential issues arise. Any damage on public land could constitute a criminal offense.

So, here's your solution:

You can ask the DVLA for the keeper's details if you have a valid reason. I think the service costs money though. Contact the keeper through there. If you can, apply for the V5 for the vehicle.

Personally though, I would torch the ****ing thing on my driveaway, burn it to the ground, and then throw the scrap into a skip.

Last edited:

Shaady

Jan 25, 2017
Get a mate with a van or something to drag it somewhere public, totally not your problem then, and you can be pretty certain the police and council will do something about it once its not on private property.

Or just get something and block it in and forget about it, and claim you dont have the ability to unblock it when they turn up asking to drive it away

CAPS_LOCK_STUCK

Aug 11, 2017
Worcestershire
I think it's just a case of the Police being lazy, technically the owner has broken the law, I am sure this would be categorised as trespass which is an offence, so the police should obtain the details of the registered keeper and contact them.

Kinetic

Nov 18, 2017
I think it's just a case of the Police being lazy, technically the owner has broken the law, I am sure this would be categorised as trespass which is an offence, so the police should obtain the details of the registered keeper and contact them.

Let's put it to the test, park on a coppers drive and see how long it takes to get a phone call.:D

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.