500 mile review

Peter

Jan 5, 2018
West Sussex
Well, we’ve had our Ibiza just over a week and it’s just ticked over 500 miles which is enough time to have given it a good go on a number of roads, so I thought I’d jot down my thoughts in case it’s of any interest / help to people thinking of buying one!

Firstly, the spec. It’s an FR with the 115 PS TSi engine and seven speed DSG ‘box. Desire red and with the standard cloth interior. It should have had Alcantara, but that’s another story... I wanted to recreate as best I could the spec of our A3 e-tron. The FR was the default option as it’s the only one available with the DSG transmission, which we wanted, and you can only have the 115PS engine. I added a panoramic roof, 18” wheels, keyless entry, adaptive cruise control, dual zone climate control, vision pack and LED lights.

Performance wise it’s fine; it didn’t really get a proper running in as it’s first journey was 272 miles. Suffice to say that it was driven like any other car, and it never felt slow or underpowered. The gearbox isn’t the smoothest when setting off, but the gear changes are very quick and smooth, though it does like to get into high gears quickly. I’ve configured ‘individual’ to have the engine in ‘sport’ (sharper throttle response and, I think, quicker to kick down) with the steering in ‘comfort’. Seems like a good combination, though unlike the BMW ‘sport’ doesn’t lock out the stop/start. It’d be better if it did, because I think part of the problem when setting off is the car starting again. I have to remember to deactivate stop/start each time. It picks up speed briskly enough, and so far has averaged 43mpg per the OBC. Seems fair enough, and I imagine will improve a bit.

Ride and handling on the 18” wheels are, to me, pretty good. The ride is firm, but not to the point of being uncomfortable, and it handles bumps and potholes well. Placing the car in corners is very easy, and it turns in crisply even when the steerings in comfort. It’s hard to describe, but it has the feeling of being solid yet insubstantial if that makes sense? By which I mean it deals with lumps and bumps very well, even though it also feels light. Comfort wise I find the front seats easy enough to get comfortable in, and I got out after the first 5 and half hour journey feeling fine. I stopped just once to fill up with petrol about 30 minutes in to the journey, and after that just kept going. Plenty of space in the front, and headroom is fine even with the panoramic roof. Road noise could be better suppressed, but I don’t know if that’s excacerbated in ours by the 18” wheels and panoramic roof.

Thoughts on spec? The Alcantara would have lifted the interior - I’m still mildly annoyed about that, and a spare wheel was a silly omission. Having lived with the car I think the £160 on the wireless charging stuff would be money well spent, as it’s exactly where you’d leave your phone. Using USB is easy enough, but then it want to use Apple CarPlay and stops you using your phone as an audio source via USB. The standard stereo sounds pretty good; I don’t see the value in a £325 upgrade, but your mileage may vary! I’m not really a fan of the 18” wheels so would probably skip them next time, though they do make the car look good... The lack of electric rear windows didn’t bother me, until I climbed into the back to fit the front centre arm rest. Then I saw them and thought ‘why?!?” :cry:

Other irritations? The touch screen gets very smeary very quickly, as does the high gloss dash. That’ll scratch easily too I imagine. I have to remember that it is, relatively speaking, a cheap car because the hard plastics on the dash (not so noticeable as how often do you touch that) and doors (frequently touched) are not great. Well put together, and no rattles, but not exactly great to the touch. The lack of electric rear windows is kind of okay, but the lack of grab handles in the roof less so. That is annoying! The inability to spec a front centre armrest is also surprising, but it’s an easy enough DIY fit for under £100. The only other bit of kit that it would have been nice to be able to specify would, for me, have been heated seats. On the other hand, I’ve just specced the new Polo with the same engine, gearbox and, as best I could, toys and it came to over £26k at list price. The SEAT’s list price was, from memory, at least £5k less than that. And the Ibiza looks a lot better than the Polo :)

Summary? Very pleased with it. It looks great, the performance is good, it’s fun to drive, is well kitted out and seems well put together. It feels like a proper car :)

And finally, it has now been cleaned following its baptism of slush and salt the day I picked it up, and in the sunshine and clean it’s looking pretty good :)

https://ibb.co/b1zmdS

Just my thoughts; let me know if you have any questions

Peter.

Last edited:

jeddy74

Feb 11, 2018
Great write up Peter. Really interesting to hear your thoughts so far. Picking our new Ibiza up next month hopefully so on here a lot looking for as much information I can get during the wait.

Woksin

Dec 13, 2017
Leicestershire
My car recently passed the 500 mile too! I totally agree about your review, though I wish you had the alcantara because it really makes up for the plastics on the inside. I too wish we had heated seats. Makes no sense to me that Greece, a nation we all to be very ‘Cold’ has them, yet sunny Britian doesn’t. Joke intended.
The one thing that surprises me a lot is your MPG, I’ve got the 1.5 engine and the cylinder shut off is great but I thought our fuel economics would be very similar. I’ve averaged 47.4 MPG so far and it seems to get higher each day. I’m sure if I reset the milecount in the options and took out the first few days of new driving we could be looking in the 50s!
I’ve got the Beats audio too, sounds good I like it.
The entertainment screen on the other hand, whilst being very nice quality and crisp screen resolution and response, it does seem to have a few bugs which can be so easily patched with an update but I feel like this may never happen. Shame really.
Love the car though, like
LOVEEEE

Peter

Jan 5, 2018
West Sussex
I think the average for us has been massively skewed by the first 272 miles of motorway driving in cold conditions, then slush and slow. I will admit to not adhering to the speed limits on the dry sections of the journey pre snow however...and having redlined it a few times since ;)

Today’s 25 miles running around showed 47.4 mpg for the trip though, and despite what they say I’m sure the DSG box is less efficient than a manual driven well!

Edited to add, I’m in two minds about the vison pack as well. Rear parking sensors are helpful I think, and they’re around half the price of the vision pack. The camera that comes as part of the back is not something I ever use; looks great on the screen, but I’m either checking the mirrors or looking behind when I’m reversing, not staring at the screen!

I think my ‘perfect’ spec based on things that either are or were available on the FR on another Ibiza is:

115 TSi DSG
Desire Red / Alcantara (currently unavailable)
Panoramic roof
LED Lights
17” bi-colour wheels from the Xcellence
Rear electric windows from the Xcellence
Adaptive Cruise
Dual zone climate control
Keyless entry
Wireless charging
Rear parking sensors
Spare wheel
Front armrest (£98 and 10 minutes to fit as an accessory!)

Then things that aren’t available on the Ibiza at all...
Heated seats

Last edited:

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
Good mpgs both. Do a few brim to brims and see how accurate it is. The last 2 SEATs we had were 6 - 10 % optimistic. I hope the new one isn't, showing just 46.

Last edited:

Woksin

Dec 13, 2017
Leicestershire
Edited to add, I’m in two minds about the vison pack as well. Rear parking sensors are helpful I think, and they’re around half the price of the vision pack. The camera that comes as part of the back is not something I ever use; looks great on the screen, but I’m either checking the mirrors or looking behind when I’m reversing, not staring at the screen!

The lines are useful for me as our driveway is tight and so much squeeze onto the edge without getting onto the grass. I do use my mirrors a lot but I do find the camera is also very useful for reversing into car park spaces, the red line shows where you should be and I find that useful. I don't think it's fair to put a negative on the ibiza for the camera though, as most cars nowadays will have them as it's your choice to look or not.

Peter

Jan 5, 2018
West Sussex
No I didn’t mean to be negative; was just pondering that if I ordered again I’d probably just go with the rear sensors :)

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
I'd go for the vision pack. I had a Mustang V8 and an F150 Supercrew that both had sensors and a camera - which was absolutely essential on both. The current 'stang has no rear visibility at all, and the F150 was 19 1/2 feet long! Both gave me a taste for accurate reverse parking using the camera.

Last edited:

foffis

Feb 2, 2018
Hi, nice review... Our Ibiza is fitted with electric windows in the rear! And we have heated seats...
Are they removing stuff to fit cheaper parts??

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Peter

Jan 5, 2018
West Sussex
Hi, nice review... Our Ibiza is fitted with electric windows in the rear! And we have heated seats...
Are they removing stuff to fit cheaper parts??

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

I think it’s a SEAT UK decision on specification, presumably to hit a price point. But at least let us choose them as options!

markm49uk

Oct 15, 2015
Hull,UK
I currently drive the 2016 Ibiza FR 150. Absolutely love the engine and one of your comments surprised me. The front part of the dash in my car is a soft squidgy plastic and it makes the car feel a little more expensive. Are you saying that even the FR range in the 2018 model do not have any soft touch materials on the dash?

If so that would actually put me off from buying one when my contract ends ?

farrar

Mar 18, 2005
I currently drive the 2016 Ibiza FR 150. Absolutely love the engine and one of your comments surprised me. The front part of the dash in my car is a soft squidgy plastic and it makes the car feel a little more expensive. Are you saying that even the FR range in the 2018 model do not have any soft touch materials on the dash?

The FR dash is better if you spec Alcantara seats.

Woksin

Dec 13, 2017
Leicestershire

The alcantara makes it nice and squishy

Peter

Jan 5, 2018
West Sussex
The FR dash is better if you spec Alcantara seats.

You can spec them (well, you can’t at the moment...) but that’s no guarantee you’ll get them :lol:

What they do is replace the high gloss black plastic dash finisher with the red stitched leatherette, which is soft feel... the actual dash is still the same hard plastic as the door casings.

jas24

Oct 10, 2017
Nice write up Peter! I definitely see where you're coming from with the reversing camera - I'm always looking back!

Maybe it's just a case of old habits though, there's nothing wrong with the camera and it's fairly clear, but find I get a better feel for my bearings with the old over the shoulder approach!

G.P

Sep 3, 2011
Worcestershire
I’ve just specced the new Polo with the same engine, gearbox and, as best I could, toys and it came to over £26k at list price. The SEAT’s list price was, from memory, at least £5k less than that. And the Ibiza looks a lot better than the Polo :)

Was the Polo you spec'd the GTi, as when I was looking the GTi was under £20k after the dealers discount, which given its 2.0 4 cylinder engine made it IMO an excellent value car whatever extra you added. As for which one looks best well, who knows, the Polo GTi is the only Polo I'd go for, just like the FR Ibiza, if however we could get emotion red. Shame the doors don't close on the new Polo like they did on the old one through..

Peter

Jan 5, 2018
West Sussex
No, it was the 115 PS DSG R-Line. But add LEDs, Nav, Panoramic roof, adaptive cruise, climate control, metallic, upgraded alloys and a few other things and the price rockets!

https://ibb.co/c0F407

Last edited:

rcopus

Jun 6, 2012
Midlands
Think the usefulness of the reversing camera depends on the car.
I can hardly see anything out the rear of my car which I think is why even the base spec has the camera as standard.

markm49uk

Oct 15, 2015
Hull,UK
You can spec them (well, you can’t at the moment...) but that’s no guarantee you’ll get them :lol:

What they do is replace the high gloss black plastic dash finisher with the red stitched leatherette, which is soft feel... the actual dash is still the same hard plastic as the door casings.

Shame. Seems a backwards step to me - hard plastics just seem cheap.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise