Condensation in light cluster

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
True. though when I asked what's the chances of it happening again the chap said they're from a different supplier and wonder crack like the previous. Only time will tell I guess

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Who knows with time and if you read the manufacturers name on it. As I understand it they are Valeo and the brand new units from Euro car parts are Valeo.

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
They don't give a **** about the customer as soon as you have the car off them. The impression I get is that it's not their problem.

Sadly it's only as good as the 'trained seat technician' doing they job.

If they are one of these that hates going to work and doesn't care about cars it won't help, although you could argue they are in the wrong job.

Of course there are probably many who are enthusiastic like us owners and get it spot on

Reactions: Glarh

Glarh

Apr 6, 2016
Sadly it's only as good as the 'trained seat technician' doing they job.

If they are one of these that hates going to work and doesn't care about cars it won't help, although you could argue they are in the wrong job.

Of course there are probably many who are enthusiastic like us owners and get it spot on
I fully agree mate. It's a shame especially as you say us being the owners want it to be as close to perfect as possible. Shame though. Was a ball ache getting them too do it. Even with extended warranty (they stated the warranty being extended does cover it or some bollocks) they said they would do it as a good will gesture which was annoying as it was a 100 mile round trip.

Reactions: kevster184

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
Even with extended warranty (they stated the warranty being extended does cover it or some bollocks) they said they would do it as a good will gesture which was annoying as it was a 100 mile round trip.

At least my dealer confirmed with my 5 year warranty from new that the light will be covered for that period (which is to years from now)
Bet you only get 12months on a non warranty job.

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
"can some one come and fit this light to my car correctly?" I said take it out and put it back in again and low and behold it fits much better.

Well today I had a very long chat with the service manager and workshop controller (to disscuss this and my list of others issues after a service)

Pretty much asked them the same, which they offered to do. They took the car in the workshop and within a few minutes it was perfect.

Happy now!

Glarh

Apr 6, 2016
Well today I had a very long chat with the service manager and workshop controller (to disscuss this and my list of others issues after a service)

Pretty much asked them the same, which they offered to do. They took the car in the workshop and within a few minutes it was perfect.

Happy now!
Ah that's great news bud. Glad it's all sorted. Nice when a plan comes together

Reactions: kevster184
Apr 30, 2019
I have a similar issue - was hoping someone could help?

I have a 2014 Leon, bought it used in Sept 2017. Both warranties are out now.

I have condensation getting worse on my rear right cluster. This started when it was in warranty, but I didn't raise it. Instant regret.

I took my car in for service with Seat in January,, but they failed to let me know during their walk-around of the vehicle. They didn't even do the video they normally do.

Do you think I have any chance of them changing the single cluster for free, under the basis the LED lights should last a life time? Having spoken to Seat Vindis, they brushed off the fact there was any existing bulletin on the issue.

Thanks!

Sam

Last edited:

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
I have a similar issue - was hoping someone could help?

I have a 2014 Leon, bought it used in Sept 2017. Both warranties are out now.

I have condensation getting worse on my rear right cluster. This started when it was in warranty, but I didn't raise it. Instant regret.

I took my car in for service with Seat in January,, but they failed to let me know during their walk-around of the vehicle. They didn't even do the video they normally do.

Do you think I have any chance of them changing the single cluster for free, under the basis the LED lights should last a life time? Having spoken to Seat Vindis, they brushed off the fact there was any existing bulletin on the issue.

Thanks!

Sam

As far as warranty is concerned what I learnt is it's covered if the cause is not from external damage.
If you have no warranty on that (I assume it's 3 years from new) then knowing the VAG group then you don't stand a chance, even if the dealer is helpful. They have to meet the criteria.

You can always ask.....

Failing that try Euro cars parts, £140 last time I checked.

Apr 30, 2019
As far as warranty is concerned what I learnt is it's covered if the cause is not from external damage.
If you have no warranty on that (I assume it's 3 years from new) then knowing the VAG group then you don't stand a chance, even if the dealer is helpful. They have to meet the criteria.

You can always ask.....

Failing that try Euro cars parts, £140 last time I checked.

Thanks for that - I'll probably fork it out on euro car parts - do you know if it's straight forward? I noticed there's a weird key to open it up the cluster, I presume that should be straight forward with a screw driver...?

The right cluster does wabble a tad and I've only just noticed a crack now, that's definitely not as a result of having the vehicle myself!

Cheers

Sam

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
Thanks for that - I'll probably fork it out on euro car parts - do you know if it's straight forward? I noticed there's a weird key to open it up the cluster, I presume that should be straight forward with a screw driver...?

The right cluster does wabble a tad and I've only just noticed a crack now, that's definitely not as a result of having the vehicle myself!

Cheers

Sam

It's not hard but you need to gen up on how it works.

You have to be careful, very easy to break the lens, fixing lugs or mark the paint. I had both off to fit my rear camera but it's been over 4 years. The factory had taken paint off fitting them and you will have seen on previous pages on this post it takes main dealers more than one go!

I think there is a guide on here somewhere. Probably in the book for the car too. Maybe you tube videos by now.

The fixing screw is a square hole, I shaped a piece of wood.

The issue from factory is over tightening this screw!

Weak and a poor design but many manufacturers have the same design.

Scottrick

Oct 1, 2018
Northern Ireland
I have the same issue on a 2015 fr, water in both taillights.

LHS indicator stopped working so I thought it blew, removed the tailight and it was swimming in water. Board was replaced under warranty and everything good but there's always condensation but they won't replace it under warranty, they say it's a problem with the car and a new one won't fix it.....!!

Worth fighting for or are they right? Or are they just trying to save a few pound?

stevenboot

Sep 27, 2016
So I took mine off, removed a bulb holder bit (I have 2014 tech pack) and then blew hot air in with a hair dryer. Put it all back together and sealed the crack with rubber sealent.
It seems to have worked for car washes but the real test will be winter.
Just be careful with the hair dryer, don't heat it too much....

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Apr 30, 2019
So I took mine off, removed a bulb holder bit (I have 2014 tech pack) and then blew hot air in with a hair dryer. Put it all back together and sealed the crack with rubber sealent.
It seems to have worked for car washes but the real test will be winter.
Just be careful with the hair dryer, don't heat it too much....

Good suggestion, I was thinking about the hair dryer trick - I think adding some sealant where appropriate is a good shout!

I have the same issue on a 2015 fr, water in both taillights.

LHS indicator stopped working so I thought it blew, removed the tailight and it was swimming in water. Board was replaced under warranty and everything good but there's always condensation but they won't replace it under warranty, they say it's a problem with the car and a new one won't fix it.....!!

Worth fighting for or are they right? Or are they just trying to save a few pound?

Seems like it's impossible out of warranty!

Seat Vindis customer service is laughable to be honest. Rude and useless!

IL Cattivo

Apr 12, 2019
Oxford
Hmm.. Going to have to check mine now as i've only had my Leon FR for 3 weeks (65 plate), so am still well within the 3 month warranty from purchase. Luckily I work over the road from the dealer I bought it from so won't have to go through a long distance mission to get anything fixed like others have in this thread. Fingers crossed my units were identified and replaced before I bought the car, but will double check nonetheless...

Good to know these common problems.

stevenboot

Sep 27, 2016
Btw, I think a little too much heat causes the red coating within the lamp to disappear but it could have been like it before.....
I may have lost a tiny bit, but only someone with OCD will notice

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members