Anyone with a Mk2 who used to have a Mk1?

CupraMark

Jul 1, 2016
As the title says really.
I currently have a Mk1 Leon Cupra R and have never really gelled with it. It's rapid with a stage 1 revo on it but I can't get over how harsh the ride is despite having it just over a year and 3k miles.
I spotted a 2008 mk2 cupra and I'm sorely tempted by it. I'd just like to know if the running costs are any better with it in terms of mpg etc. How the ride is compared to the stiffness of the Mk1 and what it's like hooning it.
You've probably guessed that I'm open to selling my Mk1 so if you're interested let me know.

bete noir

Green Meanie
Dec 11, 2008
Last Resort
I had two mk1 Leons, a '00 Cupra and an '05 Cupra R, and now I have a '10 mk2 Leon Cupra R.

The ride on my first mk1 was fine, although that could be because I had it from new. The ride on my mk1 LCR was horrible when I bought it, due to having awful FK coilovers fitted. I replaced them with Bilsteins, which were brilliant. Is your Leon suspension standard, and is it in decent condition or showing signs of wear? I do not think it should be harsh, but everyone has their own expectations / requirements I guess.

I cannot really comment on the mk2 LCR suspension, as I changed mine for Bilsteins (again) fairly quickly. The mk2 is in a different class performance-wise. My mk1 LCR was stage 2, and my mk2 is stage 1, but the mk2 is significantly faster (315bhp compared with ~280bhp makes a difference!). I cannot get the same fuel economy from the mk2 I used to get from the mk1, even on a run I struggle to get 30mpg, whereas the mk1 would show 35mpg if I was feeling gentle.

Reactions: Jimbobcook

andycupra

status subject to change
funnily I had a MK1 cupra, where the ride was crashy and harsh. later fitted with coilovers fitted by AMD, worst thing I have ever done with a car in 25 years, its was awful. - original cupra, were in fact sports, and had 16" alloys as standard, but later were 17" and 18s a popular mod. I think the unsprung weight combination is too high.
On the other hand I had a cupra R also with bilstien suspension, where the ride was way better than the standard and coilover'd cupra. - different wishbones and suspension set up helps. with ARBS front and back it was great fun.

The MK2 is my peronsal opinion is a horrid car and one I would avoid. I know not 1 person who has or had one and been happy.

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
MK2 is my peronsal opinion is a horrid car and one I would avoid. I know not 1 person who has or had one and been happy.
I'm interested by this quote, seems like you've got some anger issues haha all joking aside what makes you dislike the mk2? I've had 2 and both have been the great cars. I'm wondering if I have the same issues but just ignore them lol
Cheers

Reactions: kazand

bete noir

Green Meanie
Dec 11, 2008
Last Resort
later fitted with coilovers fitted by AMD, worst thing I have ever done with a car in 25 years, its was awful.

My experience with coilovers suggests you get what you pay for, so what is pertinent is what make they were rather than who fitted them. As above I had both FKs and Bilsteins fitted to my mk1 LCR at different times, and the contrast between them was night and day.

original cupra, were in fact sports

Not exactly accurate. When the mk1 Leon Cupra was announced (1999?) there was also a Leon Sport. Both had the 180bhp 1.8T and were mechanically identical, but the Cupra had leather interior, electric memory front seats and mirrors, rain sensing wipers, and possibly some other toys, and was 2 grand more expensive. About that time there was a big scandal about the prices we were being charged for new cars in the UK compared to the rest of Europe, and many manufacturers reduced their UK prices as a result. SEAT were cute about it, and claimed to have reduced the price of the Cupra by £2k, but actually they just re-badged the Sport as the Cupra and moved the toys to the options list. I know this because I had ordered my first Cupra and was waiting for it to arrive in the country when all this went on.

The MK2 is my peronsal opinion is a horrid car and one I would avoid. I know not 1 person who has or had one and been happy.

I (obviously) don't agree with this either. I know of no-one who has had a mk1 and a mk2 Leon and even contemplated going back to the mk1.

cupra_ahhh

Nov 4, 2008
Tonbridge, Kent
Just to give you my feedback, I had a Mk1 Leon SE for 4 years which was the naturally aspirated 1.8 20v engine, that was great, smooth and comfortable but not really that quick, but great on long journeys.

I then got the Mk1 LCR which I absolutely loved but after owning it 5 years the hard ride really started getting me down. It was very crashy and hard, much like andycupra mentioned. I also found that it was like an untrained dog on a lead, always wanting to pull, to race or be driven as opposed to just day to day casual driving.

I now have the Mk2 FL Cupra on stage 2. Before I got the mods done, even now in fact, it's a lot more composed and sensible. It's easier to drive, more comfortable, smoother over bumps; it's generally a lot more mature and gown-up than the Mk1. It was a little better on fuel while it was stock and has a ton more features and luxuries.

I think andycupra may have just had a bad egg, I've not had a single problem with mine in the 6 years of ownership. As for everyone else who isn't happy with their Mk2, that's a whole different conversation.

andycupra

status subject to change
Not exactly accurate. When the mk1 Leon Cupra was announced (1999?) there was also a Leon Sport. Both had the 180bhp 1.8T and were mechanically identical, but the Cupra had leather interior, electric memory front seats and mirrors, rain sensing wipers, and possibly some other toys, and was 2 grand more expensive. About that time there was a big scandal about the prices we were being charged for new cars in the UK compared to the rest of Europe, and many manufacturers reduced their UK prices as a result. SEAT were cute about it, and claimed to have reduced the price of the Cupra by £2k, but actually they just re-badged the Sport as the Cupra and moved the toys to the options list. I know this because I had ordered my first Cupra and was waiting for it to arrive in the country when all this went on.

The cupras were sports, but with the optional extras such as leather memory seats added. they were rebadged as cupras by the dealers..
as you say mechanically they were identical to sports... but with all the options added, so the original cupras were about highspec rather than sporty...

Seat got into a little trouble as they were treading on the toes of audi.. where did seat fit into the VAG group?
Later on, they dropped the sport, added the cupra 4 body kit and called these cupras but did not retain the 'extras;

fozzybear

middle aged speed freak
Feb 4, 2006
halifax,west yorks
had mk1 cupra for 3 years...then got mk2 cupra....10 years ago...and still puts a big grin on my face....has a hard ride but all cupras do...as stiff suspension...but i fully recomend you at least test drive one...you.ll be getting out wallet to get one straight away...fuel is better ..recommend you only use the premium fuel though...ordinary unleaded carbons up rear end and youll feel the power more...can get more to gallon too if you dont thrash about.....i generally get avge 34-38 to gallon

fozzybear

middle aged speed freak
Feb 4, 2006
halifax,west yorks
just to add ....i bought with 10000 on ...now done 143000 regular service and only use 5w 30 fully synth oil...AND still on origional exhaust and clutch.......

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members