Some Engines Removed From Ordering

Scrogg

Living life only a short bus ride from the edge...
Dec 31, 2017
Seems an ideal opportunity to kick off the new non-model specific section of the forum...

SEAT UK have today announced that in preparation for WLTP coming into effect for all passenger cars produced from September 2018 a number of current engines will be removed from ordering on Saturday 7th April:

Ibiza - 1.5 TSI EVO 150
Arona - 1.5 TSI EVO 150
Leon SC - all engines
Leon 5dr - 1.8 TSI 180 manual
Leon CUPRA 5dr - 2.0 TSI 300 manual
Leon ST - 1.8 TSI 180 manual
Leon ST CUPRA - 2.0 TSI 300 manual

Anyone looking to place an order for one of these engines basically needs to do so tomorrow!

Reactions: Syphon

'& Son' managed

Third Party
Mar 2, 2018
South Coast
Wow. Surprised to read that they are dropping any 1.5 litre petrol models - I got the impression from viewing the 4 main VAG ranges that the 1.5 and 1.0 turbos were the future, gradually replacing all the 1.2 and 1.4 TSI's. Sales types at SEAT dealers reinforced this notion.

Maybe these particular Ibiza/Arona versions have proven slow sellers - or maybe they are just 'saving' them to be re-launched with a few tweaks as Cupra models in a few months time?

Only one I'm sad about is the death of my favourite Leon, the SC variant. I strongly urged Father to choose a 1.4 (125) SC instead of the 1.2 5 door that he eventually did.

Not only does the SC look better/more expensive, it's longer front doors would have made his life easier regarding ingress/egress, (he has long legs which don't bend so easy these days)
But he insisted that he wanted a 'four-door' car as he put it, even though he almost never carries rear seat passengers...:rolleyes:

Scrogg

Dec 31, 2017
I very much doubt the 1.5 TSI EVO 150 or the 2.0 TSI 300 are being dropped permanently, they just don't have many of the current/non-WLTP versions left so need to stop taking orders until production of the WLTP-compliant versions start in September.

exmgman

Nov 30, 2009
Engines dropped

Glad I took delivery of my 1.8 Tsi manual 5 door Leon 4 weeks ago!
I did have to wait 25 weeks for it.
I have to ask Why? What have they got fear from WTLP.
It's actually quite economical returned 43mpg on a motorway trip to the West Country.

Ibiza06

Aug 4, 2010
so the fastest manual leon(non cupra) that you can buy now is the 1.4??? Seems a bit depressing. Odd that it hasn’t affected the 1.8 dsg, or is that a typo?

IrnBru

Apr 4, 2018
so the fastest manual leon(non cupra) that you can buy now is the 1.4??? Seems a bit depressing. Odd that it hasn’t affected the 1.8 dsg, or is that a typo?

Can still get the 2 litre diesels, but think you'd be screwed if you're looking for the bigger petrol engine without the automatic.

Scrogg

Dec 31, 2017
SEAT have today confirmed what should already be obvious from my post, that production of Leon SC has now been discontinued, and the model will not be replaced in MY19 or Mk4

They have also confirmed that ordering of the 1.5 TSI EVO 150 engine in Ibiza and Ateca will re-open, but not until "late 2018"

Chester

MPG racer
Mar 25, 2002
Peterborough
Hopefully that means the SC will retain its value better
That would be nice! :)

But as Scrogg says, it's more that the MY2019 models are coming. As long as there is a 3-door Golf, I'm sure there will be an SC. I noticed Audi are only doing the A3 Sportback (5-door) though, so maybe this is a sign of more 3-door hatches going to the wall.

Chester

MPG racer
Mar 25, 2002
Peterborough
The 3-door Golf GTi is all over the Golf part of the website, and only the e-Golf is available exclusively with 5-doors (using the configurator just now).

Polo and Ibiza are only available in 5-door configurations now. I guess if no-one's buying them... Shame.

Scrogg

Dec 31, 2017
production of Leon SC has now been discontinued
Really? I'm surprised nobody has mentioned that before. In this thread, five posts before yours, for example...

SEAT have today confirmed what should already be obvious from my post, that production of Leon SC has now been discontinued, and the model will not be replaced in MY19 or Mk4

Pinky

Sep 27, 2015
You'd have thought Seat.co.uk wouldn't list the Leon SC including the Cupra manual. Carwow dropped the now redundant specs a week or two ago.

Shame really, that the SC is going, as I was looking at another one to replace mine.

Appreciate you spend time keeping us all informed on build times etc Scrogg.

Scrogg

Dec 31, 2017
SEAT UK have today announced that in preparation for WLTP coming into effect for all passenger cars produced from September 2018 a number of current engines will be removed from ordering on Saturday 7th April:

Ibiza - 1.5 TSI EVO 150
Arona - 1.5 TSI EVO 150
Leon SC - all engines
Leon 5dr - 1.8 TSI 180 manual
Leon CUPRA 5dr - 2.0 TSI 300 manual
Leon ST - 1.8 TSI 180 manual
Leon ST CUPRA - 2.0 TSI 300 manual

SEAT UK have today announced that further engines will be removed from ordering on Thursday 10th May:

Leon 5dr - 2.0 TDI 184
Leon 5dr - 2.0 TDI 184 DSG-auto
Leon ST - 2.0 TDI 184
Leon ST - 2.0 TDI 184 DSG-auto

Ateca - 2.0 TSI 190 DSG-auto

Alhambra - 1.4 TSI 150
Alhambra - 2.0 TDI 184
Alhambra - 2.0 TDI 184 DSG-auto

Ateca 2.0 TSI 190 and Alhambra 1.4 TSI 150 ordering will re-open once factory lead times are reduced. Leon 2.0 TDI 184 and Alhambra 2.0 TDI 184 ordering will not re-open.

As before, anyone looking to place an order for one of these engines basically needs to do so tomorrow!

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
Lol! When the Mrs ordered her new Leon, our friendly neighbourhood Seat sales guy was explaining the order lead times to her and how an FR on 17's was an extra 5 weeks and an FR on 18's was an extra 8 weeks. I asked innocently if we could save ourselves a few weeks by ordering one without wheels :whistle:
To his credit, he somehow managed to resist the temptation to call me a smartass (at least to my face)

Jamilarov

May 9, 2018
Scrogg - Heard anything about Cupra 300 manual to be rebranded back to 290 following the added GPF to the engine for WLTP/E6D?
According to head of Seat Czech (and confirmed today by my dealer), there will not be an option for manual in Leon Cupra since 1st September 2018 anymore. I think that it will be the same for UK customers. Also all new cars will use DSG7 transmission. All this because of Euro6d.

Scrogg

Dec 31, 2017
According to head of Seat Czech (and confirmed today by my dealer), there will not be an option for manual in Leon Cupra since 1st September 2018 anymore. I think that it will be the same for UK customers.
If you read the first post of this thread you'll see that UK ordering of manual transmission closed on 7th April.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.