Disappointed with the look of Standard 17” FR Alloys

Jim45

Apr 27, 2018
Dealer supplied pictures of my actual car today, which I haven’t seen before, it’s due for delivery on 14th May (lease).I was originally told it had 18” wheels which I like the look of but sadly it comes with the standard FR 5 spoke wheels which I have to say I don’t like very much, doesn’t look remotely ‘sporty’ to me. It was a stock car which I jumped on to avoid the delivery days so I haven’t been charged any extra for 18” so can’t really complain.

I did ask the dealer if he had any stock cars with 18’s he would be willing to swap with my 17’s as I was happy to pay the difference but he wasn’t taking me on.

I just wish I knew someone who got 18’s and would prefer 17’s and some cash in their pocket but I guess that’s very unlikely. I even think the 17’s on the other models look sportier then the FR variant.

I guess they may grow on me and they will be easier to clean!

Deleted member 103408

I suspect you would also have issues with the lease if you changed the wheels and did not return the car in original state.

Reactions: IrnBru

Jim45

Apr 27, 2018
You’re probably right but as long as they were genuine SEAT rims I guess I would be OK as the lease company would not have seen the car with the original wheels.

I’m happy enough with 17’s just not that rather clunky style, I may buy a set of nice aftermarket wheels and use the existing tyres, keep the SEAT 17’s and put them back on when I return it, at least they will be in great condition!

Jim45

Apr 27, 2018
Yes I think you are right, that’s why I thought I might have got the 18’s FOC, disappointed in the style of the 17’s rather than the size, the ones you linked to look good.

moriarty

Apr 6, 2015
Edinburgh
I swapped the 18s my car was in stock with for 17s off another. 45 profile tyres on Edinburgh's cobbled, potholed or both cobbled and potholed streets are not great. Although they somehow survived the impact from running over a missing manhole cover!!
Car is quieter and smoother on 16" winter tyres so be wary of going up to 18" tyres unless you live somewhere with very well repaired roads.

Jim45

Apr 27, 2018
I swapped the 18s my car was in stock with for 17s off another. 45 profile tyres on Edinburgh's cobbled, potholed or both cobbled and potholed streets are not great. Although they somehow survived the impact from running over a missing manhole cover!!
Car is quieter and smoother on 16" winter tyres so be wary of going up to 18" tyres unless you live somewhere with very well repaired roads.

It’s a pity you weren’t swapping now, you could have had my new 17’s and a few hundred in your pocket for the change! I don’t think anyone lives in an area with good roads these days.

jacko5

Jan 10, 2017
UK
18"s on my FR here in Cornwall ... drive is fine.. pretty good for 18" wheels.

Last edited:

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
Wheels seem a bit of a lottery recently- apparently there have been more than one case where a factory order with standard 17's have turned up on 18's. SWMBO is currently awaiting a ST with standard 17's. Not really bothered about going to 18's given the state of the roads round our neck of the woods, but may just be tempted by these:
https://www.wheelbasealloys.com/alloy-wheels/bbs/sr/grey/17-inch/seat/leon/mk3-5f
Really like those wheels, might be tempted myself!

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
They are pretty smart IMHO.
If you're feeling brave, they also do a diamond cut version....

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
I really like the pre facelift FR standard 17" wheels, minimal spokes and easy to clean.

The post face lift 17" are ok but less sweeping in a sporty way, more smart as said above.

I have a hatred of diamond cut, which is just laquer on aluminium and it just doesn't hold back the water and salt corrosion once chipped or marked IMO.

GrayT

I'm Old
Jul 7, 2004
London
I bought my FR 7 months ago. It was advertised as having 17" alloys although in fact they are 18". I held out to find a car with the performance alloys as i really didn't like the standard ones and i think they suit the Leon really well - more so than the latest version, bit it's all personal prefernce. With the post-winter potholes around I've been a little nervous on low profile rubber but they've held up. Also the alloys don't protrude too much and even though I can only street street park (no driveway) there is not a single scuff or scratch on them. I agree on what's been said about diamond cut. So many examples look really scruffy after a couple of years use.

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
Machined alloys seem the flavour of the month with manufacturers at the moment and some of them look really good ( when they're new)
Shame that they are so magnetic to curbs:banghead:

Deleted member 103408

And they dont do well in the winter either, lots of people who look after the wheels suffering with the worm on the face.

I switch to powder coated and they have lasted much better than the old cut ones.

Jim45

Apr 27, 2018
I definitely wouldn’t like diamond cut or highly polished rims.

Quite fancy anthracite to go with the Mystery Blue but would stick to 17’s so I could transfer the tyres across

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
I really like the pre facelift FR standard 17" wheels, minimal spokes and easy to clean.

The post face lift 17" are ok but less sweeping in a sporty way, more smart as said above.

I have a hatred of diamond cut, which is just laquer on aluminium and it just doesn't hold back the water and salt corrosion once chipped or marked IMO.

@kevster184; I’m with you 100% on the hatred of diamond cut alloys. Had them on my mk6 Golf and in spite of being meticulous in ensuring they were cleaned every 7-10 days, were always protected against the elements with several layers of sealant and wax, and any stone chip damage was repaired with clear lacquer as soon as it occurred, two of them succumbed to white worm corrosion after 2.5 years.

If I had a choice between fragile ‘blingy’ diamond cut or good old durable, hardy powder coated, I’d go for powder coated every time.

I do quite like the standard 17” wheels on the facelift Leon FR, and the added bonus is, as well as being powder coated, they’re not a fussy design, so they’re easy to clean - both the wheel barrel as well as the wheel face.

Reactions: kevster184

Jim45

Apr 27, 2018
The car was delivered yesterday and to my surprise and relief the FR 17’s look much better in the flesh than they do in the photograph I saw, so for now they will be staying.

TheCraftyBugger

May 4, 2018
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
The car was delivered yesterday and to my surprise and relief the FR 17’s look much better in the flesh than they do in the photograph I saw, so for now they will be staying.

I didn't like the look of the post facelift 17s in photos and would have preferred the 18s, but now I've got my FR with the 17s on them they are growing on me.